It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Spiders the size of rats are breeding and colonising the UK .. Title:

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:17 PM
link   
It would seem there has been some effort to establish a habitat and manage existing grazing marshes, thereby maintaining ideal conditions for them to grow and spread.

To be honest I did not know the U.K did not have tarantulas and knew nothing about this rather large spider which the article says can be the size of an adult palm.

Some people hate spiders and detest the sight of them.. Myself I just think they are another part of this world we get to share with.. They stay on their part of "SHARE" and I stay on mine....then there are no problems..

Britain’s biggest spider is having a baby boom thanks to ideal weather conditions.

The fen raft spider is as large as an adult’s palm – or a rat, if you prefer – and is the closest thing the UK has to a tarantula. Its hairless body has long legs, a dark body and cream stripes down the side and it prefers to live in dark boggy places.

So far, so scary and no, this isn’t a Halloween joke.

Thankfully though, it poses no threat to humans and you’re unlikely to come across one lurking in the shower because at the moment they mainly live in RSPB Strumpshaw Fen in the Norfolk Broads.

That doesn’t mean they’re not going to spread their eight-legged empire further, though. More than 1,000 nursery webs have been counted in Suffolk, and each one can give birth to thousands of babies

Read more: metro.co.uk...

metro.co.uk...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:26 PM
link   
Just because spiders are big and ugly does not mean they are going to bite you.

Owwww, I just got bit by a spider, I'm sorry, I should have said they are cute and fuzzy.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:27 PM
link   
a reply to: 727Sky

That's it, the UK is lost, abandon all hope!!!!

Only thing left is the burn the entire place and start over!!
edit on 31-10-2015 by Drinking because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

I for one, welcome our new spider overlords and hereby nominate that they terrorize the politicians and lawyers first. Oh, and don't bother trying to immigrate to Australia to escape the nesting hoard of 8-legged hairy beasts because we have spiders that eat pommie spiders for breakfast.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:37 PM
link   
a reply to: Sublimecraft

To true mate , to true . Avatar says it all .

edit on 31-10-2015 by hutch622 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: 727Sky
It would seem there has been some effort to establish a habitat and manage existing grazing marshes, thereby maintaining ideal conditions for them to grow and spread.

To be honest I did not know the U.K did not have tarantulas and knew nothing about this rather large spider which the article says can be the size of an adult palm.

Some people hate spiders and detest the sight of them.. Myself I just think they are another part of this world we get to share with.. They stay on their part of "SHARE" and I stay on mine....then there are no problems..

Britain’s biggest spider is having a baby boom thanks to ideal weather conditions.

The fen raft spider is as large as an adult’s palm – or a rat, if you prefer – and is the closest thing the UK has to a tarantula. Its hairless body has long legs, a dark body and cream stripes down the side and it prefers to live in dark boggy places.

So far, so scary and no, this isn’t a Halloween joke.

Thankfully though, it poses no threat to humans and you’re unlikely to come across one lurking in the shower because at the moment they mainly live in RSPB Strumpshaw Fen in the Norfolk Broads.

That doesn’t mean they’re not going to spread their eight-legged empire further, though. More than 1,000 nursery webs have been counted in Suffolk, and each one can give birth to thousands of babies

Read more: metro.co.uk...

metro.co.uk...

Out here in the desert, during a certain time of the year there is a parade of giant tarantulas that can make roads into hazards. I feel bad when I run them over. Just like when locusts have a good breeding season and you run over millions of them on the highway or they fly into the windshield. It makes for an interesting and dangerous driving experience.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Kratos40

Yep crabs do the same thing in certain parts of the world... As far as bugs and the saying, "it takes guts to be a bug, just look at my windshield if you don't believe me"... Much truth in that IMO.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:45 PM
link   
So long as they stay out where they are supposed to be and leave me where I am supposed to be I can find them more fascinating than frightening. It's when I wake up with one crawling over my face in the middle of the might that we have some issues ...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:47 PM
link   

I have dug up a few funnel webs over the years and they are vicious buggers,i had a male on the end of my shovel,it was chomping down on the steel and i could feel quite a strong vibration coming up through the handle and the fang strikes sounded like metal on metal......

This south American spider has a bizarre side effect which may end up making a lot of woman happy
:

On topic,if these spiders have been hidden away in the U.K makes me wonder what kinda monster spiders are lurking out there in the jungles.......

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: Sublimecraft

I for one, welcome our new spider overlords and hereby nominate that they terrorize the politicians and lawyers first. Oh, and don't bother trying to immigrate to Australia to escape the nesting hoard of 8-legged hairy beasts because we have spiders that eat pommie spiders for breakfast.

I would rather encounter a giant arachnid than a cockroach. I have this hatred towards cockroaches like you would not believe. Whenever I find one in the house I kill it, then I have to spray and disinfect the whole place.
I wil never forget the giant cockroach encounter I had at my Uncle's old place after he passed away. He lived in the old family ranch house. These may be a new species, because I have never encountered roaches that big in my entire life. They showed intelligence as I tried to swat them and they were trying to get back into the hole in the wall. To this day I find it disturbing as they tried to distract me while I blocked their exit.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:59 PM
link   

I have this hatred towards cockroaches like you would not believe.

Ha ha , don't go to Darwin in Australia then . You can throw a saddle on them and ride to the pub . This accomplishes two things .
One . You dont get done for drink driving .
Two . Gets them out of your house .

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: hutch622

I have this hatred towards cockroaches like you would not believe.

Ha ha , don't go to Darwin in Australia then . You can throw a saddle on them and ride to the pub . This accomplishes two things .
One . You dont get done for drink driving .
Two . Gets them out of your house .

Ok. Well you ruined one of my entries on my bucket list. Originally, was to land in Darwin and make my way to Alice Springs. Do these critters also reside in Alice Springs? Perhaps after a few dozen beers I can tolerate them?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:28 PM
link   

They have been around for centuries, they call them the royal family.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Ok. Well you ruined one of my entries on my bucket list.

Normally i just wind people up about Australia and while you obviously cant ride cockroaches to the pub , they are quite large . However that being said unless you are hanging around your motels dumpster you should be fine . Darwin and its surrounding attractions is a real must see . Now salt water crocs are another matter , if the locals aren't standing near the water its probably best you don't . Hope that helps alleviate your fears .

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:18 AM
link   

I thought you were into Weta's ! ??

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:27 AM
link   

originally posted by: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

This south American spider has a bizarre side effect which may end up making a lot of woman happy
:

That's called a priapism,and is no laughing matter,if you get a priapism,how they releaved the pain and excess blood flow is they cut into your happy stick,and after that you will have a sad once happy stick.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:29 AM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

:

That's called a priapism,and is no laughing matter,if you get a priapism,how they releaved the pain and excess blood flow is they cut into your happy stick,and after that you will have a sad once happy stick.

Details details

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:31 AM
link   

DANG Sublimecraft!! I almost dropped my phone when I scrolled down, totally unprepared, and saw your creepy crawly hoofin' it across the page! Sheesh!!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:32 AM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

:

Details details

This enough details?(caution graphic)

Priapism surgery: www.youtube.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:24 AM
link   
a reply to: hopenotfeariswhatweneed

I thought raft spiders have always been here. Never seen one, but I'm sure we've always had 'em.

I have, however, seen the Wandering Spider you posted. I was working in a convenience store and a woman pointed it out, crawling it's way out of a banana box. I completely lost my ****. I've kept scorpions and giant centipedes with no problems, but I don't do spiders well. Any who, long story short, I ran and got a bigger bloke who squished it bare handed in a sheet of tissue. Could not believe it. "What? Can't leave it there, can we?"

Better man than me.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join