It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Outrageous HSBC Settlement Proves the Drug War is a Joke

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+6 more 
posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:06 PM
link   

If you've ever been arrested on a drug charge, if you've ever spent even a day in jail for having a stem of marijuana in your pocket or "drug paraphernalia" in your gym bag, Assistant Attorney General and longtime Bill Clinton pal Lanny Breuer has a message for you: Bite me.

Breuer this week signed off on a settlement deal with the British banking giant HSBC that is the ultimate insult to every ordinary person who's ever had his life altered by a narcotics charge. Despite the fact that HSBC admitted to laundering billions of dollars for Colombian and Mexican drug cartels (among others) and violating a host of important banking laws (from the Bank Secrecy Act to the Trading With the Enemy Act), Breuer and his Justice Department elected not to pursue criminal prosecutions of the bank, opting instead for a "record" financial settlement of $1.9 billion, which as one analyst noted is about five weeks of income for the bank.

The banks' laundering transactions were so brazen that the NSA probably could have spotted them from space. Breuer admitted that drug dealers would sometimes come to HSBC's Mexican branches and "deposit hundreds of thousands of dollars in cash, in a single day, into a single account, using boxes designed to fit the precise dimensions of the teller windows."

This bears repeating: in order to more efficiently move as much illegal money as possible into the "legitimate" banking institution HSBC, drug dealers specifically designed boxes to fit through the bank's teller windows. Tony Montana's henchmen marching dufflebags of cash into the fictional "American City Bank" in Miami was actually more subtle than what the cartels were doing when they washed their cash through one of Britain's most storied financial institutions.

Rest of article here
rollingstones.com

So that's how it is, petty drug possession charges result in some serious consequences. But if your a hardcore drug launderer, then its apparently no big deal!

If you're just some poor white thrash individual who grows two plants in your backyard for personal use, then they will destroy your whole life. But if your considered "upper class" and contribute to laundering billions of dollars worth of drug money, then apparently it will just simply result in a slap on the wrist.

So called justice in society is a complete joke! The war on drugs has nothing to do with preventing drug use and is actually just a way to control poor people!

WAKE UP, people!

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

off-topic post removed to prevent thread-drift

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:36 PM
link   
a reply to: Subaeruginosa

The war on drugs has nothing to do with preventing drug use and is actually just a way to control poor people!

And raise revenue for multiple agencies,the war on drugs is a business and the fall guys are the poor

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:38 PM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

Value goes down if its legalised. Most drugs would become too abundant/easy to get a hold off.

From gold dust to sherbet

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:40 PM
link   

I had to log in just to respond to this post. Over the years I have come to realize, among many other reasons, just how corrupt our federal government is by realizing how and why this merciless and criminal drug war has evolved and continued for the past 40 to 50 years. I have been aware of the mega banks involvement in laundering the billions of dollars of drug monies over the years and have determined that our government is criminally complicit in the massive suffering and deaths of thousands upon thousands of innocent deaths on both sides of our southern border attributed to it's disgusting evolution to this day. This drug war is a festering open wound on a supposedly righteously moral and just nation that Richard Nixon should have had the conscious insight to have never started. WHAT WAS HE THINKING? May he burn in eternity for his lack of foresight and every person that has profited by it's continuance along with him.
This unconscionable travesty needs to stop, NOW.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   

S&F'd before your taken down.

The War on Drugs is here to stay I'm afraid. Too many authorities addicted to the gravy train lifestyle.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
Yea... Wake up people. If this doesn't do it, what will? Now that there is legitimate proof that the "war on drugs" is a game that all higher ups are in on, will people wake up?

Against my undying hope for humanity, my answer is a big 'no'. No one that hasn't already "woken up" will be shaken awake by this.

Sad but true. It'll take a bigger, more disgusting atrocity perpetrated by TPTB against the common man before the masses truly wake up.

I cringe to imagine what this breaking point will be. But there is one, and it's coming. Unfortunately, it will not be as "benign" so to speak as this.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:52 PM
link   
a reply to: dezertdog

Why would this be taken down? ATS doen't like the source?

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:58 PM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

As much as our conspiracy theory minds like to go into overdrive at times, I just think theirs a certain standard that ATS expects when it comes to creating a thread.

The expected standard is clearly stated when you try to create a new thread.

Peace

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: NewzNose
a reply to: dezertdog

Why would this be taken down? ATS doen't like the source?

My bad, I misinterpreted SKurtle's post (2nd in this thread), thanks for the heads up Newz.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   
Only the wealthy have freedom. The poor are slaves. We've known this for a long time but since we have no wealth we have no voice. No voice means nobody can hear you. How can you change anything if nobody will hear you???

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:37 AM
link   
If I told you that most major cartels, powerful paramilitaries & large organized crime rings were actually "Black Ops", would you believe it? Not "Special Ops", but real Black Ops.

Also look into the British role in forcing their lucrative opiate products onto China during the Opium Wars. Then compare that to the CIA & DEA's roles in the global opiate & coc aine trades today.
edit on 3-11-2015 by enlightenedservant because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:42 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

It seriously is just a joke though. The outcome when facing a judge usually all comes down to how much you can afford for a lawyer. Justice has nothing to do with it in a capitalist system. Its actually just about how much money you have at your disposal.

Drug possession wouldn't even be a chargeable offence in a system that was seriously about true justice.
edit on 3-11-2015 by Subaeruginosa because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:45 AM
link   
Even further down the rabbit hole you'll find the entire "bust" was merely our Alphabet Agencies taking out the competition or reminding certain someones their place in the chain.
Impressing on the cartels how important it is to keep up with the liability insurance payments.
Or heaven forbid the banks failed to pay the required taxes.

There were no criminal charges because "business is business" & America is in the business of business.
Where do you think Black Funds come from?

K~

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Funny how many banks are now so closely monitoring any cash transactions the rest of us make.....wanna withdraw or deposit any cash over a $1000...your transaction is "suspicious" and in some cases even reported to law enforcement because you MIGHT be laundering money....what a joke.....greedy hypocrites make me sick !

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:50 AM
link   
Not terribly surprising given HSBC's past:

After the British established Hong Kong as a colony in the aftermath of the First Opium War, merchants from other parts of the British Empire, now in Hong Kong, felt the need for a bank to finance the growing trade, through Hong Kong, and sometimes also through Shanghai, between China and British India, and the rest of the British Empire, and also the rest of Europe, of goods, produces and merchandises of all kinds, but especially of opium, cultivated in or transited (re-exported) through the Raj,[4][5] and to that end, they organised amongst themselves and formed The Hongkong and Shanghai Bank in Hong Kong (March 1865), and in Shanghai a one-month later.

Wikipedia

HSBC was basically created as a way to move drug money around in the first place. HSBC = Hong Kong Shanghai Banking Corporation.
edit on 3-11-2015 by MystikMushroom because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

HSBC was basically created as a way to move drug money around in the first place.

Which is sadly further proof there are two rules one for the elite and one for the rest of us.....incidentally whatever did happen to the Saudi prince that was caught with 2 tonnes of drugs...?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:55 AM
link   

That's right. We don't have a justice system we have a control system. That's what laws are for, to control people. Law and Justice are two very different things and any lawyer can tell you our system isn't about Justice. Hell, it's barely about what is Lawful either except when it suits the Lawmakers. Otherwise it's only a control apparatus to maintain some form of predictable order of how people act. Most things are this way actually when you stop and look at it. Law Enforcement just happens to be a very powerful one and something you don't want to get caught up in unless you can buy your way out again.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:57 AM
link   
I will tell you this, the drug trade was taken over in the 80's by shadow groups or black ops if you want to call them that. However, it really isn't that dark and you may run into it if you are involved at the right levels. A lot of cash was seen as a nice source for black operations worldwide. I was once offered the protection and authority to run as much as I wanted to right here in the US. Here is a problem I see coming. There are opposition forces that want to outlaw cash in society. They claim to want to control untaxed money. However, they are going to be impinging on some extremely powerful interests. When cash is removed, there will be a big problem for narco operations trying to hide and trade in valuables. You can't trade oil for opium. It will effectively stop a lot of crime for some time until some other trade system could be set up. But, how would people feel about spending something electronically for something illegal?

I don't think the opposition has thought it out very well. On the other hand, maybe they have. It will make crimes of all types very difficult where cash is currently involved, from robbery to prostitution to drug dealing and trafficking.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   

originally posted by: enlightenedservant
If I told you that most major cartels, powerful paramilitaries & large organized crime rings were actually "Black Ops", would you believe it? Not "Special Ops", but real Black Ops.

I not only believe it, I know for a fact it's true. How else would such things get paid for???

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join