It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bernie Sanders files marijuana bill in Senate

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:48 PM
link   
I'd like to see your data. Post your source(s), if you would be so kind.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:56 PM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

You talkin' to me? Click the reply button and then we'll know who you're asking for sources.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

originally posted by: Nyiah
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Ask the states that legalized it how it's going for them. There's your answer. As for motivation, that's a dead horse argument that's been beaten & disproven time & again. Why keep coming back to the stupid reefer madness-era propaganda?

I love this site just look at those stars.. u2 kids

really? so you think smoking marijuana constantly for weeks on end doesn't give people a lack of motivation? a lack of going out there and doing something?

What junk science is that.. I'm talking from experience. if you sit at home and smoke day in day out you don't feel like doing crap. Your social skills deteriorate and your kidding yourself if you think they don't.

What junk science are you providing to suggest Federal decriminalization will lead to "you sit at home and smoke day in day out you don't feel like doing crap"? You may have done so (e.g. "i'm talking from experience"), but please show me hard evidence that Federal decriminalization will do so. Otherwise, you're just ignorantly asserting that decriminalization will result in "smoking marijuana constantly". Do some research, like starting with DEA's latest assessment on nation-wide drug usage and trends. I'll save you the trouble of thinking critically and provide the science for your here: DEA's Threat Assessment

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:04 PM
link   
a reply to: darkbake

This is a good thing

It's another step in the right direction; and even if Sen Sanders' bill does not come to fruition, it keeps the issue in the forefront and increases awareness among the people... but I'll still keep my fingers and toes crossed that it does pass!

Legalizing recreational Marijuana in the USA is a dangerous thing..

I understand why you feel this way... I've been subject to the same fear-mongering and propaganda that you have... but after researching the medicinal benefits of cannabis, I've come to the realization that it's the criminalization of recreational marijuana which is the most dangerous thing. In the final analysis, its virtues overwhelmingly outweigh it's vices. Our bodies' immune systems are literally made to respond to the cannabinoids found in marijuana; and the most powerful ones are actually non-psychoactive, although THC definitely has its value as well. Too many people are suffering and have suffered (and, yes, even died) because marijuana has been politically demonized and criminalized.

One example: Clinical research going back to the 1950s (!!!) shows that the cannabinoids Cannabigerol (CBG) and Cannabidiol (CBD) are very strong antimicrobials in general, and antibacterials in specific, which is what MRSA (methicillin-resistant staphoccocolus aureas) is. For some MRSA patients, it causes very painful skin abscesses. For other patients, it's in their blood and their lymph glands, causing opportunistic infections like sinus infections and kidney infections, or even sepsis. It can get into the bone marrow (osteomyelitis). It can also get to the heart (endocarditis). Conventional medicine can treat it. Conventional medicine can manage it. But convetional medicine cannot cure it. I shudder to think how many people could have -- and SHOULD HAVE -- been spared their suffering, and even death, if not for the criminalization of this humble but blessed plant. The most pathetic part is that these specific cannabinoids are found in their highest amounts in plain old non-psychoactive industrial hemp! But because of the irrational fear created by monied interests, even industrial hemp has been vilified and to certain extents criminalized. Consequently, right this very minute there are people dying because of a bacterial infection which conventional medicine does not even pretend to know how to cure... but if those same people try to cure themselves with this God-given plant in accordance with their natural rights (and, therefore, Constitutional rights under the 9th amendment), they can and will be persecuted at the point of a gun under color of law. That's just not right. We can and must do better.

So I really hope you will reconsider your position on the de-criminalization of this wonder plant, while still keeping in mind the legitimate concerns that you've cited, because creating new policy going forward -- effective and responsible policy -- will require addressing the good, the bad and the ugly.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: HighDesertPatriot
a reply to: Krazysh0t

You and your pothead friends should learn some geography.

I'd rather not. It makes my joke more funny to me. Especially since you are talking down to me with this post like I'm lesser of a person for my hobby that you disapprove of, Mr. HighDesertPatriot.
edit on 5-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:42 PM
link   

Heroin, meth and coke are more dangerous than weed by far. So what if weed became smoked regularly by everyone? You seem to worry that people will become less motivated. Is it all that bad to relax a bit? You seem to worry that it will cause more people to go on welfare. Most of what you are saying is a hyperbole, and even at its worst, you are saying legalizing weed will create lazy people. I doubt there will be a marked increase in people applying for welfare.

At any rate, some people smoke weed to help them get motivated and spark creativity.

In Washington, legal marijuana is regulated so that people have to be 21 or over to purchase it. This is partially because it does have adverse effects on a maturing individual.
edit on 05pmThu, 05 Nov 2015 13:43:49 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

edit on 05pmThu, 05 Nov 2015 13:45:43 -0600kbpmkAmerica/Chicago by darkbake because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:54 PM
link   
a reply to: HighDesertPatriot

I'd like to see your data. Post your source(s), if you would be so kind.

Apparently, this was to me, right? Just saw it in my 'replies' box.
Data for which point(s)?

edit on 11/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

Oh well, in any case, you can start here: norml.org...

edit on 11/5/2015 by BuzzyWigs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:43 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
If you think the average pothead doesn't have less motivation you're in denial.

What's irrational is to think that the legalization would turn everyone into a "pothead".

If that were true, the legalization of alcohol would mean everyone would have become an alcoholic after prohibition...

Talk about a strawman!

Sheesh.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
a reply to: Butterfinger

I'm trolling for bringing up a valid point?

This site gets dumber by the month.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
a reply to: pl3bscheese

The assertion that the legalization of marijuana would turn everyone into a "pothead" has been made many times in this thread. My response was not a strawman. Arguing (as you did) that "potheads" have less motivation is actually the strawman. That's not the topic here. Legalization does NOT equal a nation of potheads. THAT'S the strawman.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:04 PM
link   

a reply to: Butterfinger

I'm trolling for bringing up a valid point?

This site gets dumber by the month.

Don't flatter yourself...your point was much more like opinion based on insufficient data.

and, while I might agree that pot does tend to make the imbiber bit more lazy, especially with heavy use It also tends to make the imbiber find more efficient, logical, and intelligent ways to perform the work ne need to do.

Further, it is rather well established by science that weed, in general, is a good thing...even the harmful effects that logically should be associated, are far less than One would expect.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Legalizing recreational Marijuana in the USA is a dangerous thing..

What a stupid comment..... Care to explain your stupid comment for the rest of us?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:26 PM
link   

It's ridiculous to see ATS can't look at the issue of marijuana rationally. If you think the average pothead doesn't have less motivation you're in denial. Don't care how unpopular the view is it's so easy to see through direct observation of numerous stoners throughout my years. Exceptions don't break the general truth.

Right, screw the facts, the science and the logic. Let's just go with pl3bscheese's "direct observation of numerous stoners" and his sense of "general truth" on the matter.

The epitome of an inflated sense of self-importance and ego is thinking that your anecdotal observations override the facts on a matter.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:27 PM
link   

a reply to: Nyiah

yes, but what happens when its legally sold on most corners in the shops?

dope is short bursts now and then is great. Its relaxing, instills creative idea's, calms people..

but when you smoke and smoke and smoke and smoke you become a drag on society. Your social skills diminish, your enthusiasm and motivation diminishes..

meh whats the point.. you americans always know best.. go for it. legalize it.. rest of the world already has their mind made up on you lot.

What happens?

A big NOTHING.

The people who don't smoke, still won't, the people who do still will without fear of going to jail.

Everything else you're saying is elitist Euro BS.

Americans don't have the "mental Maturity", generalize much?

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:34 PM
link   
a reply to: mulder85

Facts, logic and science?

You guys are retarded! Let's just throw a lot of words out and act like they are relevant to the discussion. It sure makes me look like the good guy!

ATS is woefully lost and highly biased on anything related to marijuana. I'm not afraid to say so and be seen as the bad guy here.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

So I see you're continuing to twist things. No reason to expect any difference if we continue on. I'm stuck to my phone until fully moved in to my new residence so instead of picking apart your fallacies will leave you to your stars from the ignorant.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: tsurfer2000h
But wasn't a big problem with that the monopolization of only a small group being allowed to grow it?

I read that was a big sticking point in the law...even to those who pushed hard to get it passed.

Partially, but at the same time there was an anti monopoly bill on the ballot (which passed, although barely), which would have struck down that part of the marijuana law.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   

The way different people choose to live their lives is a reflection of the choices they make , nothing to do with marijuana. I have a college degree, speak 3 languages , am a husband , a father, and am active in my community all while smoking weed when ever I feelk like. "stoners" don't lack motivation, someone who is a lowlife is gonna be like that regardless of whether or not weed is legal. We've seen nothing but positive outcomes in places where it is legal..lower crime rates, uptick in the economy and the federal government is missing out on tax revenue it could be getting from places like Colorado. Its really a no brainer.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join