It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Police: Concealed carry license holder kills armed gunman

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: Agit8dChop

so because there's 1 story in the media about a responsible gun owner killing a robber we should ignore the dozens of mass murders that have occurred at schools, shops, cinema's?.

That's the thing. It happens all the time. It just doesn't seem that way because the media you depended on is purposely ignoring those stories in order to manipulate you.
edit on 2-11-2015 by TheBulk because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: Agit8dChop

Ya figure the guy that got smoked cared whether he acquired his weapon legally?.

There lies the problem.

Those who would follow the law would have to wait and pay and do a silly song and dance to get the means to defend themselves.

Those who don't care would only have to trade this stolen stuff or money or whatever to that guy for a gun he stole somewhere from somebody or even borrowed from a relative.

Criminals don't care about laws, kinda like cops who are not really any more accountable, or there when you really need them to be there, thus giving them (cops and crimmies) the advantage over those who follow the rules.

A crosswalk won't protect you if you aren't watching what you do before you step into the street from anyone but the cops who will simply not call you a jaywalker if you die, like a lesser form of a human.

The rampage guys don't come out as often as your television would have you believe.

Turn it off.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 08:39 AM
link   
a reply to: Phage

...But corporations claim business losses on money they never made...So why can't I?....

Wait!, wait!, wait!....... Off topic.......Disregard.
edit on 2-11-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: I'm just dumb....

edit on 2-11-2015 by MyHappyDogShiner because: yup

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Hey, we might give them an idea.... you can carry a gun but the ammo must be in a separate location and rounds must not be pre-loaded in a magazine! Yeah....

I believe cops in Norway or Denmark have their firearms and ammo locked separately in the trunk of their cars while their out patrolling.. Seems to work fine for them. I understand your point nonetheless though, this piece of legislation in Chicago,Illinois is indeed unconstitutional and should be repealed.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   

originally posted by: Phage
a reply to: OccamsRazor04

Except Chicago DID grab everyone's guns.

Who's guns did they grab, exactly? You mean illegal weapons? Is that bad?
www.thetrace.org...

Apparently not everyone's, because a lot have people are being killed with them there.

As far as I can tell, they did make it hard to purchase them locally though.

Your semantics games are tiring. I live in Chicago. No, they did not go door to door confiscating firearms. However, they made it basically impossible to legally acquire and possess a firearm. It accomplished the same thing. They basically made it so that even if you tried to follow the law, you still couldn't own a firearm. The end result is the same. You know exactly what the other posters were saying.

Self defense cases happen all the time. They are just not reported on in the same vigor. In most cases, no shots are not even fired.

I have no problem with concealed carry. It works because it makes criminals think twice because it makes things uncertain for them. They never know who might be carrying.

With that said, concealed carry in Chicago really won't stop much of the day to day violence as nearly all of it is one thug shooting another thug. The typical white bread suburbanite who wants CCW has little to fear in regards of crime in Chicago. They don't live in the areas in which most of the murders and violence occurs and have zero reason to be there unless they are buying meth / heroine. With that said, some of the people who do live in these areas have a right to defend themselves.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

so because there's 1 story in the media about a responsible gun owner killing a robber we should ignore the dozens of mass murders that have occurred at schools, shops, cinema's?

Because if the media actually were to show the positive side of being a gun owner, it wouldn't fit the "Guns Are Bad" agenda. They will splash a maniac all over the news for weeks. We find out his entire background from birth to the day he committed the crime, the gun he used, what caliber, number of shots fired, Every. tiny. little. detail. But you rarely hear about the good guy who stopped a crime or legally defended themselves, friends or family. Can't have that now can we?

people.duke.edu...

Research conducted by Professors James Wright and Peter Rossi,6 for a landmark study funded by the U.S. Department of Justice, points to the armed citizen as possibly the most effective deterrent to crime in the nation. Wright and Rossi questioned over 1,800 felons serving time in prisons across the nation and found:

81% agreed the "smart criminal" will try to find out if a potential victim is armed.
74% felt that burglars avoided occupied dwellings for fear of being shot.
80% of "handgun predators" had encountered armed citizens.
40% did not commit a specific crime for fear that the victim was armed.
34% of "handgun predators" were scared off or shot at by armed victims.
57% felt that the typical criminal feared being shot by citizens more than he feared being shot by police.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 09:36 AM
link   
I'm still not comfortable with the public being allowed to be judge and executioner.

I'm all for self defence however, but there is a fine line. I'm glad I am not the one who has to try to make reasonable laws on this subject.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 10:38 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe
I'm still not comfortable with the public being allowed to be judge and executioner.

I'm all for self defence however, but there is a fine line. I'm glad I am not the one who has to try to make reasonable laws on this subject.

I agree. In the CCW class, most of the time is spent explaining situations where you can and cannot legally shoot. And all the situations can't possibly be covered, so in the end, you are left with the personal decision, but knowing that the law will be harsher on the CCW holder, as he has been trained.

I would like to see LEO's offer free classes for CCW's in more in depth aspects of the laws and when it's OK to shoot.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 11:03 AM
link   
a reply to: network dude

Having the ability to defend yourself is supposedly a right, when one agrees to pay someone for a right it becomes a privilege which can be revoked by the issuing authority / arbiter. I believe there was a thread here recently that discussed how we enter into so many arbitrary agreements.....

One who would threaten you with physical harm via any weapon is judging you as having something they want and deciding to threaten you with execution if you don't comply.

It's NEVER OK to use lethal force, EVER.

But some people just don't quite know that and people need to defend themselves from those who don't quite get it.

The lesser of two Weevils.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:45 PM
link   
a reply to: MyHappyDogShiner

I agree, it's never OK to use lethal force.

Unfortunately, it is sometimes NECESSARY.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 02:41 PM
link   

Yes they do. Ask the people of Conneticut
townhall.com...
California
www.huffingtonpost.com...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 02:49 PM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Oh I see you've never been to the south side. Everyone carries. They do it with or without a permit. Always have. This is one instance where it worked out in gun rights advocates favor. Despite that I am all for gun rights I don't use one news story to declare victory for my ideology. I'm still hearing you out gun control people.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

I would like to see LEO's offer free classes for CCW's in more in depth aspects of the laws and when it's OK to shoot.

I don't think that would work out too well:

"So, what you're saying, Officer Smith, is that if someone is walking towards my car 'with purpose' I can unload my gun at them through the passenger window?"

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Someone needs to set up a crowdfunding site for these types of hero's...

That and some good YouTube training videos would be awesome.

The GoFundMe account for Chris Mintz, the Oregon shooting hero, was a huge success BTW...

EDIT: Holy bat crap... I just looked up Chris Mintz's crowdfund site and it has already reached $815,195.00.

Apparently it's true, crime doesn't pay, fighting crime does though...

edit on 2-11-2015 by Murgatroid because: felt like it...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 05:24 PM
link   

originally posted by: Nexttimemaybe

I can see where you are coming from but,

Our curremt method of calling 911 for help is not enough to get the criminals before they can do serious damage to people and property.

I would rather be in a situation where a fellow patron has a weapon and can confront a armed criminal than to wait on help that might get there to late.
edit on 2-11-2015 by liejunkie01 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:41 PM
link   
a reply to: Murgatroid

Still not a good idea.that would start a wave of legal trigger happy vigilantes
for money and fame
Much the same way shooting up a school is somehow idolized.
Im all for CCW permits, I have mine as do most of my family,but paying for vigilantes looking for a crime is not a good idea

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   
I always enjoy, in articles about a CCW holder stopping a crime, there is a lengthy discussion about how charges won't be filed. Why the need to frighten people with the possibility of charges at all?

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 05:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

Having the ability to defend yourself is supposedly a right, when one agrees to pay someone for a right it becomes a privilege which can be revoked by the issuing authority / arbiter. I believe there was a thread here recently that discussed how we enter into so many arbitrary agreements.....

One who would threaten you with physical harm via any weapon is judging you as having something they want and deciding to threaten you with execution if you don't comply.

But some people just don't quite know that and people need to defend themselves from those who don't quite get it.

Right, and as a CCW, you not only have the moral obligation to protect yourself, and those around you, but you have the LEGAL obligation to ensure that whatever you do, is compatible with the law. I sincerely hope I never fire my weapon at anything but paper targets and empty beer cans. But should I have to fire at a person, I doubt I'll have time to run through all the scenarios in my head first, just instinct and trust that I made the correct choice.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 07:18 AM
link   

If it wasn't guns, it would be knives and pipe bombs and without concealed carry many lives could potentially be lost before the armed authorities arrive.

In fact I remember reading about a guy in Asia who went to a school and stabbed at least 20 people before anybody even knew what was going on.

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 04:38 PM
link   

originally posted by: network dude

originally posted by: MyHappyDogShiner

Right, and as a CCW, you not only have the moral obligation to protect yourself, and those around you, but you have the LEGAL obligation to ensure that whatever you do, is compatible with the law. I sincerely hope I never fire my weapon at anything but paper targets and empty beer cans. But should I have to fire at a person, I doubt I'll have time to run through all the scenarios in my head first, just instinct and trust that I made the correct choice.

I have a CCW and there is no obligation to serve and protect with it. The instructor I had was a Columbine survivor and he had been in a situation where he was robbed on the street for his wallet. Rather than pulling his gun during or after the robbery, he let the bad guy go. Why? Because it wasn't worth loosing everything he owns for the ensuing court case. There is a lot of responsibility legally on the CCW citizen. If you're going to get beat up or robbed, and you shoot/kill the perp, your probably not going to get a medal. You WILL have months or years of court cases ahead of you.
The laws have me in check enough that it would take another gun and a real threat for me to unholster my gun. Most of the powers that be do not want us having, and definitely not carrying weapons. They will make an example of your case to put the fear in other CCW's (like myself). Keep in mind ALL the reports OF COPS pulling guns on people unarmed. Replace that cop with a normal citizen that happens to have a CCW. Not pretty. I support the NRA and I conceal carry, again I'm going to say it, think twice before drawing a weapon.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join