It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Official: Illinois cop's death will be declared a suicide

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
So, I have mixed feeling about this story, in regards to the police officer Lieutenant Charles Joseph Gliniewicz. If I recall, when all of this was going down I distinctly remember there being a few reports or may they were rumors, that one suspect had been caught. I don't have a source for that but I do know that it was discussed here on ATS.

The new reports have came in.

Authorities will announce that a northern Illinois police officer whose shooting death led to a massive manhunt in September killed himself, an official briefed on the investigation told The Associated Press.

IMO it just doesn't make the most sense. false info from news sources (no surprise there) massive, I mean massive man hunts for three alleged people that apparently, now never existed. Did they just give up the search? It's just odd.

The investigation into the death of Lieutenant Charles Joseph Gliniewicz determined that the Fox Lake officer died of a self-inflicted gunshot wound, other media outlets reported Tuesday, all citing anonymous sources.

Gliniewicz, a U.S. army veteran affectionately known as "G.I. Joe," radioed on Sept. 1 that he was chasing three suspicious men on foot. Backup officers later found his body 50 yards from his squad car.

Authorities said in October that the officer, 52, was shot with his own weapon.

Of course we all wonder if there's more to the story, which I think there is. For said reasons. Or, maybe it's nothing...

What events about this whole ordeal stand out the most to you?

Source
edit on 4-11-2015 by slapjacks because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:31 AM
link   
Well I would assume whoever he was chasing challenged him, took his gun and killed him with it. But then there maybe would have been finger prints.

So maybe he had his gun unholstered, tripped and shot himself?

Suicide seems very unlikely to me.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   
How likely would it be that he was running with his hand already gripping the gun around trigger and on the upstroke of arm whilst running he accidentally pulled the trigger shooting upwards and striking him.

a reply to: slapjacks

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:47 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

Plausible but I think that's unlikely. considering he was shot twice. once in the chest and once near the top of the chest, I'd be interested to see the trajectory results, but we all know that won't ever happen.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
What stands out to me is, he shot himself twice in the chest/ abdomen.
I guess if he was hiding a suicide, maybe?

But where was the gun? In his hand? Did he drop it, and was able to live long enough to distance himself from the weapon?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   

What doesn't make sense about it? He said he was chasing three people. Then he wound up dead. Why would they not look for those three people? And then stop looking when they determined it was suicide?

The DM is running a report that the cop was suspected of using department money for personal use. If that's the case, taking it with the requisite grain of DM salt, then suicide isn't a reach at all.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
According to one of the articles I read, the Police Chief had just retired/resigned in the middle of an investigation into the handling of an arrestee. With this officer being as known and respected in his community as the article made him out to be, my guess is there was a group that really did not want him running for chief or opening his mouth to investigators. Who knows though?
edit on 11 4 2015 by EequalsMC2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Hmmmm two shots. that's tuff to explain.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: Shamrock6

What doesn't make sense about it? He said he was chasing three people. Then he wound up dead. Why would they not look for those three people? And then stop looking when they determined it was suicide?

The DM is running a report that the cop was suspected of using department money for personal use. If that's the case, taking it with the requisite grain of DM salt, then suicide isn't a reach at all.

What doesnt make sense is the fact that all those cops show up on the scene and they are just now saying it was a suicide..

Talk about just awful police work. They just wanted to be able to play out this war on cops bs.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:59 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Anytime a cop is killed on duty, "all these cops" are going to show up. The task force was drastically reduced within a few weeks of the incident. If it was in fact a staged suicide, a cop would be fairly knowledgeable as to how to do it so that it took substantial investigation to unravel it.

If one looks at it dispassionately from the angle of suicide, he did a pretty good job of it. Multiple suspects but a very vague, generic description. A relatively desolate area. Poor radio traffic. Inflicting a survivable wound first and then a fatal wound. Bag on cops all ya want to, but not every investigation is open and shut. All the more so when somebody goes to great lengths to make it look like something it isn't.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   
I have a hard time buying suicide here. Besides all the other information, he knew his family wouldn't get jack with a suicide.

Something just seems "wrong" with this story.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

I have to say, that of all the suicides involving a firearm that have ever occurred, the most uncommon amongst that number are suicides by gunshot to the chest or abdomen. Rarer than rocking horse do do, is a phrase which is appropriate to describe that methodology. This is more than likely owing to the fact that a gunshot to the chest or abdomen is so much less likely to actually result in death, than a good, honest slug to the brain pan.

You put a gun to your head and pull the trigger, and assuming the gun is pointed directly at your head, you cannot miss the brain worth a crap unless you flinch. But you put a gun against your chest and pull the trigger, and you do not have a decent grip on things like the basics of anatomy, and you could miss the vital parts pretty easily, or cause a long, drawn out death, as opposed to an instant meeting with the infinite.

This guy was a military man. He would have known the odds of a self inflicted gunshot to the chest being fatal were much worse, than the odds of a old fashioned headshot. Curious, is it not?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: chiefsmom
I have a hard time buying suicide here. Besides all the other information, he knew his family wouldn't get jack with a suicide.

Something just seems "wrong" with this story.

well that would be why he tried to make it look like murder.. but still get shot with your own gun and you have gunshot residue on your hands, the cops should have figured this out alot faster.

well before they did house to house searches..
edit on 4-11-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:49 AM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo
As TB pointed out above, He was a Military man, and a 30 year police veteran, if I remember correctly. He most certainly could have done a better job than this.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:15 AM
link   
Another case of the media getting ahead of a story and creating a narrative before the actual "police work" took place.... You can tell the police department was in a difficult spot once all the national support, parades, vigils, etc. started happening all over. This whole story stinks to high hell, and I hate that it's coming from my neck of the woods...

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:36 AM
link   

imo officer Lieutenant Charles Joseph Gliniewicz was about to break the "blue code" of silence, and uncover deeper corruption in the upper echelon PD and paid for it with his life.

That CNN story seemed so rehearsed, scripted and packaged.

Shoot yourself in the torso to die in terrible pain and suffering....yeah right!
edit on 4-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Shooting death of cop that sparked manhunt was his own 'carefully staged suicide' after he secretly embezzled money from youth programs to pay off his mortgage and visit adult websites

A veteran cop faked a chase and a shooting before staging his own suicide, leading to a massive police manhunt for suspects who didn't exist.

The married father-of-four stole the department's money - which was supposed to be used by the Explorers youth program - on vacations, personal items, mortgage payments and adult websites.

Detectives looked at more than 6,500 pages of text messages, 40,000 emails and over 1,000 bank documents following his death and found he was at the center of illicit activity.

Police said that before Gliniewicz shot himself two months ago, he laid out his baton, pepper spray and personal glasses to mislead officers and make it look like there was a struggle.

He then 'strategically aimed' two gunshots so that it hit his cell phone and bulletproof vest.

Investigators say they believe two others were involved in Gliniewicz's scheme and that the probe is ongoing.

He was weeks away from retirement, and under extreme stress believing he was close to being found out. Also, big difference in benefits for officer killed in line of duty vs suicide.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:06 PM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

Do you have anything that you're basing that off of?

Or just the hope that instead of one dirty cop, it's a whole bunch of dirty cops?

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:26 PM
link   
.....or, he was suicided and framed with a crime the suicider wanted off of him.

He could have either been a whistleblower and killed and framed for what he was going to blow the whistle on. Fall guy. That's just the conspiracy theorist in me.

Or perhaps 2 weeks before retirement "G.I.Joe" decided to kill himself.
edit on 4-11-2015 by Rosinitiate because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a reply to: Rosinitiate

Detectives looked at more than 6,500 pages of text messages, 40,000 emails and over 1,000 bank documents following his death and found he was at the center of illicit activity.

You can speculate and contort and manufacture facts, or you can review what's known and draw a rational conclusion. I know that's not a popular strategy.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join