It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UFO Hunter Claims NASA Cam picked up UFO...?

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 4 2015 @ 02:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: MotherMayEye
No. What am I missing? The moon isn't that far away from the earth. If the moon was reflecting the sun from that view, then surely we would see the earth lit up, too.

No. It's the moon. The moon was just above the horizon over the darkened limb of the earth at 22:46 UT on 10/29/15 where the ISS camera was pointed. Here's a simulated view using Orbiter 2010 and orbital elements of ISS from that day: h.dropcanvas.com...
The time was confirmed by matching up land features from later in the video:
h.dropcanvas.com...
Camera orientation was confirmed by observing the video from about 10 minutes before when the earth's terminator was visible below.
www.ustream.tv/recorded/76566552#to00:23:50
To those discussing previous videos of the moon from ISS where it isn't over-exposed but is very close to the bright sunlit earth surface, the camera has an auto-gain function. It was designed to capture the daylit portions of earth and ISS, so it evaluates the exposure by the histogram of the image. Since most of the image is black when pointing at the moon in the OP video, it ends up over-exposing the moon in an attempt to compensate for the mostly-black image. This is quite normal. If it happens to be near a daylit limb of the earth it's quite possible to see it properly exposed, or if the camera can zoom in enough that the moon occupies a substantial portion of the frame it may be possible for the autogain to correct itself to an appropriate level.
edit on 4-11-2015 by ngchunter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
There's so much space junk floating around up there it would be surprising if astronauts didn't see anything.

Now when are we gonna do something about the space pollution problem?

edit on 2-12-2015 by GrandCourtJester because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Actually this is the UFO episode I meant to post - space junk is just ideal camouflage for those sneaky aliens!

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 08:39 PM
link   
a reply to: GrandCourtJester

I loved that show when I was a kid , the premise of secret space program fighting Aliens coming here to harvest body parts and not looking to dissimilar to us really caught my attention , I still remember the time they caught the Alien.

posted on Dec, 2 2015 @ 09:12 PM
link   
Something tells me anomalies like this are more the routine than the exception for NASA. It's interesting how some default to possible 'space junk' when that sounds more dubious and unlikely than an ordinary UFO.
It's getting to the point where most people I meet have all seen some sort of unconventional object in the sky within their lifetime. So I can only imagine what the astronauts have seen and continue to see. NASA doesn't lie. They just deny.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join