It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

High school suspends coach for praying at games and Satanists make an appearance

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:46 PM
link   
a reply to: Klassified
I Worked with a Good Friend of Mine.
One Day at Work He had Nodded Off to Sleep at Work.
Head Bowed Eyes Closed.
He Heard the Boss Walk Up.
He Cracked one Eye Slightly and
said AMEN. LOL

Seems That Sometimes Prayers are Heard.
He Didn't Get FIRED
LOL

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
a reply to: Wardaddy454

Keep the government out of religion? Yes, that's what many of us are saying.

Keep a state-employed school official from leading a religious prayer on state-owned property after a state-sponsored event.

Lol way to miss the entire point

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Klassified

Guess that answers the question I've asked repeatedly in this thread, doesn't it?

It does indeed Klassified.

To absolutely no one's benefit.

I am very much in favor of complete religious freedom. I think the government should stay out of any smack of the religious business completely. I think history demonstrates the very clear reasons for that. I think our traditions over the last 200 some odd years demonstrate the clear reasons for that.

I just wish the zealots would think ahead for just a moment ...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:06 PM
link   

Keeping the government out of religion is missing your point?

But, that is exactly what you said!

Here, I'll quote you:

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

As you can see, he was trying to keep the government out of religion, not the other way around.

Did you not mean what you said?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:48 PM
link   

a reply to: Annee

(Christian) Students swarmed the fence where the Satanists stood outside. The group climbed the fence, shook it, held up crosses, threw liquid, and chanted “Jesus.” Some yelled at the Satanists to go away.

So much for "love thy neighbor."

So much for religious freedom.

"Christian Arrogance" ---- they seem to think they are special to America, and deserve rights above others.

I grew up Christian. Speak what I know. You don't see me speaking about Islam, Judaism, etc ---- because I have no real life knowledge or experience in those beliefs.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Guess that answers the question I've asked repeatedly in this thread, doesn't it?

It does indeed Klassified.

To absolutely no one's benefit.

I am very much in favor of complete religious freedom. I think the government should stay out of any smack of the religious business completely. I think history demonstrates the very clear reasons for that. I think our traditions over the last 200 some odd years demonstrate the clear reasons for that.

I just wish the zealots would think ahead for just a moment ...

Me too ---- although child indoctrination scares me.

I support 100% Separation of Church and State in government and Equal Civil Rights.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
He seems like a nice guy, but he admitted that he doesn't know anything about the constitution, and it is clearly unconstitutional for school employees to lead prayers on school property during school events.

He doesn't 'lead ' prayers on school property during school events. AFTER a school event is over,he goes, by himself, to the football field and says a short prayer to himself, other students join him of their own free will. If you read the article, even agnostic students join him.

And if you have a problem with this coach taking a minute to pray to himself after a football game to thank his god for 'allowing' him to be a positive influence on teenagers that, these days, are increasingly lacking in direction, then you had better start condemning the schools that allow MUSLIM STUDENTS out of class DURING CLASS TIME, to pray ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

Go on, let's hear it.

Otherwise you are just another Christian Bashing, Liberal Hypocrite

dailycaller.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   

originally posted by: chuck258

He seems like a nice guy, but he admitted that he doesn't know anything about the constitution, and it is clearly unconstitutional for school employees to lead prayers on school property during school events.

He doesn't 'lead ' prayers on school property during school events. AFTER a school event is over,he goes, by himself, to the football field and says a short prayer to himself, other students join him of their own free will. If you read the article, even agnostic students join him.

And if you have a problem with this coach taking a minute to pray to himself after a football game to thank his god for 'allowing' him to be a positive influence on teenagers that, these days, are increasingly lacking in direction, then you had better start condemning the schools that allow MUSLIM STUDENTS out of class DURING CLASS TIME, to pray ON SCHOOL PROPERTY

Go on, let's hear it.

dailycaller.com...

It's a school event on school property. The game ending does not change that fact.

Once students joined him, he was in violation of Separation of Church and State.

He was asked to stop. He refused. Now, he is intentionally violating Separation of Church and State.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:53 PM
link   
everyone get a clue to what's going on here.....someone is really fighting the truth of the word given in the by far greatest literary work......which resides in a league of it's own.....none even comes close. Let's tell the truth here!!!
Hey, are we gonna tell the truth?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   

originally posted by: GBP/JPY
everyone get a clue to what's going on here.....someone is really fighting the truth of the word given in the by far greatest literary work......which resides in a league of it's own.....none even comes close. Let's tell the truth here!!!
Hey, are we gonna tell the truth?

You wanna translate that?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Go on, let's hear it.

dailycaller.com...

It's a school event on school property. The game ending does not change that fact.

Once students joined him, he was in violation of Separation of Church and State.

He was asked to stop. He refused. Now, he is intentionally violating Separation of Church and State.

Separation of Church and State does not mean the government cannot accommodate religious beliefs. Separation of Church and State is to stop the State from Advocating for, promoting, or officiating one religion over another. Might want to re-read the first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting the ESTABLISHMENT (meaning the implementation of) of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.
edit on 1-11-2015 by chuck258 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:18 PM
link   

The game ending has everything to do with this case. He goes and does his prayers after the event is over and the students are no longer his 'custody'.

Not sure how students joining him in prayer on their own, of their own accord, and without any sort of fear of reprisal automatically makes him a representative of the state in an establishment of religion.

He was asked to stop, and when his lawyers requested meetings were ignored, the state pulled a fast one and just suspended him.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee

Go on, let's hear it.

dailycaller.com...

Separation of Church and State does not mean the government cannot accommodate religious beliefs. Separation of Church and State is to stop the State from Advocating for, promoting, or officiating one religion over another. Might want to re-read the first amendment:

Congress shall make no law respecting the ESTABLISHMENT (meaning the implementation of) of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof.

Teachers/faculty in public school can not pray with students.

Students can pray by themselves, for themelves. They can not prosteltize or have a captive audience.

I am not going to argue 200+ year old words.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: Isurrender73

a reply to: Sremmos80

Can't help but wonder if the parents interviewed would feel the same if it what was a different religions prayer.

Exactly. What would happen if the coach were a Wiccan, and prayed to the goddess at the end of games with his students? How well would that go over? But we've been conditioned that it's ok, because it's Christian. Not any more.

As long as its not mandatory, the wiccan faith is a peace seeking faith and it wouldn't bother me.

Praying to a higher power is universal. Even for atheist who understand prayer should see it as simply a form of positive reinforcement which has proven to help. Hence 1 million and 1 self-help books

Universal?
As in everyone does it?
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
I don't, and I know more people who don't than do.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

The game ending has everything to do with this case. He goes and does his prayers after the event is over and the students are no longer his 'custody'.

Not sure how students joining him in prayer on their own, of their own accord, and without any sort of fear of reprisal automatically makes him a representative of the state in an establishment of religion.

He was asked to stop, and when his lawyers requested meetings were ignored, the state pulled a fast one and just suspended him.

No fear or reprisal, hunh?
You don't think a player that refuses to pray with the team and coach aren't going to be marginalised?
I find that very hard to believe.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Sorry you're against religious freedom and want to keep kids from praying as they wish.

Thanks for being honest that you're only in favor of Christians getting special treatment.

Of course the coach is a) still working for the government, b) still on government property, c) still in a position of authority over the students, d) still leading by example, and e) still knowingly breaking the law.

Accommodating religious beliefs does not include forcing others to take part in them. Establishing means establishing.

The Constitution is in effect, five minutes before school events, after school events, during school events ... all the time.

Keeping Christians like you from trampling the Constitution underfoot and using the government as your proxy for inflicting your cult on others is not bashing.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
a reply to: GBP/JPY

Whose truth?
God?
Allah?
Jehovah?
Yahweh?
Odin?
Zeus?
Whose truth?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   
a reply to: chuck258

Christianity deserves every bit of bashing it gets.
Your ridiculous religion is responsible for 2000 years of some of the most heinous violence and inhuman carnage that has ever been perpetrated on earth.
You don't get a pass from me because it was done in the past.
Your religion needs to be destroyed plain and simple, along with the rest of the abrahamic cults.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: VictorBloodworth

originally posted by: Isurrender73

a reply to: Sremmos80

Can't help but wonder if the parents interviewed would feel the same if it what was a different religions prayer.

Exactly. What would happen if the coach were a Wiccan, and prayed to the goddess at the end of games with his students? How well would that go over? But we've been conditioned that it's ok, because it's Christian. Not any more.

As long as its not mandatory, the wiccan faith is a peace seeking faith and it wouldn't bother me.

Praying to a higher power is universal. Even for atheist who understand prayer should see it as simply a form of positive reinforcement which has proven to help. Hence 1 million and 1 self-help books

Universal?
As in everyone does it?
Wrong, wrong, wrong.
I don't, and I know more people who don't than do.

I talk to Programmer Frank.

If we're in the Matrix, I wanna make sure he does what I want, not what he wants.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Keeping the government out of religion is missing your point?

But, that is exactly what you said!

Here, I'll quote you:

originally posted by: Wardaddy454

As you can see, he was trying to keep the government out of religion, not the other way around.

Did you not mean what you said?

Keeping government out of religion does not mean prevent a man from praying just because he's on school grounds. It's about keeping government from promoting one religion right? I'm pretty sure every religion prays, so this is just a matter of "ugh he's praying, why cant he do that somewhere else?!'

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join