It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

New Star Trek in Jan 2017

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 01:44 PM
link   
a reply to: crazyewok

Agreed, I didn't care for him as a character until much later in the show...

Apparently after Gene stopped being active on the show due to health reasons, Wheaton had other career opportunities and needed to be written out of 1 episode...they wouldn't let that happen, so he had to pass on a movie deal. So he stuck with the show, only to end up being written out of that episode anyway.

Yeah, I'd be pissed and leave the show too.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 06:55 PM
link   
a reply to: MystikMushroom

Any source on the writers?
No complaints on the director, but Hollywood hasnt really shown great progress with writers,

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:01 PM
link   
While I never really cared for the character "Wesley", I have to say that Will Wheaton has cracked me up with his appearances on Big Bang.

As an adult, he is very obviously not afraid to poke fun at himself.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 11:30 PM
link   
a reply to: rajas

They are still looking for a showrunner. So I doubt any writers or directors have been chosen yet.

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

I suppose CBS is not brave enough to put a Science Fiction series in their prime time line-up.

Guess not, too full of crime dramas.... To be honest though, Sci-Fi hasn't fared well in big network in primetime. It does better on smaller networks.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 01:37 AM
link   
My big question is will the redesign The Enterprise again? and what will be the art direction will they go with?
Also what time period will the place it in.
A lot of Star Trek is constrained by Gene Roddenberry rules that he put in place. The Federation could have no internal conflicts or strife, humans were no longer prejudiced, there were no conflicts among the crew etc.

Rick Berman on Star treks direction
1701news.com...

"It wasn't difficult to understand his vision of Star Trek," Berman said. "His vision was extremely plain, extremely understandable. It was difficult from the point of view of writing. Writing drama is anchored in conflict and the resolution of conflict, and he did not want conflict between his core characters."

Instead, that conflict always had to come from the outside, which explains why many of the problems of Capt. Picard dealt with external forces, not internal.

Roddenberry "felt that by the 24th century, humanity had transcended petty conflict, and transcended of arguments in the same way that it had gone beyond poverty and disease and wars," Berman said. "If conflict wasn't readily available with the core characters, it had to come from outside, which was difficult, and it would drive the writers nuts."

Stories of how producers had to fight with Berman just to get a war to last more than an episode on "Deep Space Nine" can still be heard today. For Berman, however, his work was to try and maintain the original vision of the visionary himself, Gene Roddenberry."

Between the broadcast network rules and Roddenberry rules you could never get anything near the drama of "Game of Thrones" or "Walking Dead".

Deep Space Nine I thought was pretty good because it showed the federation can screw up from time to time. And the Characters had a story arc.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 05:16 AM
link   
I didn't enjoy renegades at all. Although it was fan fiction with some great actors I found the script just awful and incoherent, it lacked soul and depth and felt like something from a canceled soap opera. The visual effects were impressive and if they got a new writer its something I'd consider watching, but sadly its a bit of a stain on star trek in my opinion - sorry to all, I don't mean to offend.

A new series of star trek would be welcomed however. Each have had their own unique take on the star trek universe and there's not been one series I haven't watched from beginning to end. Different styles and situations but equally immersive. I know there have been rumours I've heard elsewhere about about the possibility of star trek heading off to a different galaxy entirely with the creation of a one way transwarp drive - to me though it sounds like a combination of the ideas of voyager and star gate universe, I eager awate on some further information however.. Engage!

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
It cost plenty to make movies or series. I think it will be reflected in the quality. Let's hope for the best, while expecting the mediocre ........

The new program will be the first original series developed specifically for U.S. audiences for CBS All Access, a cross-platform streaming service that brings viewers thousands of episodes from CBS’s current and past seasons on demand, plus the ability to stream their local CBS Television station live for $5.99 per month. CBS All Access already offers every episode of all previous Star Trek television series.

posted on Nov, 5 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
Please be better than enterprise.....
Fingers crossed.

Enterprise was freaking awesome what are you talking about?

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:07 AM
link   
a reply to: karmicecstasy

That would make sense as they are a business and want profits. They would kill two birds with one stone so to speak. A) they would benefit by new merchandise and higher viewer numbers etc and B) it would appease the hardcore fan base.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 09:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: mash3d
My big question is will the redesign The Enterprise again? and what will be the art direction will they go with?
Also what time period will the place it in.
A lot of Star Trek is constrained by Gene Roddenberry rules that he put in place. The Federation could have no internal conflicts or strife, humans were no longer prejudiced, there were no conflicts among the crew etc.

Rick Berman on Star treks direction
1701news.com...

"It wasn't difficult to understand his vision of Star Trek," Berman said. "His vision was extremely plain, extremely understandable. It was difficult from the point of view of writing. Writing drama is anchored in conflict and the resolution of conflict, and he did not want conflict between his core characters."

Instead, that conflict always had to come from the outside, which explains why many of the problems of Capt. Picard dealt with external forces, not internal.

Roddenberry "felt that by the 24th century, humanity had transcended petty conflict, and transcended of arguments in the same way that it had gone beyond poverty and disease and wars," Berman said. "If conflict wasn't readily available with the core characters, it had to come from outside, which was difficult, and it would drive the writers nuts."

Stories of how producers had to fight with Berman just to get a war to last more than an episode on "Deep Space Nine" can still be heard today. For Berman, however, his work was to try and maintain the original vision of the visionary himself, Gene Roddenberry."

Between the broadcast network rules and Roddenberry rules you could never get anything near the drama of "Game of Thrones" or "Walking Dead".

Deep Space Nine I thought was pretty good because it showed the federation can screw up from time to time. And the Characters had a story arc.

This is why it went done hill. Those who subscribed to the Gene messiah put to many consrtants .
If michael moore had not got full DS9 rights the dominion war would have turned into a two episode pilliow fight or end i. Picard in this best French surrendering to the borg.

Sorry roddenberry
Life is not dand,y , unicorns , lollipops ans rainbows and even if it was on earth that doesnt when it will be on kronos or romunulas or uni mantrix 0001 and that doesnt make good storys either.

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 04:01 PM
link   

You & I know that, but many Trek fans, not just show/movie staff or novel authors, are deadset on otherwise. Anything outside of Gene's outline is practically heresy.
Take for example this latest season of Star Trek Online. They rewrote part of the Cardassian Struggle mission arc, and fleshed out the intertwined Mirror Universe mission arc better. In the process, they introduced a new mission contact on DS9, a Bajoran. One of this NPC's lines makes a derogatory reference to Cardassians as "Cardies". Holy crap, you'd have thought the universe just imploded at the mere notion that bigotry still existed between the races. Considering the occupation history, this makes sense to me that there would be lingering bigotry, but as far as others are concerned, it flies in the face of Gene's vision. Well, no, not really. Gene's vision of an enlightened utopia was Human-centric, with some Vulcan flanking. The Romulans & Klingons, all the way back to TOS, exhibited their own bigotry as cultures.
Many Trekkies overlook this when arguing Gene's utopian model. I doubt he intended every alien race concocted to be perfect, since one can argue they're all allegories to past & present human behaviors & cultures anyway (remember who the Klingons are originally modeled after?)

posted on Nov, 6 2015 @ 05:32 PM
link   
Have been hoping for a new Star Trek series now for years.

I like the new movie recreation of the original crew, but found the retelling of the Wrath of Khan absolutely horrid.

A new series based on the basics... with a new setting and cast. It has to be better than nothing.

Beam me up, Scotty...

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:25 AM
link   

God i was soooooo drunk when i wrote that.

Still true though.

posted on Nov, 7 2015 @ 11:28 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

You & I know that, but many Trek fans, not just show/movie staff or novel authors, are deadset on otherwise. Anything outside of Gene's outline is practically heresy.
Take for example this latest season of Star Trek Online. They rewrote part of the Cardassian Struggle mission arc, and fleshed out the intertwined Mirror Universe mission arc better. In the process, they introduced a new mission contact on DS9, a Bajoran. One of this NPC's lines makes a derogatory reference to Cardassians as "Cardies". Holy crap, you'd have thought the universe just imploded at the mere notion that bigotry still existed between the races. Considering the occupation history, this makes sense to me that there would be lingering bigotry, but as far as others are concerned, it flies in the face of Gene's vision. Well, no, not really. Gene's vision of an enlightened utopia was Human-centric, with some Vulcan flanking. The Romulans & Klingons, all the way back to TOS, exhibited their own bigotry as cultures.
Many Trekkies overlook this when arguing Gene's utopian model. I doubt he intended every alien race concocted to be perfect, since one can argue they're all allegories to past & present human behaviors & cultures anyway (remember who the Klingons are originally modeled after?)

Really they used spoon head and cardies to refer to cardsians since season 1.

Kinda cant blame the bajorans for it to be honnest. The who nazi esq camps and slave labour coing to leave a tinge of grey.
edit on 7-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 09:01 AM
link   

He's pretty much embraced the nerdhood... he had a short-lived clip show, but also a web series where he and other sci-fi celebs play-test nerdy boardgames.

I don't get Roddenberry's rules. He didn't follow them. No internal conflict? What about Bones vs. Spock?

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gazrok

He's pretty much embraced the nerdhood... he had a short-lived clip show, but also a web series where he and other sci-fi celebs play-test nerdy boardgames.

I don't get Roddenberry's rules. He didn't follow them. No internal conflict? What about Bones vs. Spock?

I think after the original series Roddenberry got too full of himself and lost the plot.

It why the first 2 series of the original series are a million times superior to the first 2 series of TNG.

The sterilised and sanitised Enterprise D and its perfect almost non human crew did not work. I am glad they went from that. Infact 5-7 TNG were some of the best trek.

And children and familys on the Ent D? !!!!!!!! God! What a stupid idea.
edit on 9-11-2015 by crazyewok because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 01:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: crazyewok

It why the first 2 series of the original series are a million times superior to the first 2 series of TNG.

Dude, TNG's my favorite series, but even I can't deny the first 2 seasons were painfully bad. I mean, hello, Angel One & Code of Honor? < shudders > Season 2 was only marginally better. Hated Pulaski as it was.

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 03:22 PM
link   
I have to agree. While I'm nostalgic for TOS, TNG was definitely the best for me (though like above, it was a bit of a shaky start)...

And children and familys on the Ent D? !!!!!!!! God! What a stupid idea.

Yeah, that was always a pretty dumb idea. If you want to be on a "safe" ship, be on one....the Enterprise is NOT that ship!

posted on Nov, 9 2015 @ 11:35 PM
link   
Looking forward to it! It has been far too long since we had a TV show involving spaceships!

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join