It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

This Turning-The-Clocks-Back Nonsense Needs To Stop

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:33 PM
link   
Not pointing out the obvious, but I see a lot of people complaining how it makes winter days too short when actually it has no effect at all. It does not make winter days shorter, it makes summer days longer - DST is only in effect Mar -Oct. If it were abandoned, winter days would be just as they are now.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:50 PM
link   
a reply to: cleverhans

We could keep the DST throughout the whole year and then all of the days would be longer.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:07 AM
link   
Ever since I moved to Arizona I have forgotten about dst and the farmers out here have no problems with it.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:28 AM
link   
I'm in favor as it gets dark earlier enough int he northern US as it is. Some states recently, surely also in the past(minus Hawaii and Arizona which already don't have it), tried to vote off the change. These were shot down.
One state source I'm guessing it would have to be region wise instead of some states due to boarder city issues and more.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I agree. I use to think it was farmers but I guess the idea came from Ben Franklin wanting to save candles in paris while he stalked some chick who cared less about him.

Hawaii and Arizona are non conformists. Maybe because the heat? Shrug.

a reply to: N3k9Ni

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:55 AM
link   

Why don't we just adopt the time frame we call "daylight saving time" as regular old "time"? Or vice-versa, whatever. Just pick one already!

Ya I know. Its all kind of pointless, but hey whatever. Changing up the time to supposedly save a hour, or doing nothing is practically the same dam thing.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:28 AM
link   
a reply to: cleverhans
Actually it would change nothing, winter will be just as long, and summer just as long, you can not simply change any of days by declaring one shorter or longer or by adding or taking a hour off. I think it was set up because not all days in summer are the same hourly length of sunlight or winter off-course so the numbering on the clocks would be more consistent and in more same base hourly regulations through out the years.

But really instead of setting the clock one hour back and getting used to that, you can just get used to waking up one hour earlier on your current time and not having to change the clock. Its a cheep way basically to keeping the semblance of the seasons and day length more orderly when in fact it would be the same thing either way. And instead of getting used to the changing clock you would have to be more aware of the changing seasons and day/sunlight length to maximize your day hours.

Its a bizarre practice really. probably to get people more conditioned to static conceptual time instead of the whole seasonal time we were used to while we were herders and farmers getting up with the sun and such. Now we got a machine to tell us when we should get up instead of the seasons.

I see in your avatar that your location is Huston. So it would be like 4:29 am there as I am writing this, instead of the 2:29 were I am at. I suppose that just means your some sort of time traveler from the future, 2 hours ahead in the future to be precise.

Wow! SO what is it like in the future? Have we invented hover-boards yet, I cant wait to get there it seems so close yet so far away now.

Wait a minute didnt time just go back one hour about one hour ago because of the daylight saving time ended? So that would technically make you only one hour into the future or something because now the clock is set back one hour. Oh man this is confusing, its like back to the future all over again.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:55 AM
link   

originally posted by: buster2010

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: yorkshirelad

Don't start me on farming. Cows can't tell the fricking time. They need milking when they need milking the time of fricking day makes no goddam difference.

Actually it's for planting crops.

Well golly gee whiz, how in the world did the farmers ages ago ever make do without timepieces? Perhaps, IDK, relying on the glowing thing in the sky instead?

Because farmers a couple of ages ago wasn't trying to plant thousands of acres at a time.

And that's a logic fail if ever I saw one. The hours of daylight for them to use to plant said crops remain the same. Changing the sunrise/sunset does not increase the number of usable daylight hours. Instead of dumping DST on everyone else not a farmer, maybe it would make more sense for them to farm like their forefathers, and literally follow the sun's cue here and not dupe themselves with a time change.

Are you saying there are the same number of daylight hours in say March as there is in August? The main reason why it was started was to be able to maximized the number of daylight hours. So it was started to follow the suns cue.

Simple solution

Farmer gets up earlier.

Farmer uses the headlights on his tractor /combine harvester.

Why do this wretched clock adjustment that inconveniences 99% of the non farmers?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:08 AM
link   
I love standard time. I don't see the need for DST as the days are longer anyway in the Spring and Summer. I'm glad we switched back this weekend.
At least for a while, I won't be driving to work in the dark in the mornings.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

originally posted by: thesaneone
Ever since I moved to Arizona I have forgotten about dst and the farmers out here have no problems with it.

Guess Arizona have to do something right

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:23 AM
link   

Agreed! I hate it. I don't like sunlight at 6am and darkness at 6pm.

It's pointless!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:08 AM
link   
I completely agree with the OP

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
a reply to: ChesterJohn

I was alive and in my late teens in the 70s. Never once did I hear this reason for the implementation of DST. It was for the crop farmer.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:53 AM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

Your "rant" reminded me of the movie Falling Down.
I would link/embed it but for the language!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:44 AM
link   
I guess I'm the only one who likes it? I do!

And it keeps the kids from having to go to school in the dark. Nobody wants their child at the bus stop in the dark.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:17 AM
link   

I feel like a jerk....

I could have got ass last night, told me to pick her up from work, " time keeps on changing, changing..."

So did not.

I'll be back. Calling for forgiveness right now
edit on 1-11-2015 by AK907ICECOLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:19 AM
link   

a reply to: yorkshirelad

Don't start me on farming. Cows can't tell the fricking time. They need milking when they need milking the time of fricking day makes no goddam difference.

Actually it's for planting crops.

Well golly gee whiz, how in the world did the farmers ages ago ever make do without timepieces? Perhaps, IDK, relying on the glowing thing in the sky instead?

It was for the working day to include more daylight at the start of the day, and was particularly for agriculture - it's actually not that hard to understand if you think about it.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:57 AM
link   

originally posted by: TNMockingbird

Your "rant" reminded me of the movie Falling Down.
I would link/embed it but for the language!

Is that the one with Michael Douglas? Goood movie. I prefer the "Mad as Hell" rant by Howard Beil in Network.

EDIT: My experience has been Its 'okay' to provide links to stuff with 'bad' language . You just can't use offensive language directly on site.

Add a Language Warning tag so people can make up their mind prior to reviewing off site material.
edit on 1-11-2015 by intrptr because: EDIT:

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 11:29 AM
link   

THAT's the one!

Thanks for the tip!

I love Network also!

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:11 PM
link   
a reply to: lordcomac

Yes when your trying to adjust yourself to hours either going forward or back with your physically or mentally. Its takes time and they will change again as you've adjusted to it. Also, your adjusting to the seasonal change and of the daylight or darkness.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join