It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we need religion or is it just a band-aid for our inability to express sadness?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:11 AM
link   
a reply to: Asktheanimals

Cheers to you to

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Every day should be a holy day, every thing should be sanctified, all people should be blessed. Religion is what sets limits on such a task.

Interesting point. But doesn't what is holy imply what is unholy?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 08:43 AM
link   

edit on 6-11-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 09:04 AM
link   
Good thread OP

edit on 6-11-2015 by FamCore because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:31 AM
link   

originally posted by: LesMisanthrope

Every day should be a holy day, every thing should be sanctified, all people should be blessed. Religion is what sets limits on such a task.

One time I was at a meeting of some Native Americans and back-to-Earth types when one of them made a comment about what a sacred place we were having the get-together. I blurted out something to the effect of "what place on the Earth ISN'T sacred?". The conversation changed in a rather meaningful way after that.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
a reply to: frostie

Well, sure. Some people just go to socialize. I'm not talking about those people though. There are people that attend church that are there for the right reasons and are honestly over-filled with joy. I always look at them curiously.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 10:51 AM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy
a reply to: redshift20

Some people require a little more... their heart is empty until they find the higher meaning it's yearning for. THAT is what religion is to many people, and that's cool.

Right, so a bandaid. An effective bandaid. A comforting bandaid. A bandaid, nonetheless.

I could possibly assuage my existential crisis with the belief that when I die I get to choose a super power and continue existing in a new world filled with super heroes and super villains. This could truly bring me comfort in life if I convinced myself it were true. Of course I think most would agree that without any supporting evidence it was merely a psychological crutch. A bandaid.

We do what we have to psychologically to exist in a world full of struggle. I get that.

It's not ALL about what happens after death you know. Religion brings comfort to people while they are on this earth as well. Whether or not it's a truly a bandaid is something we'll all find out eventually I suppose.

As long as they're not harming others, I try to respect people's beliefs.. no matter how much I disagree. As you said, we do what we have to psychologically.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 11:54 AM
link   
Sounds similar to the day of the dead.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Religion is a drug. When used in the right way, it can benefit everyone, believers and non-believers. It can bestow a sense of community and acceptance. It can bring people into our lives who give us support and comfort. That is what it should be.

Today it is only a benefit to those who are part of the cliques. The non-believers are the enemy. And the shared community values are ones of bigotry and hate. Comfort is given, but only if paid for. Narcissism and self-righteousness run rampant and if you do not believe then you have no worth.

Why is the Catholic Pope held in such high esteem, especially by the non-believers? He shows acceptance despite his beliefs. I'm sure he would welcome equally those who love him and those that despise him. Honesty and compassion, those qualities that those in sheep's clothing yell from the pulpit yet never actually living up to what they preach.

That is religion, at least the Christian one.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 07:50 AM
link   
a reply to: ObservingTheWorld

Like using opium medically vs recreationally.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   
Religion's death knell tolled once guns were invented. After a means by which the masses could be reasonably controlled without having to devote one master to each and every serf, the necessity for a metaphysical 'sword of Damocles' diminished in importance.

Today, if you do something wrong, you're jailed or killed. There's no need for hell fire and torture when you already have it (and can enforce it) in corporeal form. ┼

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 12:40 AM
link   
I think many of us feel a little helpless from time to time, in this big world full of pain and tragedy. We can't blame people for looking for answers and comfort.

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:05 AM
link   
a reply to: redshift20

It's not ALL about what happens after death you know.

Yes it is.

All actions done within the context of religious belief is done so with the belief it has bearing towards events that shall occur in an afterlife.

Religion brings comfort to people while they are on this earth as well.

Which was in fact my entire point. I guess you missed it? Yes, it brings them comfort while on Earth. A bandaid. That was my post.

Whether or not it's a truly a bandaid is something we'll all find out eventually I suppose.

Indeed. We all will. Or we all won't.

As long as they're not harming others, I try to respect people's beliefs.

Which is the crux of the issue. Harm that is..
edit on 8-11-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 02:16 AM
link   
a reply to: woodwardjnr

I don't blame them at all. We all do it. Life is hard and full of suffering. Being compassionate to that is admirable. If it weren't for the fact the Abrahamic religions were such a conduit for hate and ignorance I would support it simply because it seems to alleviate pain for many believers.

It's my strong opinion that religion causes more pain in this World than it alleviates.
edit on 8-11-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 8 2015 @ 11:34 AM
link   

I think religion can be a way to express joy as much as sadness

It's a metaphor for the mystery of our existence - good and bad

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join