It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops Now Stealing Your Stuff to ‘Protect You’ from People Who Might Steal Your Stuff

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
LOl, love this title, and I would like it alot more if it were not true. Cops in New Haven, Connecticut have announced plans to start taking valuables from peoples unlocked cars for safe keeping..

They actually think people are going to buy this BS that they are selling.. Police are saying is is totally legal for a cop to do this because it is "caretaking".

They are just trying to find anyway they possibility can to violate our rights. I bet next they are going to start charging people a holding fee to get their stuff back.

I am not sure this can possibly be legal, and whats to keep the cop from riffling through the rest of your car?

Police say they are doing this because people are not taking their repeated warning about locking your car seriously enough.

So we will just steal it for you wow lol..

ew Haven, CT — In a ridiculous move, ostensibly designed to protect citizens from theft, the New Haven police department has begun stealing things from innocent individuals.

Yes, you read that correctly.

The New Haven police department announced its plans this week to start stealing things from unsuspecting residents who leave their doors unlocked. If you are missing your valuables, it may not have been taken by a private thief, it could have been stolen by a public thief.

According to Lt. Herbert Sharp of the NHPD, police are now taking private property from unlocked cars and bringing it to the station. This, of course, is done so to “deter theft.”

Sharp assures the public that when his officers are opening the door to your property and removing your belongings, with no search warrant and no probable cause, that this is 100 percent legal. “It’s called a caretaker,” explains Sharp.

www.nhregister.com...

thefreethoughtproject.com...

edit on 3-11-2015 by alienjuggalo because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
Meanwhile the real thieves are watching the cops so that they can determine which cars are unlocked and therefore easy to steal!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Wow, talk about a fishing expedition..Stevie Wonder could see it.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

It must have been a slow crime year....

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   
a reply to: alienjuggalo

Hmmm....and what happens if they find paraphernalia? I guess since they can justify "caretaking" of your possessions, then they wouldn't consider it an illegal search and be able to charge individuals?

And what would they do with unclaimed valuables? Maybe they are planning on having an auction for items not reclaimed after so many days of caretaking....you know... to support the local PD and keep your valuables even safer from real criminals that would steal your stuff.

ACLU would have a hay day with this.

Ghost

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
For those cops to even think something like taking peoples personal property is ok, shows they have no business being cops.

While the real thieves are breaking into cars; the cops are occupied..."breaking into peoples cars" wtf.
edit on 3-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
I'd love to see the ordinance that allows them to "caretake" your possessions without a warrant.

I'd bet there isn't one.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:27 PM
link   
So now if a cop needs a reason to search someones car they can just go to their house or job one day, say they saw something valuable in the seat and the door was unlocked so they took it, and found all this other stuff as well.

jesus it will make it so easy for a cop to plant something on someone too, because they can wait tell no one is around .

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
It's almost Christmas time... Whose going undercover?

This is ludicrous and nothing more than an excuse to search your property for things you shouldn't have there. How random would this be? My guess would be not real random at all. And while I have nothing in my vehicle that would get me into trouble, they have no business going in it without a search warrant. Period.

What happens when one of them is shot because the owner assumed (but not really) that they were breaking and entering??

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:28 PM
link   
whatever happened to the 4th amendment? Legal Theft.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:35 PM
link   

originally posted by: dashen
whatever happened to the 4th amendment? Legal Theft.

You didn't notice...

There are two sets of laws...

one for the police and one set for everyone else.

And how can an agency that investigates itself be trusted?
edit on 3-11-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   
This policy is just ridiculous. It won't last very long.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I don't know about all of you but, I feel a huge relief!

Thank god it's the "good guys" taking my stuff so that the "bad guys" can't get there first.

Dibs and all...you know how it goes.

edit on 3-11-2015 by MagesticEsoteric because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:28 PM
link   
Ah i remember a time here in Australia when the local copper would come to the local bar towards closing and take the keys off those deemed unfit to drive . There was no arguing , if you arranged a driver you got your keys back , if you broke the "rules" you might find yourself walking for a while , or dead . I am sure what he was doing was not exactly by the book but i never heard of someone making a complaint , and there was a good reason for that . First offence for doing a wheelie insude town was a bucket of soapy water and a scrubbing brush , once again no complaints and very rarely a repeat offender . Different times i guess .
edit on 3-11-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:00 PM
link   
a reply to: hutch622

That was to keep you from breaking the law or a less harsh punishment for breaking it (soapy water and a brush who would argue against that or a moving violation?). This is saying that they can reach inside your vehicle and take your phone, laptop, or anything else they deem as valuable to supposedly help protect you from yourself.

It's not illegal for me to leave anything valuable in my car and leave it unlocked so their intervention is not needed nor is it wanted. IMO only of course.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:58 PM
link   
There was a time in this country when people didn't lock their doors.

Certain people even left their keys right in their vehicle- in the ignition. In the one place they have any use in this world.

The logic there is this- if you found yourself in such a pickle that you needed a vehicle more than its owner, you'd have ready access to it. Yeah, you "stole" that car- but you'd bring it back and make a point to track down the rightful owner and make reparations.
It worked when everyone knew everyone else.

I've had my car robbed more times than I can count just now- but I still don't lock my car.

Here's hoping I catch an officer of the law taking my spare change for safe keeping someday.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Booby traps would teach them a lesson.

A paint balloon, at a minimum.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:16 PM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I get what it is about and i am sure it would not wash here . Said copper above would remove your keys from your unlocked car as well and give you a blast as he gave them back . But this is a thread about current day police with their them and us attitudes not the good old days of we .

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

Booby traps would teach them a lesson.

How about a nice note along the lines of . Dear police , i have hepatitis and sneeze a lot , your choice .

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: FlyingFox

I actually looked into this when my keys were stolen out of my car in my own driveway- I own a bottle of the stuff they use in fire alarms in schools to "mark" people for pulling false alarms.

Turns out, booby trapping your car in the land of the free- even with a non lethal trap like this- can get you heavily fined at a minimum, and likely locked away for a while.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join