It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Ireland's Planning To Decriminalise Cocaine and Cannabis use.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 08:48 AM
link   
Ireland will move towards decriminalising substances including heroin, coc aine and cannabis as part of a “radical cultural shift”, the country's drugs minister has said.

Ireland's Minister of State for the National Drugs Strategy yesterday revealed plans to decriminalise the personal use of coc aine, cannabis and heroin "early next year".
Speaking to The Irish Times before he announced the plans at the London School of Economics, Aodhán Ó Ríordáin said the opinions on drug misuse and addiction could only change if those found in possession were not criminalised. "Too often those with drug problems suffer from stigma, due to a lack of understanding or public education about the nature of addiction. This stigma can be compounded for those who end up with a criminal record due to possession of drugs for their own use."
Supervised heroin-injecting centres in Dublin, hoped to be followed in Cork, Galway and Limerick, are also among the plans, with a new Misuse of Drugs Bill being compiled to allow this to happen.

Ríordáin believes providing "clinically controlled environments" for heroin users would pave the way for a different view on substance abuse.
He said: "I am firmly of the view there needs to be a cultural shift in how we regard substance misuse if we are to break this cycle and make a serious attempt to tackle drug and alcohol addiction.
"Research has shown that the use of supervised injecting centres is associated with self-reported reductions in injecting risk behaviours."
This doesn't mean that selling drugs would become legal, though, just that users taking illicit substances would receive "treatment and rehabilitation based on a continuum of care with clearly defined referral pathways."

Well then, not sure how I feel about this to be honest, the arguments I see on my social media about this seem to be that this will save many lives and also that alcohol is just as bad and yet isn't criminalized so why should cannabis and coc aine be?

Discussing plans to open ‘injection rooms’ Mr Ó Ríordáin said they would be “clinically controlled environments” that would aim to prevent already vulnerable individuals from exposing themselves to further risks.

Link
Link 2

edit on 3-11-2015 by Lady_Tuatha because: typo

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:03 AM
link   
a reply to: Lady_Tuatha

Cannabis, fair enough.....heroin and coc aine though? Heroin dealers should be given life, that would solve the issue right there.

It destroys lives, I have seen the state some people can get in through its use.

I agree the user shouldn't be punished, but they should be helped off it.

As for coc aine....I would have said fair enough until I watched a documentary about long term use, one guys nose collapsed into his mouth and he now has a big hole on the roof of his mouth....nasty.

I'm not a drug user myself, I don't even smoke pot, I do like a good drink though, so I have my evils.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
see, this is what happens when you mix whiskey and legislation.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 09:57 AM
link   
a reply to: dashen

Mixing whiskey, heroin, coc aine also not a good idea for many reasons.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:05 AM
link   

GOOD! Stuff shouldn't be illegal. Jailing people for using drugs should be viewed as a cruel and unusual punishment.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:06 AM
link   
a reply to: woogleuk

The article says "decriminalize". That means that the drugs are still technically against the law. You just don't go to jail for using them. Usually under decriminalization measures, you still go to jail for selling.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

GOOD! Stuff shouldn't be illegal. Jailing people for using drugs should be viewed as a cruel and unusual punishment.

I've never understood the notion of penalizing someone for altering their own consciousness.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk
Cannabis, fair enough.....heroin and coc aine though? Heroin dealers should be given life, that would solve the issue right there.
It destroys lives, I have seen the state some people can get in through its use.

So does alcohol and cigarettes.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

Clever form of population control. Legalize heroin and or coc aine and I'd be willing to bet the overdose death toll rises.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   
a reply to: angryhulk

It's the tired notion that banning something somehow makes the problem go away.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

Clever form of population control. Legalize heroin and or coc aine and I'd be willing to bet the overdose death toll rises.

They are not on about legalalising anything.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: slapjacks

First off, this is about decriminalization, NOT legalization. Second off, Portugal says that your hypothesis here is full of crap.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 10:35 AM
link   

originally posted by: woogleuk

I agree the user shouldn't be punished, but they should be helped off it.

As for coc aine....I would have said fair enough until I watched a documentary about long term use, one guys nose collapsed into his mouth and he now has a big hole on the roof of his mouth....nasty.

I'm not a drug user myself, I don't even smoke pot, I do like a good drink though, so I have my evils.

Well that's the point of decriminalization.

The users wont be punished. But the dealers are still a fair target for cops.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:55 AM
link   
I agree 100% with you krazy you touched on the points I was going to when i read the OP. All known drugs have side effects some minor some major.

Prohibition never stopped anyone from getting anything. Makes it a bit harder but the reward is also higher for your efforts. I swear people do stuff just because their not supposed to. Take away the stigmatizm and you take away the allure for some.

a reply to: Krazysh0t

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:33 PM
link   
I am all for decriminalizing every substance a person chooses to use themselves.

If you want to keep criminalizing dealers, start criminalizing pharmaceutical companies. They push (yes push, they are even allowed to advertise) drugs that are analogous to heroin and amphetamines daily to more users than any one "drug dealer" could ever dream of.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   

It is an excellent idea. It should be implemented everywhere in the world immediately. The heroin epidemic is already out of control, no decriminalization could make it worse. It will divert funds used for arrests and jails to rehabilitation and safe places and access to clean needles.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:13 PM
link   
a reply to: TycoonBarnaby

Pharmaceutical DTC ads should be VERY VERY illegal! They are only legal in two countries. One of which is the US. But if you think about it, we banned cigarette ads for the very same reasons that pharmaceutical DTC ads are banned elsewhere. If we consider that a good idea (and I do, cigarette ads are terrible), we need to get on the ball with banning DTC ads, but because the pharmaceutical industry practically owns D.C., that isn't even a conversation on the table, let alone something up for actual consideration.

Though, this thread is about Ireland. They have already banned DTC pharmaceutical ads.

edit on 3-11-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
The weird thing is the harm done by heroin and Coke both on the user and society are nothing compared to alcohol and cigarettes. Alcohol and tabacco are huge killers and contribute to many ills in our society. Not justifying coc aine or heroin just comparing them to perfectly legal and equally destructive drugs that do way more damage to public health in the uk
edit on 3-11-2015 by woodwardjnr because: (no reason given)

top topics

join