It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do home schooled kids actually have to learn something?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
a reply to: TheAmazingYeti

Like the general population of the US isn't stupid enough as it is. God (or who ever) save you're country.

Yep, our country is in trouble because a few folks who are extremely religious don't want to teach their kid what the government demands they learn.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

I saw this earlier today. This idiotic family is trying to argue religious exemption against teaching their kids anything. This really shows the absurdity of these stupid religious exemption cases that have flooded the landscape recently. I'm glad this case is occurring in Texas. That state can keep that idiot family.

Wow, the level of vitriol present directed at Texas and religious people is startling. I honestly think you have anger management issues.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:35 PM
link   
I'll give my two bit on homeschooling:

I think, and fully agree with homeschooling. My girlfriend and I have even discussed that should we have children that we may elect to teach them subjects such as history, government: Partial Homeschooling. The reason for this is because I will not stand by while my child is force fed progressively slanted history and liberal interpretation of constitutional ideals. Some of the stuff I've seen online are even outright lies. There was a case in October about a woman who saw that her daughter was taught that

"The Atlantic slave trade between the 1500s and the 1800s brought millions of workers from Africa to the southern United States to work on agricultural plantations."

One: I take issue with the term "workers". I'm not above calling out America for some of it's past atrocities. I don't think (and will not) "pay" for events that happened over 200 years ago, but I'm not above stating it and acknowledging it is a dark stain on our history.

Two: The number of slaves that that text book quotes is an outright lie. Less than half a million slaves made it to the English Colonies that formed our country, yet this book states that "millions" were brought over. On top of that, I doubt it is even stated anymore that slave importation was banned in the United States a mere 20 years after our country formed. I doubt that is taught at all.

I'm no math genius, and I suppose depending if Common Core is still used, I may teach my kids that as well, but as I said, I will not allow my kids to be indoctrinated like I almost was. I was in government class when Obama was running for president the first time around. I learned very little from that class with regards to US government, it was mostly a "Struggles of the Black Man in America" class. I'm sure Obama's running for President, and my Professor being a 50 year old Black man had nothing to do with that *sarcasm* - I won't expose my kid to that. And this was almost a decade ago, I'm sure it's much much worse.

Another case I saw was with regards to the second amendment. In that common core text book, it stated and I quote:

“This amendment states that people have the right to certain weapons, providing that they register them and they have not been in prison.”

Yeah, that's not a Liberal interpretation of the second amendment, not at all.

This is what I won't allow my kids to be exposed to.
edit on 6-11-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

80% of New York high school graduates either can't read or can barely read. Public high schools. Why don't you go focus on them? Or does that not fit your biased agenda?

dailycaller.com...

Half of Florida's high school grads can't read at grade level.

www.politifact.com...

Our public school system is a big joke. It doesn't matter how many billions of dollars you throw at it. I'd home school my kids too.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

yeah, my wife tries some of that, but it doesn't always work out and she doesn't always think to do it--I, on the other hand, always think that way and use it when I can, but I'm the one with the full-time job, so I'm limited as to how much time I can spend with him and his schooling.

Plus, whenever I try to teach him anything--even if it's how to hammer a nail, or pick up dog mess the cleanest and easiest way, it always turns into an argument between him and me, so until he can accept learning from me just a bit better (and he is getting better...just depends on his mood at the time), I'm reliant on my wife to do the best that she can. And she does do a great job, please don't misunderstand that--no child is always enthusiastic about school.

Thanks for the advice, though

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:06 AM
link   
a reply to: SlapMonkey
I had to laugh at your post. I have to remember when I respond to a post to make sure the person I am talking to realizes I am speaking in generalities. This kind of communication can be a bit tricky at times.

I was not criticizing your parental or teaching skills. I was just offering some suggestions I have seen work at times with other children. I have family and friends with autistic children. It seems there are very few, if any, people left today that don't have a friend or a family member with an autistic child.

There is no one size fits all, magic technique, that works all the time. If there is a secret to teaching an autistic child is that the child has to be engaged, and the child is the one driving the bus. Sometimes the bus needs fuel, sometimes the engine needs to idle, and sometimes the bus needs to be parked. Sometimes you get more learning done when the bus is in park, than when the engine is racing.

Truth be told, it sounds like you and your wife are doing a great job. It takes a lot of love, time, patience and dedication to teach an autistic child, and you don't see a whole lot of parents willing to make that commitment to their children today. The more intelligent the child is, the more challenging it can be. People forget how intelligent these children are, because our egos become bruised when we fail at something, so often these children are dismissed, which I think is a horrible mistake.

The key to everything we have ever wanted to know about everything, may be just sitting right there in the minds of these children. No wonder they become so frustrated with us. Imagine how frustrating it has to be, if you understand all that is going on around you, but are unable to communicate with others because because they lack the aptitude to adequately understand what you are trying to say. Imagine how heartbreaking it has to be when you are dismissed, because others don't have the time or patience to even try. I have seen some amazing breakthroughs in parents with autistic children. It is always wonderful to see that moment when a parent realizes just how special their child is, and that different comes with its on rules and rewards.

posted on Nov, 10 2015 @ 08:14 AM
link   
a reply to: NightSkyeB4Dawn

I just hope that Santa brings me some patience for Christmas, because that really is the only thing that I lack on a daily basis when interacting with him, and I have yet to figure out how to fully jumpstart my patience genes.

posted on Nov, 19 2015 @ 01:15 PM
link   
I am in the UK and Home Educate my teen son. We follow the same curriculum as a school. We plan on doing IGCSEs in the next couple of years too!

The problem with HE in the UK is almost no expectations/requirements. You don't have to be registered and you don't have to allow the LEA (Local Education Authority) into your home for visits to discuss your childs needs educationally although we do.

posted on Dec, 3 2015 @ 10:03 AM
link   
a reply to: schuyler

That would be "whomever".

Nope; 'whoever' is correct, because 'God' is the subject of that sentence, and 'or whoever' is an extension of the subject, not part of the predicate.

You're right about the 'you're', though.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join