It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Group being targeted and killed by police

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
I must admit that when reading threads about police corruption and them killing certain groups of people in the US I though that surely these claims must be exaggerated. So I started to do a little research into all of the police killings this year, and I was shocked at what I found.

As of today, 964 people have been killed by police this year. 95.6 percent of them have been from one minority group, and I have not heard one peep about this outrageous targeting. The group that is being killed off so much is men.

www.theguardian.com...

How can this be? People in the Black Lives Matter movement are outraged that blacks are being targeted, but they are only 23% of victims of police shootings. Where is the outrage over men being targeted?

edit on 4-11-2015 by Grambler because: added link

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Grambler

Oh look another "where is the outrage" anti-BLM thread. Awesome. At this rate, ATS should probably add a new forum.

You're so concerned? Go be outraged then. Nobody is stopping you. Login to Twitter and tweet your heart out about it. Make signs and take to the streets and shout at the top of your lungs until your voice is heard. Nobody is stopping you, least of all not the BLM protesters.

BLM protesters are protesting a cause under a single banner/hashtag/etc and doing so isn't preventing other people (or even the same people) from protesting against anything else. That's not really what this is about though is it?

EDIT:

Also apply your logic to another set of causes and see how ridiculous it sounds then. Would you for instance start a thread to criticize people involved in organizations and events dedicated to curing Diabetes because more people die of cancer each year? Would you argue that nobody should support either of those causes (curing Diabetes or curing cancer) because heart disease is the number one killer of Americans?
edit on 2015-11-4 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   
Surely this has to be satire?

I don't see men as a target...
I see them as likely to be the more volatile sex of the species and therefore more likely to be caught up in such drama.

But let's entertain the notion that 25% of those shot were innocent, we know for sure some of them were...

Were they shot for being men, or profiled for being men...

You may have a slight point.
edit on 4-11-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Soul searching.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
Maybe it's because women are just a bit less aggressive than the average young male and have better things to do than run around town doing stupid #.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:14 PM
link   
Unnecessary.
edit on 4-11-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: Post removed.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   

Clever.

You are ignoring that BLM is focusing on a subgroup of the group you are advocating who are being targeted far more than the whole group on average.

I get the point you are making but you could just keep panning out your camera to say that all humans are being unfairly targeted by disease or natural disasters.

If, within a particular group, another smaller group stands out as a statistical anomaly, it is perfectly reasonable to focus on it.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: introvert
Maybe it's because women are just a bit less aggressive than the average young male and have better things to do than run around town doing stupid #.

Awe crap... you're feeding into his analogy.

Just wait until he turns this around and say that what you said is just the same as when racists justify the abuse of black people by police with the same logic of how white people must simply be doing better things than committing crime. In other words, they truly believe it is because black people are inherently more prone to crime.

This thread is a trap and you just stepped in it.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
I took a break from this site because of crap like this. I come back and it's worse.

Threads like this are turning this site into a joke. They contribute nothing positive. They simply stoke the fires of divide and conquer. Hmm, maybe that's the agenda?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

In no way did I criticize BLM or say that they don't have a right to exists. In fact, my other posts on this ATS say just that.
I mentioned BLM because they are advocating over 23% of the victims, so I thought that a group with over 90% would have people even more outraged.

Using your example, it would be like a someone coming out with an organization to end all cancer, and you yelling at them for taking focus away from the breast cancer movement.
edit on 4-11-2015 by Grambler because: spelling

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:01 PM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

Only thing we have stepped in to is a thread that tries to make some sort of point (possibly political), but fails to take in to account that women have not been a targeted group by police. Therefore, any correlation between the two is irrelevant.

I got this.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:09 PM
link   

#MensLivesMatter

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Abysha

Clever.

You are ignoring that BLM is focusing on a subgroup of the group you are advocating who are being targeted far more than the whole group on average.

I get the point you are making but you could just keep panning out your camera to say that all humans are being unfairly targeted by disease or natural disasters.

If, within a particular group, another smaller group stands out as a statistical anomaly, it is perfectly reasonable to focus on it.

But there isn't a big statistical anomaly within the group. Over 95% of those killed have been men. 46% are white, and 24% are black. Your argument would make apply if a overwhelming amount of the men killed were of a certain race.

Your interpretation would demand an infinite specificity. For example, you say not to focus on just men, because black men are a subgroup that is also targeted. But what if most of the black men killed were thin. Does that mean that we should only focus on that subgroup?

Your claim about disease or natural disaster doesn't fit, because they kill both men and women. Now, if a disease kills one group specifically, then we address it, which happens all the time. So why are people so outraged at bringing up that 96% of those killed are men?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:20 PM
link   

a reply to: Abysha

Only thing we have stepped in to is a thread that tries to make some sort of point (possibly political), but fails to take in to account that women have not been a targeted group by police. Therefore, any correlation between the two is irrelevant.

I got this.

That is exactly my point, women aren't targeted. If they were also being killed at a similar rate to men, then there would be no targeting of a particular group. Why do people see this different when it comes to race? If 96% of people killed by police were of a particular race, all of you would be crying foul. But when it is of a particular gender, you all brush it off.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Grambler

Clever.

But there isn't a big statistical anomaly within the group. Over 95% of those killed have been men. 46% are white, and 24% are black. Your argument would make apply if a overwhelming amount of the men killed were of a certain race.

Your interpretation would demand an infinite specificity. For example, you say not to focus on just men, because black men are a subgroup that is also targeted. But what if most of the black men killed were thin. Does that mean that we should only focus on that subgroup?

Your claim about disease or natural disaster doesn't fit, because they kill both men and women. Now, if a disease kills one group specifically, then we address it, which happens all the time. So why are people so outraged at bringing up that 96% of those killed are men?

24% of them being black is statistically significant when only around 13% of our population is black. And as far as infinitely scaling in, that would certainly apply if it existed and if augmented with corroborating evidence (a history of violence towards black men with three nipples and an increased targeting of them by police, etc).

Since there are no strange statistics that seem to stick out beyond that, BLM is as far as it goes for now. For example, black transwomen are a further subset who are viciously targeted for violence and murder but that's a different matter as it does not involve police.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   
This is cute! Define, "target"? You are all "targets",.. by someone, or organization. I'm a "target"! And have no hard feelings. I just wish they'd bring it! Before I'm to old to see it as a mundane, duty .. You fear. Fear is your downful. I regret, living among you people.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: murphy22
This is cute! Define, "target"? You are all "targets",.. by someone, or organization. I'm a "target"! And have no hard feelings. I just wish they'd bring it! Before I'm to old to see it as a mundane, duty .. You fear. Fear is your downfall. I regret, living among you people.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:59 PM
link   

#WomensLivesObviouslyMatterMoreWhenCopsDrawTheirGuns
edit on 4-11-2015 by NowWhat because: Insects

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:34 PM
link   

originally posted by: intelligenthoodlum33
I took a break from this site because of crap like this. I come back and it's worse.

Threads like this are turning this site into a joke. They contribute nothing positive. They simply stoke the fires of divide and conquer. Hmm, maybe that's the agenda?

It was getting way worse before you joined.. Just saying..

Screw black lives matter.. Everyone's life is the same no matter the color..

What race are you? Am I? And all the other 7.2 billion people on this crap rock? Thats right our race is human.. Not white, black, red, yellow.. Human.. Face it.

originally posted by: Grambler
a reply to: theantediluvian
Using your example, it would be like a someone coming out with an organization to end all cancer, and you yelling at them for taking focus away from the breast cancer movement.

Using another scam..

edit on 11/4/2015 by ThichHeaded because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:13 PM
link   

I'm guessing that you don't live in North Carolina.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:17 AM
link   

24% of them being black is statistically significant when only around 13% of our population is black. And as far as infinitely scaling in, that would certainly apply if it existed and if augmented with corroborating evidence (a history of violence towards black men with three nipples and an increased targeting of them by police, etc).

The fcat is 95% of those killed have been men. This seems to prove that the first criteria used when the police are targeting people is rather or not they are men. If race was more important to their targeting, we would see more than 24% of victims being blacks.

Using your interpretation, shouldn't Black Lives Matter be called Black Men's Lives Matter? Black women are obviously not targeted, (only ten killed this year) so why should they be included in the movement?

top topics

<<   2 >>

join