It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

best vpn for linux?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:48 PM
link   
hello all.
i recently installed linux and i am looking for a vpn. there are so many out there and i just cant settle on one.
i need to be able to use it with linux mint and on my wifes windows 10 laptop.

so far the prices on all of them seem fine. just not sure what to go with.

i have open vpn in my software list and it is only 50 bucks for a terabyte worth of transfers that never expire.
the thing is it says you have to use virtual box and i dont want this to be more steps than i have to.

thanks in advance.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:56 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Okay, one very easy step then, pick up computer and walk it over to the window and you see that sewer down there next to the curb? Aim for it just so and you will have your VPN.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:05 PM
link   

Im wondering what the advantages are of a vpn?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:10 PM
link   
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

so they dont work then?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   

Sure they do, but a lot more goes into anonymity then just a good vpn. You need to hide your browser fingerprint at minimum. And a vpn isn't going to save you from any high tech spy agency. And the whole idea of running linux on top of windows is flawed in every possible respect.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

A VPN can be used to encrypt your traffic. While you can run a VPN locally using your connection, I would recommend setting up and using VPNs on small, remote machines that only you can connect to using connections that do not belong to you.

You'd be surprised how easy this is to do.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
a reply to: soulpowertothendegree

so they dont work then?

You're better off assuming that they don't work.

Use them if you want to, but never assume anything online is actually secure.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
hello all.
i recently installed linux and i am looking for a vpn. there are so many out there and i just cant settle on one.
i need to be able to use it with linux mint and on my wifes windows 10 laptop.

so far the prices on all of them seem fine. just not sure what to go with.

i have open vpn in my software list and it is only 50 bucks for a terabyte worth of transfers that never expire.
the thing is it says you have to use virtual box and i dont want this to be more steps than i have to.

thanks in advance.

If you are concerned about your net privacy I'd get the Tor browser,but even then you still can't be 100% anonymous online even if you have Tor+VPN so I personally wouldn't even bother unless you are doing something illegal there isn't much worth the effort of using Tor or VPN,and if you use either the NSA/FBI watches your activity even closer than they did before so by trying to get more privacy you will actually draw more attention to yourself.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:13 AM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

I disagree, the best option is to send ALL of your traffic through TOR and/or a VPN. This will of course increase the latency and slow the speed at which one browses the web, but obfuscating all traffic when doing nothing wrong further obfuscates the potentially naughty stuff ( like looking at stuff which isnt illegal . . . YET).

OP,

If you are going to pay for a VPN, you are probably better off using the money to buy yourself a weekend and are learn how TOR and 'bridges' work. They are far less expensive and will most likely offer more security during your web browsing.

Also OP learn about HTTPS, it is a better version of HTTP (which has had so many holes exposed I am amazed it is still out there). Try to not visit websites which use HTTP.

Also (again) do not run linux on top of windows. Install Linux and run windows as a VM (virtual machine) as you will have greater control over what does and does not get to shake hands with the interwebs.

Bridges
www.torproject.org...

VM
www.howtogeek.com...
www.linux.com...

Stay frosty OP
-FBB

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:25 AM
link   
thanks for all the replies.
i am not running linux on windows. i have linux only going on.
i do not want to run any kind of virtual machine.

i am also not worried about hiding all of my activities. i
i only want/need to hide myself at certain times.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   
On your wife's laptop you could use the free Epic Browser (powered by Chromium like Chrome is). It has a built in VPN and prevents 3rd party cookies and trackers.

Link

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:50 AM
link   

If your idea is intermittent anonymization, then I recommend buying a USB stick with at least 8 GB storage and installing Tails on it.

It is a version of linux that does not use persistence, built from the ground up for anonymity, and routes all of your traffic via TOR networks. You would have to manually configure your VPN every time you use it.

It boots from USB, leaves no trace on the host computer as hard disks are not accessed, and it does not use any volume persistence to operate which means it keeps no logs at all. It can't. You can manually set it up to use persistence, but only on a limited basis. You can save any work you do on it, but understand that such actions could compromise your anonymity.

Please remember that just because you are encrypting all of your digital communications, using the TOR network, remote VPNs, and non-persistent OSs, that people aren't attempting to eaves drop on your communications. I don't know what it is you're trying to obfuscate, and I don't care, but remember that 100% anonymity is impossible. There are always bread crumbs, but you can minimize them.
edit on -06:00Sun, 01 Nov 2015 09:59:13 -060020151America/Chicago2015-11-01T09:59:13-06:0030vx11 by projectvxn because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 12 2015 @ 03:27 PM
link   

try vyprVPN
I have only heard good reviews

new topics

top topics

join