It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

God bless america (Richard Dawkins)

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:11 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

If we weren't meant to think beyond logic and and facts
we would not be able too. Therefore there must be more to
life than logic and facts. Especially atheisms with such boring
limitations.
edit on Rpm110415v12201500000028 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

originally posted by: introvert
Also, believing in god is as ridiculous as believing in UFO's or aliens. No proof for any of it.

There is(or should be) a certain degree of humbleness and humility in believing in a higher power. Humility has always been an admirable trait which I wouldn't classify as ridiculous.

One can be humble and show humility without the need for believe in a higher power.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: woodwardjnr
Another unsurprising display of anti intellectualism from ATS. Idiocracy was a warning not a guide about the future

Yet no fewer than 8 of the 10 highest recorded IQs in the world are self professed people of Faith...
www.examiner.com...

Far too often on ATS prideful arrogance is confused for intellectualism.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

If we weren't meant to think beyond logic and and facts
we would not be able too. Therefore there must be more to
life than logic and facts. Especially atheisms with such boring
limitations.

There could be more to life that we don't know about, such as a god. But why should we worship a god until we know who they even are?

To worship a god you don't even know it quite presumptuous, is it not? You're creating a god in the image you wish it to be.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

"Atheists are idiots with no proof that god doesn't exist."

I love the irony of somebody calling someone an idiot for not doing something that's impossible. You know why there's not a single shred of evidence that god doesn't exist? Because you can't prove that something doesn't exist! Its a logical impossibility. In order to prove god doesn't exist you'd have to first prove that at some point he DID exist, and then later stopped existing... died essentially.

This whole thread is full of people trying to convince each other and themselves that a biologist and a Physicist are actually really dumb because they only believe things that they can equivocally see and measure. This is the kind of logic you get from people who think "The Truth" is something you can "feel."

I'm not a full-on atheist. Hell, if god showed up i'd be ecstatic because that would mean the world isn't as humdrum and dull as I'm afraid it is, but that doesn't mean i'm willing to fool myself into believing something that can't even be tested much less proven.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

I'm not so sure about "humbleness," most religion's (other than buddhism, taoism, and a few other Peaceful religions) core beliefs revolve around them being the Chose Ones, that somehow they are holier than all other religions and sometimes sects of the same religion.

Many Atheists and agnostics i've talked to hold a sort of reverence for the universe. The sheer insignificance you feel when you consider the stretches of time before you, your species, and even life existed, combined with the inconceivable amount of time that will happen after it's all gone.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:40 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: introvert

a reply to: Ddrneville

535 people who aren't as stupid or as arrogant as Tyson and Dawkins.
Claiming to know something they couldn't possibly know?
Not unreasonable at all.

That is exactly what religious people are doing. They claim to know something they couldn't possibly know.

Actually, that isn't true. I would wager many if not most people who have had their personal experiences with God have much more certainty about IT's existence than any Atheist about IT not existing.

because they can think it, DOESN'T make it real!!.....I'll say it again, because humans can think about gods does not make them real...this is all what the bible is about, it's people thinking about what a god would actually be...tell me, how is it that the Christian god has all the failings of humans??.....remember god struck down and killed that woman and turned her into a pillar of salt, because she looked back at gamorrah, or was it Sodom.... killed her for simply looking behind herself....this is who everyone worships?...geez.....god needs an anger class...plus he killed every animal (except 2), and every innocent human during Noahs little sailing adventure, regardless if they had anything to do with "going against god's wrath" (the animals had nothing to do with that).....damn...no inner rage there, right???....if you really think about it....the people THAT ARE religious, are the ones that need to be locked up in one big sanitarium...when I have more empathy for my fellow man than "god" does.....then that god is imagined, period

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:57 PM
link   

Wrong my God created us period. And he has made himself known.
Despite the twisted atheist view. Get used of it, Gods gonna be
around for awhile.
edit on Rpm110415v01201500000032 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:06 PM
link   

Atheism is just twisted and it makes the least amount
of sense as anything I've ever heard.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:08 PM
link   

Part of coming to know God is through the process of worship. Worship is seeking that relationship and finding.

Do you really think yourself so important that God will specially come to you so that you can then commence the process of worship? There is a reason why it is called faith you know.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

I agree that being Agnostic is the most logical position. Atheists are idiots with no proof God doesn't exist. However, many that believe in God have had personal experiences that have proven to them beyond a doubt that God exists. You can discount those because you haven't had those experiences, but as someone who has, I am convinced and as I don't practice any organized religion I don't need to convince anyone else. I am content with my personal relationship with God and I don't need any outside validation. I am just sharing as a courtesy and don't expect or need you to agree.

What was that experience if you don't mind???

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:13 PM
link   
It must be fun to argue with someone about religion AS a religious person. No need to use logic or examples, no need to prove your statements, just made far-reaching claims of a supernatural sort. You get to make declarations like "Everyone who doesn't believe in what I believe is dumb AND a bad person AUTOMATICALLY" then just keep intentionally misunderstanding people as they try to explain to you why they don't believe in your particular brand of crazyness, then dismiss them as fools for not full embracing something that's entirely subjective and impossible to prove or disprove.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:15 PM
link   

Wrong my God created us period. And he has made himself known.
Despite the twisted atheist view. Get used of it, Gods gonna be
around for awhile.

That is your opinion. I respect it, but don't expect me to believe it as well.

Atheism is just twisted and it makes the least amount
of sense as anything I've ever heard.

From the perspective of a believer, I'm sure it does appear to not make sense. As an agnostic, I think both sides of the debate are illogical.
edit on 4-11-2015 by introvert because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6
Yet no fewer than 8 of the 10 highest recorded IQs in the world are self professed people of Faith...
www.examiner.com...

Far too often on ATS prideful arrogance is confused for intellectualism.

Your source is the examiner??? Seriously???

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:25 PM
link   

I don't care what you believe or unbelieve just don't state it as fact and we're fine.
edit on Rpm110415v26201500000048 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:26 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

Part of coming to know God is through the process of worship. Worship is seeking that relationship and finding.

Why would I want to worship or seek a relationship with something that may not even exist? We have to know there is a god before we bow before their feet in worship. Also, it is not part of my personality to worship anyone or anything.

Do you really think yourself so important that God will specially come to you so that you can then commence the process of worship?

No, I do not think I am that important, but that is what it would take for me to believe. Don't you think it is presumptuous to assume you know who god is, what his goals for you are and what his purpose is based only on the writings of men?

What if they were wrong?

There is a reason why it is called faith you know.

Yup. I have no need for faith. There are no holes in my life that I need to fill and even though I was raised in a southern Baptist church, I never had one of those "experiences" that people talk about that brought them to god.

That is why I cringe at those that claim that they have had such experiences. In my opinion, it's no different than those that absolutely believe they were abducted by aliens.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   

I don't care what you believe or unbelieve just don't state it as fact and we're fine.

But it is fact. There is no evidence of god and no logical reason to believe other than the personal choice to do so.

If there is evidence, please provide it. I am open to possibilities, but not blind faith.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

Hey mOjOm what's up?
Same ole same ole here!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:32 PM
link   

Everything you see. But you would twist even that.
Atheism is ridiculous. Everything happens with no reason
at all and then you offer up mice to prove your point.
And say were the ones without reason. What a friggen hoot?
edit on Rpm110415v38201500000019 by randyvs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:37 PM
link   
a reply to: randyvs

Atheism is as ridiculous as your attempts to prove there is a god.

Atheists and the religious are kissing cousins.

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join