It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

rabies

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 10:57 PM
link   
does anybody know how soon rabies can be detected in man after being bitten? is there any point in searching or should vaccination or treatment be administered asap?! i went to the er.....but i had the feeling that they were a bunch of hacks and quacks.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:00 PM
link   
When I was younger I got those lovely needles for 14 days. Doctor and Mom didn't believe me when I said I didn't touch a fox that was later confirmed to have rabies.

I don't know how soon it can be detected.. but I remember (vaguely) symptoms can show in about 10 days or up to a few months after.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 11:09 PM
link   
It depends on what bit you... i think you should get treatment asap...

If you are bitten...by a wild animal: an animal control officer should sacrifice the animal. All biting wild animals should be tested for rabies as soon as possible.
....By a cat or dog: obtain information about the pet animal. Include a description of the animal and licensing number or identification, owner's name, address and telephone number and the rabies vaccination status whenever available.

Immediately cleanse the wound thoroughly with soapy water.
Get medical attention. Go to your family doctor or nearest emergency room. DO NOT DELAY CALLING. YOU MAY NEED TREATMENT.
Report all bites to your local health department or animal control agency.

Medical assistance should be obtained as soon as possible after an exposure. There have been no vaccine failures in the United States (i.e., someone developed rabies) when postexposure prophylaxis (PEP) was given promptly and appropriately after an exposure.

Check the link below

HERE

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:11 PM
link   
well seeing as how the dog is my own the doctors won't even tell me if they have the vaccine in premisise. they say as soon as the dog shows symptoms that i should worry....i even had a physician tell me that i shouldn't worry until I started showing symptoms.........idiot.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 04:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by invisiblekey
well seeing as how the dog is my own the doctors won't even tell me if they have the vaccine in premisise. they say as soon as the dog shows symptoms that i should worry....i even had a physician tell me that i shouldn't worry until I started showing symptoms.........idiot.

Has your dog been vaccinated against rabies?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:53 PM
link   
it seems i have found myself too busy for the dog in the first place. im out of town alot and mostly at work. my next day off i am getting that taken care of. my neighbor cares for the puppy while im gone

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:15 PM
link   

my neighbor cares for the puppy while im gone

You better tell your neighbor about it before he/she gets bit then you have a lawsuite on your hands...

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 08:31 PM
link   

it seems i have found myself too busy for the dog in the first place. im out of town alot and mostly at work. my next day off i am getting that taken care of. my neighbor cares for the puppy while im gone

If this is the dog that is only 9 wks old, you will have to wait until it is 12 wks old. First rabies shots are given at 3 months.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 04:11 AM
link   
To be honst, I wouldn't really worry about it.

Do you have any reason to suspect your dog is infected with rabies?
You will know if it has it.

posted on Jan, 7 2005 @ 10:36 AM
link   
The big problem with rabies is that, generally speaking, once symptoms appear in humans it's too late to treat them. That's why the aggressive treatments when people get bit, the vaccinate you immediately because if they waited for you to show symptoms, you'd be well on your way to dieing already, and nothing the doctors can do to stop it.

There are rare cases where humans recover from rabies...IIRC there was a case in the news just the other morning about a girl in California (?) who recovered from rabies. It's a pretty rare thing, though.

Also, the current treatment, while still painful, isn't the grueling 14-days-of-getting-a-big-ass-shot-in-your-abdomen ordeal from the past.

top topics

join