It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me? Losing patriotism ( USA )

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:24 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

Your writing is poetic and thought provoking. This is such a different world than the one I grew up and I certainly recognize many of the faults that you have found in what is wrong in the world today. Sometimes I just sigh and feel the chaos and craziness will continue and little will get solved or change in a meaningful way. Too many things seem to be out of our hands and it can be frustrating and disappointing. Still...there is a life to be lived and we can take it one day at a time and perhaps hold onto the hope that one day things can change for the better for all of us. And if not...just let your light and love shine out for others and make whatever kind of a difference that you can.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 12:51 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Thank you.

We all have the power to do SOMETHING, it's just different levels. Some have money they can help others with, some have words, some have standing, some will provide for many, and some will provide for one child, and all of this is okay. I do not mean to belittle those that try their best to give to who they can, those who help others even in small ways.. These efforts are not in vain - Not to those they are helping.

I guess I've always just been a big picture type of person, small tragedies involving small deaths don't phase me because thousands of times more kids in Africa are dying from things we COULD help with. On the same note, one child receiving a heart does touch me, but not as much as others - I think of all the others that need hearts. I guess I need to be happier with the little things.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:29 AM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

Well said.

I agree on not jumping ship.....I do know the shortest routes to the life-jackets, however.....

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:48 AM
link   

This is a common gripe of people who expect something out from what they rarely put into. The country in which you live is a direct reflection of its people, of which you are one. People who first realize what you realize are obligated to be the first to try and change it, or they are a part of the problem.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:33 AM
link   

I can understand where you are coming from deadlyhope.

There is too much that needs changing, and it needs doing yesterday, all of it, at once, right now, and no one appears to be on it. It is overwhelming and disheartening. In my own nation I see great things, and terrible things as well, history which glitters with shining glory, and also history which glistens with the blood of innocent people, shed for the most flawed of reasons, by flawed people backed by flawed dogma.

I see Machiavellian schemes designed to flout the law, and reap the rewards of our collected efforts, on behalf of the minority at the top, I see social degradation caused by that excessive wealth centralisation, I see tactics designed to obfuscate that situation so that most cannot see it, or know its shape well enough to know their enemy well enough to fight it. I see people stirred up by blatant propaganda, furious with powerless individuals who are no more in control of their fate than a seedling borne aloft upon a gale force wind, and I see no end in sight.

Which is why, for all that these things ARE insurmountable, that I will never have the power to change any of them in any significant way, all I can do is make sure that my conduct meets my standards, and hope that others decide to follow suit. The only power you have, is over your own conduct. Your nation is NOT what YOU make it. It is what everyone in it makes it together. If your people allow the promotion of division by propaganda, if they do not educate themselves correctly in how to relate to one another, and refuse point blank to be the best that they can be, every day of the week, to love one another regardless of their differences, to make that love real by compassionate acts, then nothing will change.

I have learned the hard way, that doing the right thing will not always make your life easier, and very often it will do the opposite in a big way. That is, however, no reason to stop doing the right thing. I love my country. I love its people, I love its colourful society, its inventiveness, aspects of its history, my ancestors, and the very topography of the place. I love every coastline, and every cliff face, every mountain, hillock and dale. I love it, and I intend never to leave it.

But love is not being ignorant of the flaws in a thing. Love is what you feel for the place you live in, when you look upon it honestly, and find beauty in it which shines out between the cracks in the veneer of filth that has layered up on it over the years.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:53 AM
link   
I agree with this. I think when we look back at our Countries (I feel the same about the UK), we see it through the eyes of a child, but now we are looking at reality through the eyes of an adult. I've just said in another post that when I was growing up and was in my teens the Cold War was happening between Russia and the West. I had got to an age where I understood the dangers and I was petrified, because before that stage I had been more concerned about whether I would win at British Bulldogs or Hide and Seek. In reality though it is only nostalgia. I remember being a child and my mum watching lots of things on TV to do with the Second World War and the Jewish Concentration Camps. She used to turn it off when I walked in the room, but that was her reality as an adult, she lived through that era as a teenager. She is 90 now and says she wasn't frightened in those years. She loved going down into the air raid shelters from school because all the children would be given a piece of chocolate and everyone would have a sing a long. She saw it through the eyes of a child.

My child is 8 now and is happy and carefree, he doesn't understand the worries I now have as an adult, I switch news of etc when he is around. I want him to have those years of happiness and innocence, so when he finally grows up and becomes an adult he too can look back at this era and think how wonderful everything was (when in reality it really isn't).

The one thing I do think has really changed above all else is the wealth of some people and the power that wealth gives them. We seem to be going backwards in time where there are the few people at the top with all the money and power and the rest of us at the bottom trying to scrape through. Certainly with housing here in the UK its going back to how it was 100 years ago. The people who are wealthy are buying up all the properties and renting them out at astronomical prices to the people who can't afford to get on the property ladder. Some of these houses are damp and infested. So not a lot different to how it used to be when my mum was growing up. Money is the thing that talks within our western societies. Money can buy you anything. Even in simple things like going to a theme park now there is the division of the people who have and the people who don't have. The people with the money don't have to lower themselves to queue but can pay their way to go to the front of the queue, much like life! Get rid of all the money and religion and we could all live happily ever after in my opinion! Never going to happen though so as someone has just said before rather than worrying about the state of your Country just worry about your own little world and be the best that you can be.a reply to: deadlyhope

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:23 AM
link   
a reply to: anxiouswens

I agree with a lot of what you and others have said, that there are issues; social-economic disparity, and foreign policy disasters, and abuse of power. with those things recognized we must be active participants and we must not become apathetic,discouraged, and downtrodden, in my view that is patriotism; to say yes, we have problems in our society but there isn't anywhere else we'd rather be,and that we can talk about it but others cannot because at the end of the day if it's us or them it will be us!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   

I guess I need to be happier with the little things.

I think a life of small joys is a wonderful life. The occasional orgasmic joy is nice, but if there are no little joys to sustain you in-between, then life because less joyful as a whole.

I think we are often just too impatient. We miss out on the little joys that way. Something as simple as planting a seed and the joy of watching it grow. From the first time you see the movement of the soil, watching for it to first peek above the surface, to sitting under the shade of its boughs, all tiny joys that keep on giving.

When we think life is about the big things, we reduce ourselves to the point of being inadequate. Most obstacle are comprised of smaller units. While it may seem impossible to remove the obstacle as a whole, reducing it to it's individual parts, may make the task doable.

Sometimes you can do what seems impossible by just taking a 24 day, 240 mile, walk to the sea.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope

We live in a country where now you have to worry more about the cops at a scene, rather than the "criminals"
We live in a country where we wage wars against other nations for no good reasons, and justify it for years in order to continue our ways.
We live in a country where the media cannot be trusted, and true sources of information are being attacked
We live in a country where corporations and the government sit on top of a throne, and use us, abuse us..
We live in a country where the FDA approves poisons, yet bans cures
We live in a country where the USDA approves substances banned in other countries, proven to be detrimental to us in major ways
We do not have life,liberty, nor happiness. We have an illusion, we have a form of nostalgia of the past - And a hope of the future.

If you think that is a recent development then you are mistaken. Our country has pretty much always been those things. You've only just taken the blinders off.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:09 AM
link   
Eventually you realize just how powerless you are; you are offered meaningless options that trick you into thinking you have control.

We are but pawns in their mystical game of politics, religion, death and blood sacrifice.

Have a nice day!!

edit on 4-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:16 AM
link   
a reply to: olaru12

You are a pawn by your own submission. You don't have to be a pawn.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:20 AM
link   

We are but pawns in their mystical game of politics, religion, death and blood sacrifice.

Right you are, but we are pawns that have agreed to play the game.

We were deceived by the offered meaningless options, used to trick us into thinking we have control, we became the players, and now we are being played.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

Right...

How do you explain this?

theintercept.com...

Your naivete is admirable but it's still naivete.

There are hidden forces that we can never understand or even know they exist.
edit on 4-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:27 AM
link   

*Heavy sigh*

Submit to being a pawn. Have it your way. Call me naïve, and fear your hidden forces. They don't seem to bother me. I just read that link on another thread. Tell me, had your heard of Safari before you read that? No? Well now, you have something else to fear.

edit on 11/4/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:34 AM
link   
a reply to: TrueBrit

Thank you, TrueBrit. It's rare for someone to be honest enough to admit that each individual does not shape the nation in major ways - Some seem to think that my actions alone could change this downward trend - Like I somehow have power against people with likely trillions ( well, they don't care the number anymore ) of dollars. Like I can compete with a federal government where a huge amount shows corruption and utter lack of care for the general public.

I love where I live currently - It's a town of 150 people, but I feel I am surrounded by good people, and beautiful land - Crime statistics and tourism numbers back both of these up, and while I shouldn't need these numbers to verify how I feel, it does give me a sense of... Feeling like I am not in some state of ignorance or denying problems around me that exist, I feel like people really are happier here, and commit less crime, and are very kind and accepting although they are mormon - Which Christians being portrayed as the worst people ever is one of the things I am disliking about this nation.

I hope things are going okay with your personal situation, by the way.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:37 AM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

*Heavy sigh*

Submit to being a pawn. Have it your way. Call me naïve, and fear your hidden forces. They don't seem to bother me. I just read that link on another thread. Tell me, had your heard of Safari before you read that? No? Well now, you have something else to fear.

Except for one thing...

Your assumptions about who and what I am are wrong.

Have a nice day!

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:40 AM
link   
a reply to: Krazysh0t

Perhaps it is not recent developments - But the rate at which these experiences of decline can be shared has increased, so I suppose you could say the blinds have been opened for me more recently.

There are statistics proving that the cost of living and wages are worse now than in many years, though, and poverty, as we know.. Causes all types of problems. Looking up the highest crime cities and states, you find that the most crime happens in cities where there's more poverty. Less crime in cities with higher income - And that a higher black population is likely accompanied with higher crime, and a higher asian population is sometimes associated with lower crime.

These are things I wish could be fixed. Less segregation, racism, poverty - More equality. This is the reason I've turned more and more towards democratic presidents in the last few years ( imagining our vote actually counts, which I still am not so sure )

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

originally posted by: olaru12

originally posted by: angeldolla reply to: olaru12

Right...

How do you explain this?

theintercept.com...

Your naivete is admirable but it's still naivete.
There are hidden forces that we can never understand or even know they exist.

It includes detailed reexaminations of Dulles’s most notorious failures, such as the Bay of Pigs in 1961 and the nightmarish mind control program MK-ULTRA, as well as his most notorious “successes,” the CIA’s overthrow of democratic governments in Iran in 1953 and in Guatemala in 1954. T

They don't always win. If we refuse to play their games they will have notorious failures.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join