It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The bible is not

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:34 PM
link   
I just can't believe the nonsense I read from atheists and some Christians on this forum

The issue is the bible, specifically the New Testament and the spin people place on ts teachings to pervert it's message

Number 1
It is written to Christians, it's not written to non believers.
If you don't believe, that's fine, please don't.

Number 2
It's a spiritual book, it's not pro war, pro politics, pro slavery, anti gay or whatever you want it to be.
You can't quote mine it, well you can but you miss the teaching
You can't apply real world understanding to its teachings because it's spiritual, speaking to Christians

I believe there are people who are trying to force the bible on people, people who are not Christian and not spiritual, that can't work.
Also you can not apply a secular understanding without having the spiritual understanding.

I can't understand how secularists read the bible in a non spiritual context, then complain that it is telling them all crazy stuff.
It's spiritual and it's not addressing you

+3 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Raggedyman

You know, IF Christians didn't tell people the bible is meant to be taken literally... or the whole "every word is from God" shtick... secularist wouldn't attempt to read it in such a fashion

In any case non religious people seem to know more about the bible then religionists do anyways

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:42 PM
link   
I think it's dangerous to say exactly what the bible is. It means different things to different people and it's not just for Christians. It's for anyone willing to pick it up and read it.

To me, as a non-believer, the bible is part history, part storytelling and fantasy and even a bit of poetry. Some sections can be taken literally and others not so much.

The bible can still be respected and enjoyed by the non-spiritual.
edit on 4-11-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

+1 more 
posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:44 PM
link   
Spiritual metaphors notwithstanding. It doesn't take a genius to understand the many straightforward teachings in it. And many of those atheists you refer to, used to be serious Christians. They've been on both sides of the fence. "That said"...

Obviously Christians don't understand it either. If they did, there wouldn't be thousands of denominations, and Christians damning one another to hell.

edit on 11/4/2015 by Klassified because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified

Of course you believe that Klass..

I'm not surprised though, since you're not a true Atheist!

I rebuke thee!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
Number 2
It's a spiritual book, it's not pro war, pro politics, pro slavery, anti gay or whatever you want it to be.
You can't apply real world understanding to its teachings because it's spiritual, speaking to Christians

It certainly was those things in the Old Testament.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:54 PM
link   

originally posted by: Raggedyman
I just can't believe the nonsense I read from atheists and some Christians on this forum

The issue is the bible, specifically the New Testament and the spin people place on ts teachings to pervert it's message

Number 1
It is written to Christians, it's not written to non believers.
If you don't believe, that's fine, please don't.

Number 2

I believe there are people who are trying to force the bible on people, people who are not Christian and not spiritual, that can't work.
Also you can not apply a secular understanding without having the spiritual understanding.

I can't understand how secularists read the bible in a non spiritual context, then complain that it is telling them all crazy stuff.
It's spiritual and it's not addressing you

The bible has some wonderful messages in it, and even those of us who don't believe in it's divinity can take some lessons from it.

2nd, who or what gives you that idea that you can tell other people what to read?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
the bible has helped me in so many ways, in my younger years it was the paper i rolled a doob in and when out of tp i used it to wipe with. so thank you bible your pages have truly been there for me

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Thank you for this, and I agree for the most part.

Man has so twisted the meanings in the bible to fit agendas it is no wonder people are so turned off by the actions of many self proclaimed 'Christians'.

To me it is very simple and personal.

Do my best to love God with all my heart and do my best to love others as I love myself. I fail at this on a daily basis but I keep trying.

The only dogma I hold fast to is that Jesus is the son of God who offers us the ultimate Gift. I choose to accept that Gift.

I have Faith that the many questions I have will be answered one day.

Sadly, I can understand the ridicule 'Christianity' gets, but that is for a different thread.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: WakeUpBeer
a reply to: Klassified

Of course you believe that Klass..

I'm not surprised though, since you're not a true Atheist!

I rebuke thee!

Just label me as other. Lol.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 06:29 PM
link   

The religious look to make a temporal law out of the spiritual metaphors. Religion attempts to claim exclusivity of understanding. Thus the Law and the Rituals become equals with obedience. And sometimes obedience is even denied by the Pharisees.

This is what Jesus said about them.

Mathew 15

15 Some Pharisees and some teachers of the law came from Jerusalem to see Jesus. They asked, 2 “Why don’t your disciples obey what the elders teach? Your disciples don’t wash their hands before they eat!”

3 Jesus replied, “And why don’t you obey God’s command? You would rather follow your own teachings! 4 God said, ‘Honor your father and mother.’ (Exodus 20:12; Deuteronomy 5:16) He also said, ‘Anyone who asks for bad things to happen to their father or mother must be put to death.’ (Exodus 21:17; Leviticus 20:9) 5 But suppose people have something that might be used to help their parents. You allow them to say it is instead ‘a gift set apart for God.’ 6 So they do not need to honor their father or mother with their gift. You make the word of God useless in order to follow your own teachings. 7 You pretenders! Isaiah was right when he prophesied about you. He said,

8 “ ‘These people honor me by what they say.
But their hearts are far away from me.
9 Their worship doesn’t mean anything to me.
They teach nothing but human rules.’ ” (Isaiah 29:13)
10 Jesus called the crowd to him. He said, “Listen and understand. 11 What goes into someone’s mouth does not make them ‘unclean.’ It’s what comes out of their mouth that makes them ‘unclean.’ ”

12 Then the disciples came to him. They asked, “Do you know that the Pharisees were angry when they heard this?”

13 Jesus replied, “They are plants that my Father in heaven has not planted. They will be pulled up by the roots. 14 Leave the Pharisees. They are blind guides. If one blind person leads another blind person, both of them will fall into a pit.”

15 Peter said, “Explain this to us.”

16 “Don’t you understand yet?” Jesus asked them. 17 “Don’t you see? Everything that enters the mouth goes into the stomach. Then it goes out of the body. 18 But the things that come out of a person’s mouth come from the heart. Those are the things that make someone ‘unclean.’ 19 Evil thoughts come out of a person’s heart. So do murder, adultery, and other sexual sins. And so do stealing, false witness, and telling lies about others. 20 Those are the things that make you ‘unclean.’ But eating without washing your hands does not make you ‘unclean.’ ”

Religion teaches exclusively, Jesus taught unity...

edit on 4-11-2015 by Isurrender73 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   
The bible is a propaganda piece put in place by those in power to make people complacent and submissive.

It has some great stuff in it but it is a political tool more than anything. Why do you think Rome used it as a central theme in their transition into the Byzantine empire? Because it's a book that teaches us to obey authority and practice pacifism.

The bible is the most popular book in the world, a world that is supposedly run by Satan. Let's put two and two together here.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Number 1 It is written to Christians, it's not written to non believers. If you don't believe, that's fine, please don't. Text

Erroneous claim, how do you think missionaries who went to japan,other Asian countries and/or any other country for that matter were able to convert them to Christianity? It was written by men as a control mechanism for primitive populations, not specifically Christian societies. Which wouldn't exist without new converts so the bible would have to be open to those who don't believe.

Number 2 It's a spiritual book, it's not pro war, pro politics, pro slavery, anti gay or whatever you want it to be. You can't quote mine it, well you can but you miss the teaching You can't apply real world understanding to its teachings because it's spiritual, speaking to Christians

Wrong Jesus specifically mentions a few times how he is not speaking to the God-fearing followers but to those who are willing to listen to his words and follow his actions. Just look at his #ing disciples! This entire OP is riddled with ignorance...

edit on 4-11-2015 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

edit on 4-11-2015 by NateTheAnimator because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Akragon

You know, IF Christians didn't tell people the bible is meant to be taken literally... or the whole "every word is from God" shtick... secularist wouldn't attempt to read it in such a fashion

In any case non religious people seem to know more about the bible then religionists do anyways

I feel like your comments are exactly why the OP made this thread
edit on 4-11-2015 by JDmOKI because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   
Let the Bible define itself. It is the Word of God and the Mind of Christ. Don't believe in God? Don't want to know Christ? Then don't concern yourself with the Bible.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:10 PM
link   
a reply to: stosh64

I have Faith that the many questions I have will be answered one day.

Oh no you will, your just not going to be pleased with whom the answer's are from..

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:13 PM
link   

originally posted by: JDmOKI
a reply to: Akragon

I feel like you comments are exactly why the OP made this thread

And they most likely are, there are a lot of non believers that do not entirely dismiss the bible, but when it is shoved down our throats we gag. I wish every Christian on this website had to profess their denomination, and then those of us who are agnostic and atheist, could just buy popcorn and sit back and enjoy.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:30 PM
link   
a reply to: BubbaJoe

I guess I'm agnostic and I grab the popcorn when i see creationists and atheists fight it out constantly

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
a reply to: NateTheAnimator

Japan and a lots of Asian countries are far from primitive but in fact Japan was simply isolationist. Christianity actually converting a good portion of Japan is actually surprising.

Quite the generalizations though

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: BELIEVERpriest
Let the Bible define itself. It is the Word of God and the Mind of Christ. Don't believe in God? Don't want to know Christ? Then don't concern yourself with the Bible.

So you and your ilk are able to quote a source, that those of us non believers are not able to read. You cannot have it both ways. The bible is a work of fiction over 2000 years old, find me SCIENTIFIC evidence that this is a falsehood. You and your will rot in the fires of hell that you believe in.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join