It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Global Warming now causing........Refugees?

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 01:30 PM
link   
a reply to: TiredofControlFreaks

www.tradingeconomics.com...

This site shows average precipitation in Syria of 252 mm in 2011

Tired of Control Freaks

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 03:40 PM
link   

it looks like that graph is pulling an average from several decades, not the discrete year. check this one out.

weather-and-climate.com...

also, here's the quote you pulled in context:

A new study says a record drought that ravaged Syria in 2006-2010 was likely stoked by ongoing manmade climate change, and that the drought may have helped propel the 2011 Syrian uprising. Researchers say the drought, the worst ever recorded in the region, destroyed agriculture in the breadbasket region of northern Syria, driving dispossessed farmers to cities, where poverty, government mismanagement and other factors created unrest that exploded in spring 2011. The conflict has since evolved into a complex multinational war that has killed at least 200,000 people and displaced millions. The study appears today in the leading journal Proceedings of the National Academy of Sciences.

"We're not saying the drought caused the war," said Richard Seager, a climate scientist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory who coauthored the study. "We're saying that added to all the other stressors, it helped kick things over the threshold into open conflict. And a drought of that severity was made much more likely by the ongoing human-driven drying of that region."

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:49 PM
link   

Lol that quote in context:

"We're not saying the drought caused the war," said Richard Seager, a climate scientist at Columbia University's Lamont-Doherty Earth Observatory who coauthored the study. "We're saying that added to all the other stressors, it helped kick things over the threshold into open conflict. And a drought of that severity was made much more likely by the ongoing human-driven drying of that region."

^This is pretty much exactly the same thing that everybody here has been saying already.

I honestly can't figure out if you're straight up trolling or being obtuse. Either way though your dishonesty is entirely transparent in the way you tried to cherry-pick the above quote for example.

That's what I was alluding to before – you call us zealots, yet you're the one reaching to find any excuse in the bag that avoids facing the basic facts here.

Any logical person can see how a record setting 5 year drought directly preceding the uprising would have contributed to all that tension. Yet you need to desperately wish it away by pretending there was no drought, temperatures aren't rising, anything you can tell yourself to avoid the possibility the science was actually right (and all that conservative trash telling you otherwise is a crock of #).

You claim that a drought ending in 2011 has nothing to do with civil unrest that began in 2011, and yet earlier in this thread you were trying to blame goats in its place and linking us to an article from 2003 as your proof.

And no one here is denying that mismanagement of resources was also part of the problem, just that climate change was heavily in the mix as well. But you desperately need to censor and erase any mention of it in this equation because it doesn’t jive with your obvious ideological bias. But yeah, we're the zealots lol…

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   
a reply to: ATODASO

i think it really comes down to lifestyle threat. people are willing to shed blood to maintain their way of life, is it so surprising that they welcome any excuse to attack the data indicating that they need to change how they live? or that suppressed fear is expressed in rude tirades against the people responsible for collecting and acting on it?

It's not surprising, but what gets me is how easily manipulated they are over it, because in reality it's not really all that much of a lifestyle threat – they're just conditioned to believe it is so they remain sheltered and fearful rather than curious and critical thinking.

Despite the endless right wing fear-mongering about how climate action will “send us back to the stone age”, the reality is it will simply shift our economy to a cleaner, healthier, more sustainable model that benefits more people in the long run. That's exactly why the plutocrat 1% crowd hate it so much and drive all this ridiculous propaganda against it.

Clean energy for example has repeatedly demonstrated it creates more jobs per dollar invested than fossil fuel:

Investment In Renewable Energy Yields More Jobs Than Fossil Fuel Sector

But the end result is a much more decentralized, independent, and often user-owned system of energy that destroys the old world “Mr. Burns model” where some rich old white guy just owns all the resources we depend on.

I really don’t think any of this is all that complicated to see and understand, but it never stops impressing me how certain people like our friend here have become so brainwashed that they absolutely refuse to even try to understand.

It's as if they've been trained to fear logic, critical thinking and any new ideas that challenge the establishment. That's what really concerns me much more than their actual opinion on climate change.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I think this thread has really highlighted one of the biggest sources for disconnect when it comes to having a grown up conversation about all this:

That lies in how much skeptics are victims of their own hyperbole.

They disqualify themselves with absurd sensationalism like “They said we'd all be underwater by now”, so much that they become incapable of understanding how climate change is actually going down.

Temperatures are going up by fractions of a degree per decade. Sea levels are rising by a few millimeters per year. Although these changes are very rapid and abnormal on a geological timescale, they're still quite subtle on a human one.

Sea level rise doesn't suddenly mean we wake up tomorrow and discover Miami underwater. But where it does manifest itself is when storm surges or high tides are amplified for example, like what happened in the southeast last week.

Same thing goes with this Syria thing. Skeptics appear to be incapable of understanding how climate change played a part in the disaster because to them it's all or nothing apparently. Either it was solely responsible or it was something else entirely. Anything in between does not compute.

Meanwhile this trickle of climate impacts is exactly how real world scenarios were predicted. Climate change isn't going to suddenly uproot everything over night, but it is manifesting itself by adding more stresses and strains to the system - environmentally, economically, and politically.

Skeptics seem to be entirely incapable of seeing the bigger picture coming together. They need to have it all revealed to them in some big curtain-pulling show stopper, otherwise it’s just a bunch of confusing puzzle pieces that hurt their brain and are probably trying to convert them to Communism or something.

At this rate they'll never understand what's happening until it's too late.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 10:14 PM
link   
a reply to: mc_squared

WOW - I think I am just going to let this thread stand as testament to what religious zealotry can do.

Tired of Control Freaks

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join