It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Let me get this straight...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   
Just watching a show on TV... it said, its illegal in the US to gamble in your own home

Is this actually true?

You can't play poker in your own house, with your friends... and YOUR money?

how the hell is that illegal down there?

What... the government can't tax your winnings thus it can't happen?

what in the F***?!?!?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:26 PM
link   
Lol. Yes, everything you wrote is true and for the reason you speculate.
It's crap but the way it is. Everyone does anyway. Heck, my church has texas hold'em tournaments every now and then. The law is very rarely enforced.

a reply to: Akragon

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:30 PM
link   

Kinda puts that Fantasy Football question, from the GOP debate, into perspective, doesn't it? In some states, you can't even win a lottery from another state, like playing California Power Ball from Hawaii. If you win, you'll have to pay a fine to the state of Hawaii for illegal gambling! They don't even allow church bingo in Hawaii, last time I checked.

Office pools are also illegal in many states, so, sssshhhhhh!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:31 PM
link   

I'll bet you 5 bucks people still gamble at home.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

Likely...

How can they enforce that though... do they bust down your door if they find out you're playing poker?

Might be a silly question considering what I've seen from the police in the states

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:35 PM
link   

Maybe if they THINK you're playing poker, that's probable cause and they don't need a warrant and they bust in your door.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:45 PM
link   
I think that refers to organized gambling.

Like you and your buddies and a case of beer with nachos. No problems.

But if you have house rules, and freinds can bring permissed freinds and you sell pull tabs too, then it gets questionable.

But if you are running books, then you can expect the feds will want to play too.
edit on 4-11-2015 by smirkley because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:07 PM
link   
True Story, my father used to play cards at the golf club he was a member of with a bunch of the other members. One day the FBI raided the men's card room! They couldn't do anything because they don't keep cash on the table, just points on paper that is well understood how much each point is. I couldn't believe the FBI of all would waste their time on this crap. I could see some police department being petty, but not the FBI.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I'm waiting for the underground D&D rings to get broken up... backroom dungeon masters siphoning cash from the imaginative young! A travesty!

We are living in Idocracy...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
For me, waking up is a gamble everyday.

Suck it government people.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy

I see what you did there and raise you $10

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Strip Poker is totally Legal though right?.... .... ...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Yes, unless the clothing can be monetized in the tax code... then you are screwed. By the government, that is...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150
I'm waiting for the underground D&D rings to get broken up... backroom dungeon masters siphoning cash from the imaginative young! A travesty!

We are living in Idocracy...

That's why I always keep my loot in a Bag of Holding covered with an Invisibility Cloak. One day I hope to remember where I put it.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: madmac5150

originally posted by: Darth_Prime

Yes, unless the clothing can be monetized in the tax code... then you are screwed. By the government, that is...

It is in the Obama Care code, page 43,675, section 8 titled "Governmental taxes of gambled away clothing". If you lose a bra, they can legally harvest a spleen.
edit on 4-11-2015 by madmac5150 because: Punctuation... 22 cent punctuation tax paid

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

It's one of those laws that's unenforcable, but gets passed anyway so the politicians can be seen as "doing something about the scourge of our fair land", or words to that effect.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   
a reply to: VictorVonDoom

Ask Hermione, she's the brightest witch of her age...

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:22 AM
link   

Yep - Online poker - I used to make a fair bit when the Americans could play. Not anymore.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 02:41 AM
link   

Me and my buddies like to sit down for a game of cards every now and again. We use bottle caps as chips, and we do not play for money, but it is a relaxing and genteel way to spend ones time!

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Hey Akragon...search around offsite for stupid laws still (from many many years and centuries ) on the books.

Occasionally, you'all find them by state, and under hastags of humor or you wont believe some.

They've just never been removed and are never enforced....never removed. Some are hysterical!
edit on 5-11-2015 by mysterioustranger because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join