It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Is it just me? Losing patriotism ( USA )

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:56 PM
link   
I've thought about things a lot lately, what I enjoy in my life, what I'm proud of, what I'm proud to be a part of, what I'm associated with and the things I respect, revere, worship, and otherwise give part of my mind or spirit to, and as of late... It's less and less the nation I live in. The start of this was some years ago, I, and others here on ATS, could see a general decline in this nation - People were losing jobs, political correctness became the new standard, more and more people were struggling with finances, the recession and housing bubble, mass bankruptcies, decade-long wars have all brought me to this moment where I am truly not proud to live in this country, and I feel it's not just me.

We used to point to DC for a show of corruption and lack of morals, we used to support each other more, and care more about the lives of others - But now things are much different. We, as the people, are also in the wrong. We can talk about cause and effect, or debate on the reason why this once great nation is declining further and further, but that doesn't make things okay, it doesn't change how I feel - I am not proud to be a citizen of the United States.

We argue partisan issues rather than focusing on larger problems.
We demonize people because of their religion, and use "Separation of church and state" as a motto to berate others.
We demonize people who struggle, and need government assistance like food stamps, medicare, etc.
We endorse presidents with our "Least evil" or "Better the devil we know" rhetoric.
We consume, consume, consume and become more narcissistic and less altruistic.

... And so much more.

And at the same time...

We live in a country where now you have to worry more about the cops at a scene, rather than the "criminals"
We live in a country where we wage wars against other nations for no good reasons, and justify it for years in order to continue our ways.
We live in a country where the media cannot be trusted, and true sources of information are being attacked
We live in a country where corporations and the government sit on top of a throne, and use us, abuse us..
We live in a country where the FDA approves poisons, yet bans cures
We live in a country where the USDA approves substances banned in other countries, proven to be detrimental to us in major ways
We do not have life,liberty, nor happiness. We have an illusion, we have a form of nostalgia of the past - And a hope of the future.

I now only have to look to local businesses and schools to see corruption/lack of morals.

I do not support the troops anymore - Willful ignorance, and allegiance to arguably the most corrupt government in the world is not okay. Not after this many years, not since we have so many alternative news sites and sources to shed light on what's really going on in the world.

If I fear my neighbors, the police that are meant to protect me from them, and the military whom I'm supposed to revere for some reason for " serving this country " ( current - not vets - I do respect vets! )- Does this make me simply paranoid? Am I delusional? Am I depressed or anxious, or do you feel this way, too?

I could go on, but I won't, I want to know what others think.

Solemnly yours,

Deadlyhope

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:00 PM
link   
a reply to: deadlyhope

In a 2002 case brought by atheist Michael Newdow, whose daughter was being taught the Pledge in school, the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals ruled the phrase "under God" an unconstitutional endorsement of monotheism when the Pledge was promoted in public school. In 2004, the Supreme Court heard Elk Grove Unified School District v. Newdow, an appeal of the ruling, and rejected Newdow's claim on the grounds that he was not the custodial parent, and therefore lacked standing, thus avoiding ruling on the merits of whether the phrase was constitutional in a school-sponsored recitation. On January 3, 2005, a new suit was filed in the U.S. District Court for the Eastern District of California on behalf of three unnamed families. On September 14, 2005, District Court Judge Lawrence Karlton ruled in their favor. Citing the precedent of the 2002 ruling by the Ninth Circuit Court of Appeals, Judge Karlton issued an Order stating that, upon proper motion, he would enjoin the school district defendants from continuing their practices of leading children in pledging allegiance to "one Nation under God".[39]

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:04 PM
link   
a reply to: rajas

Huh? You took one line from my post, and posted about the pledge of allegiance?

I am all for separation of church and state - I believe it's as important a part of the constitution as any.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

I am still a die-hard American patriot, and proud to be American, I'm sorry you lost your way.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:07 PM
link   
a reply to: TechniXcality

I'm sorry, as well. I do feel it's somewhat of a betrayal to the good people out there, I just can't see a reason to be proud of where this nation is heading, and the people that support it.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:09 PM
link   

i explained how

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Patriotism is a double-edged sword.

On one hand, it's ok to be proud of where we come from and the places we call home. We care about it's well-being, how it's governed and the welfare of the people.

On the other, patriotism is used extensively to trick the gullible in to believing that their country is superior than others in order to overstep their acceptable boundaries....and question the patriotism of those that question them. The effects of this propaganda technique can be seen in those that talk about "American exceptionalism".

Ultra-patriotism is a very dangerous thing. Just look what happened in WW2 at the hands of the ultra-nationalist Germany.

Always question what you are told, always be skeptical of our leadership and don't be afraid to be ashamed of what we have done. That's the only way we learn.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Heres an idea make the country what you want it to be! No one can dictate your reality for you! Let the fire of freedom burn in your heat to make the world around you something your proud of. We may not be happy with the entire world but we can still be happy with our own actions.

Yes the government is spying and doing all kinds of bad stuff, but that doesnt mean we are doing it with them. We can do all kinds of good things that make us proud to not only be good Americans, but good human beings.

Forget about what others do and work on improving yourself.

Who knows it may catch on. .. . . . .

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:22 PM
link   
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

"Be the change you want to see in the world " Seems what you are saying - I used to love such quotes, but recently, I've become more pessimistic.

We can hand out roses all day long, we can be good upstanding citizens but it won't stop the bad that's going on, it's just ignorance to think so. Me worrying about such things won't change them, either. I want to create what I deem REAL change. Smiling at someone or giving a large tip are menial things - I'm talking about saving a child from slave trade, I'm talking about changing laws to help citizens, not lower them. I feel powerless in these aspects, though.

I realize what I deem to be meaningful isn't universal, but some things, some ideas have such meaning to me... That when I cannot deliver those intentions, I feel terrible.
edit on 3-11-2015 by deadlyhope because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: deadlyhope
a reply to: FormOfTheLord

"Be the change you want to see in the world " Seems what you are saying - I used to love such quotes, but recently, I've become more pessimistic.

We can hand out roses all day long, we can be good upstanding citizens but it won't stop the bad that's going on, it's just ignorance to think so. Me worrying about such things won't change them, either. I want to create what I deem REAL change. Smiling at someone or giving a large tip are menial things - I'm talking about saving a child from slave trade, I'm talking about changing laws to help citizens, not lower them. I feel powerless in these aspects, though.

Run for office.

The only way we make real change is by having people like us run for office and supporting those that do.

I've considered it.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:26 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

The first lines of your sentence more define nostalgia, or the like. Being proud of where we CAME from, places we call home... That's usually about the past, that makes me think of being a kid and living some apple-pie life because my parents didn't tell me the bad things that were going on in their lives and others. This doesn't describe being proud of the current state of your country, or the place you pay rent.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
a reply to: introvert

I'd be assassinated - No joke.

Wanting to...
Take on the federal reserve/Banksters
Get rid of most 3 letter agencies, etc ( CIA, NSA, FDA )
Take on Big Pharma, monsanto, GMO's, etc...
Withdraw all troops from other nations
Become better friends with Russia/Putin

Yeah...I'd definitely have a target on me.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:29 PM
link   
I remember when the Iraqi's dropped their weapons and ran away from the war. Some people said they did so because they didn't really feel they had anything worth fighting for.

But I think we do. The more we see about other countries, the more I realize all we have that is worth fighting for.

So, no. I don't feel the same as you. I'm not proud of everything we have done. Even ashamed of some of it. We've made a lot of mistakes. But I'm more interested in turning things around, than jumping ship.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

I do not want to jump ship, definitely not. I believe what we COULD HAVE is worth fighting for, it sure as hell is.

I'm just not fighting against a nation that seems to prefer decline.

People are all about hashtags, shares, likes, reposts - It's all about the latest phone, the latest technology, the latest fashion trends...

It's about abortion or Gay rights, it's about raising the minimum wage, it's about these small things that don't make a difference because our government and the corporations alike are sucking real life out of us, and some don't seem to care.

For the record, I'm definitely not on a soap box. I do not pretend to be better than anyone else, nor do I pretend I am not part of the problem - I believe I am/could be.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   
I feel you, and I know where you are coming from. It is not about nostalgia, it is about a noticeable change.

It is like moving into that beautiful dream home. Everything seems perfect and you are happy. You don't see any of the flaws or cracks. It looks bright, shiny and perfect.

With time, some things start to fade, other things get dingy and dirty, and some things start to fall off. Roofs have to be repaired, plumbing replaced, but it is your home, and you do the best you can to keep her alive. As more time passes, some things happen that you can't fix, you have to amputate and replace. You still love her, she just has gone from being perfect, to having character.

Then a wicked wind comes your way and rips her to shreds. Almost nothing is left that is usable or even recognizable, and you have to make a choice. Scrap her or salvage what you can and rebuild.

I think you and many others are at the point where you have to decide.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I'm very lucky to live in a state and city that isn't impacted in the same ways as others - Crime is low, poverty is low, pollution is low, etc. I don't feel things will change too much here for a while, but that doesn't make me care less that I feel the nation and world have so much bad in them. When I was younger, I always wanted to be a vigilante of sorts. Either some billionaire that funded the world into a better place, or a type of undercover cop type that took out real bad guys ( Like child slavers ) I guess comic-book days are over, though, and it doesn't feel good.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:49 PM
link   

Oh yeah, I detest how superficial and materialistic we've become. I try. I really do.

So I care, and you care, and there are plenty others who do as well. The things we talk about here, most people don't even know about they stay so absorbed with their own lives. But really, that is life. When the day comes that they have no choice but to focus on the world around them, and injustices surrounding us, will be a bad day, because you know what it will mean..........

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:18 PM
link   
a reply to: angeldoll

So I care, and you care, and there are plenty others who do as well. The things we talk about here, most people don't even know about they stay so absorbed with their own lives.

You ever stop and think why people spend so much of their life struggling to collect and hoard landfill? Why they think that the quality of their life and their value of self can be measured by things that have a life span shorter than their own? Why they save and wait for a better life to come, or a paradise, after they are dead?

Most people are running on automatic pilot. They give no thought to what they are doing as long as they "feel" that what they are doing is right, is acceptable and normal.

They get up every morning according to routine, go about their routine day, go to bed and repeat again the next day. Most can tell you what they do, but they can't tell you why they do it. Is what we do really about survival, or are we just going through the motions?

We know that there are no answers about our futures. We aren't guaranteed to be here even 5 minutes from now, so we do what? We wait? We dream? We hope? What do we do with a life that comes with no guarantees and dwindling hope for anything better?

I think the only solution is to live in the now. As many have already said, we have to be the best that we can be, and spread the joy. Life is full of surprises, disappointments, frustrations, hate and death. We can't change others. The best we can do is change ourselves. We have the ability to choose to make our lives better and happier starting in the now and taking it one second at a time.

Of course life is precious and it goes without saying, the love of self and family are important, and safety and survival play a huge role, in happiest and contentment, but even that is not guaranteed.

We are at the mercy of the wind so set your sails high.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   

I'm not as pessimistic as you are, and I am not as afraid as you are. I have a good life, and I'll have some more.

edit on 11/3/2015 by angeldoll because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:25 PM
link   

originally posted by: angeldoll

I'm not as pessimistic as you are, and I am not as afraid as you are. I have a good life, and I'll have some more.

Pessimistic?

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join