It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What's everyone doing bonfire night?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:42 PM
link   
a reply to: Revolution9

Ok, I have heard of this Guy Fawkes, but didn't know all the history behind it. Just never heard it referred to as bonfire night. Hope everyone who is celebrating has a great time!

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:44 PM
link   
Yeahh, it's eerily ritualistic actually, joining hands around fire burning some form of human symbol...a reply to: Revolution9

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   
Damn haha. The only thing I'll say is the story probably isn't accurate. The fact that the British govt. turned it into a taunt to celebrate his failure is creepy a reply to: DISRAELI

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Its when we celebrate a failed religious terrorist event in 1605, when they tried to blow up parliament. We do this with lots of fireworks and bonfire burning an effigy of Guy Fawkes (a mercenary, and these days known more as the Anonymous mask). Its a popular event for families and kids, but these days you can't help see the wackiness of it all

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:51 PM
link   
a reply to: Dimithae

i celebrate it every day it may just be a California thing,

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:57 PM
link   
a reply to: DOCHOLIDAZE1 haha Swagging...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:06 PM
link   
In 'murka, they banned bon fires.

freedom!

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:06 AM
link   
They used to celebrate it here a bit 50 or more years ago, but it faded out. I would like to bring it back and try and make it over take Halloween as Halloween is American and Guy Faukes at least is English and at least makes more sense to celebrate here than Halloween.*

Of course, this year is so dry if you were to light a bonfire on Nov 5th the local fire brigade would be likely to help you celebrate by hanging, drawing and quartering you LOL.

*Not that I have anything against American culture, just that it is taking over the Western world and it is nice to have some alternative variety.
edit on 3/11/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Night Star

Remember, remember the fifth of November, Gunpowder treason and plot. We see no reason Why gunpowder treason Should ever be forgot! Guy Fawkes, guy, t'was his intent To blow up king and parliament. Three score barrels were laid below To prove old England's overthrow.

www.bonfirenight.net...

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 05:10 AM
link   
a reply to: SKurtle

My plans are:

Burn things, break more things, then burn them too.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: Night Star

What is bonfire night?

The night The British burnt The White House to the ground.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:42 AM
link   
It's weird these days... the big Bonfire and fireworks displays are always at the weekend, whereas they used to always be ON the 5th.

We used to go to BRILL HILL (LINK) and look out over the county/ies and watch all the fireworks, and have a smoke.
Those were the days... you can see for miles and miles in all directions.

edit on 3/11/15 by blupblup because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 05:41 PM
link   
I think you really captured the essence of what the 5th represents with that one
a reply to: TrueBrit

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Update.
Drizzle wiped out any attempt at fireworks. I can save the box for another year.
I was satisfied with my "house anniversary" celebration. It included the annual apple-pie which I made up from my own apples and blackberries and froze a few weeks back. Memo to self; that dish wasn't deep enough, the pie was too thin. I think it was a flan dish. Remember for next time.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join