It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Pat Robertson says Halloween is the day when ‘millions of children…celebrate Satan’

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:29 PM
link   
a reply to: Gryphon66

Politics will follow the trend IMO. More secular and not less.

Remember this whole idea of separation was the brainchild of Christians less than thrilled with State controlled religion.

Robertson may be of that mind, but I don't think our politicians will bite.

What I do see happening is a trend towards demonizing people of faith and a move the opposite direction in our government. We will never see a theocracy in the US IMO, but we may see a time in the future where religion is driven underground.

Who controls education for example? It's not people of faith and it's very much the opposite. Any fear of someone like Robertson is more a case of the other side trying to marginalize Christians by creating a false narrative and making Christians the Boogeymen by linking all Christians falsely to a radical few.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:58 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

... but a religious to secular movement is just not the trend we see in the wider world today.

China is the fastest growing Christian country in the world (increasing 7% per year) National Catholic Register

Russia is also returning to a wide-spread cooperation between Christians (Orthodox) and the Government which has resulted in an increase in Russians identifying as religious. (Putin is apparently strongly religious). Between 1991 and 2008, the share of Russian adults identifying as Orthodox Christian rose from 31% to 72%. Pew Research

World-wide the numbers of Christians have quadrupled in the last century, and it is the most wide-spread religion in the world. (US News and World Report.

You and I see different trends in our politicians. I've heard Mr. Trump (who I had some amount of respect for as one who speaks his mind even while I don't agree with his politics or economic hteories) start talking pretty much out of the blue about how much he loves the Bible.

I see something completely different in cultural trends. Even by the figures you stated, 70-80% of people in this country identify as Christian. I cannot see the idea that religion is going to be driven underground as anything but fear mongering. There are 350,000 Christian congregations in this country.

Who does control education? What are you talking about? Local school boards? The State of Texas curriculum committee?

The "other side" ... you mean that 2 or 3% of the population that claims to be non-religious? That is inconsitent with your former argument.

Further the idea that anything presented here by Robertson is only held by a "fringe few" is simply incorrect. There is no false narrative (notice that I've QUOTED Robertson and I have said nothing about whether a majority of Christians identify with him or not (although, he does rank in the top 10 most influential Christian leaders in a current survey as noted earlier.))

I am certainly not making Christians the bogeyman. I'm actually far more interested in what Robertson is doing than in his schtick in doing it.

I respect your opinion in the matter, but my opinion is that you are repeating the standard, garden-variety victim mystique that pervades some but not all of the Christian community.

... and I really, really don't mean that to be as off-putting as it sounds. Hope you don't take it that way.

edit on 15Sun, 01 Nov 2015 15:58:56 -060015p0320151166 by Gryphon66 because: noted

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Going to the broader world topic you may have a point. I'm talking about here in the US where it is going the other direction IMO.

The secular voice is growing louder in the US IMO and I do not think that is anything to do with a "victim mystique".
I'm not offended at all by your view, but perhaps your own bias is showing through just a bit?

You are in fact creating a Bogeyman or trying to create a Bogeyman out of Robertson. Robertson does not influence enough Christians to matter very much in the US let alone the world.

My suggestion of a time "religion" (not Christians) could be driven underground was looking decades if not a century into the future.
edit on 11/1/2015 by Blaine91555 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:20 PM
link   
a reply to: Blaine91555

I interpreted your post to mean that there is, in general, a cultural movement from the religious to the secular.

Did you notice in the Pew study you linked ... while some traditional denominations are declining (very slightly in some cases) the number of "unaffiliated" Christians grew substantially. Time will tell.

We'll have to agree to disagree on "the secular voice in America." I do see the exact opposite, and sure, we are all subject to our own confirmation biases, no matter how much we try to avoid them.

I guess you have to define what you mean by "bogeyman" then. That word to me means an imaginary or at least illusory figure held up to scare people with. Mr. Robertson is very real. He has many of the "Skull and Bones" type connections; his father was a long-term US Senator, he graduated from Yale Law School, he's had phenomenal business success and has had an incalculable effect on American politics in the last few decades ... he leads one of the more successful Christian Conservative universities (whose law school regularly beats Harvard and Yale in competitions!) in the country which has had fairly amazing placement success into business, government and entertainment. And yet, all that is coupled with this really weird almost comical public persona with some really striking oddities (supporting climate change awareness with Al Sharpton, for example.)

Who can predict what changes will come a century away? Not I.

Thanks for your thoughts, and I look forward to anything else you have to contribute.
edit on 17Sun, 01 Nov 2015 17:23:45 -060015p0520151166 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   

You're right in that I should not have used Bogeyman.

Which side of the glass we are on certainly does influence our perspective.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Well, as a Christian, I have to say, he sounds like an idiot. The actual origins of the day aren't pagan at all, and no one is unknowingly worshiping anyone. You don't worship someone without knowing about it. That's just foolishness. The day is an American mix of various traditions, none of which were pagan, and is in fact all in fun. I have studied about this for decades, off and on, heard all of the arguments, and simply do not accept them as valid. It's a fun day for kids to play make-believe and gather candy from friendly neighbors.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:31 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555
Robertson does not influence enough Christians to matter very much in the US let alone the world.

I think you underestimate his influence. I don't know exactly how many people listen or watch him and to what degree they are influenced by him but it is significant.

M. G. "Pat" Robertson has achieved national and international recognition as a religious broadcaster. He is the founder and chairman of The Christian Broadcasting Network, Inc., founder of International Family Entertainment, Inc., and several other organizations and broadcast entities. Founded in 1960, CBN was the first Christian television network established in the United States. Today CBN is one of the world's largest television ministries and produces programming seen in 90 nations and heard in 50 languages, including Russian, Arabic, Spanish, French, and Chinese.

CBN's flagship program, The 700 Club, which Robertson hosts, is one of the longest running religious television shows and reaches an average of one million American viewers daily. Robertson was the founder and co-chairman of International Family Entertainment, Inc. (IFE). Formed in 1990, IFE produced and distributed family entertainment and information programming worldwide. IFE's principal business was The Family Channel, a satellite delivered cable-television network with 63 million U.S. subscribers. IFE, a publicly held company listed on the New York Stock Exchange, was sold in 1997 to Fox Kids Worldwide, Inc. for $1.9 billion.
www.patrobertson.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

Well, as a Christian, I have to say, he sounds like an idiot. The actual origins of the day aren't pagan at all, and no one is unknowingly worshiping anyone. You don't worship someone without knowing about it. That's just foolishness. The day is an American mix of various traditions, none of which were pagan, and is in fact all in fun. I have studied about this for decades, off and on, heard all of the arguments, and simply do not accept them as valid. It's a fun day for kids to play make-believe and gather candy from friendly neighbors.

I don't disagree with you at all. I think Mr. Robertson knows all that as well. My question is, given his position, why he continues to say these things that make him sound like an idiot.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: LadyGreenEyes

I don't disagree with you at all. I think Mr. Robertson knows all that as well. My question is, given his position, why he continues to say these things that make him sound like an idiot.

Very good question! I don't disagree with everything he says, but he acts really ridiculous sometimes. Why he'd say something so easily disproven, I can't imagine.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:08 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66 My question is, given his position, why he continues to say these things that make him sound like an idiot.

Well, you're talking about him, aren't you?*

*No such thing as bad publicity when your name is your brand

No way that LadyGreenEyes's quote makes the news: "Reasonable-minded person makes uncontroversial statement: film at 11"

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:18 PM
link   
Have you ever listened to the 700 Club?.

If he said to his followers the sky is orange --- they'd see an orange sky.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs
To many of you all religions people around maybe. Or how about these satanists? Whatever that is. I assume there some sort of deviation of Christians like Catholics or Protestants are, more people with scruples in there imaginary plot stories, there version of the same week sauce. Kind of how Islam and Christianity are an offshoot of abramic religions which itself was an offshoot of cant even remember what now.

Anyways, pretty nonsensical but chances are they will cancel eachother out by wiping eachother out. Why cant you all just play rock paper scissors for who is right? Best out of 3 rounds wins, and who wins in that game can then be considered right in there version of there makebliever storylines and plot.

Take offense but both and all religion have so many plot holes that it can not be even be taken seriously as dime store novel if it were to be published today. And if it were to be published today it would be under the fantasy section, and even there It would not stand up to the scrutiny of a fantasy or fiction story reviewer.

But anyways, saying that. I am all for people worshiping whatever they want or feel like. But only as long as it does not become to big of a headache, and this just may one day lead to that, a big headache. Which is probably not good. Or maybe it will be... I dont know, I depends I suppose.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:56 PM
link   
a reply to: Annee

First of all that's not true. I wasn't aware that david Horowitz is a Christian. Second did I even post a link on this thread ? Didn't think so. I embrace all the major religions and theosophy as well and practiced yoga since 1975 so you are definitely barking up the wrong tree.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 11:31 PM
link   
Crazy no one copied and pasted and quoted something about the origin of Halloween since it's being discussed. Also others were arguing that slutty outfits haven't increased dramatically in the last decade? C'mon you know it's way more common than in past decades.

It's attire only someone of a certain body type can wear. I personally don't care but it just tells me the person does not have any creativity or imagination, they just want to look sexy, and they know they have the body to do it. People who are into creating costumes focus on a theme. Think of costume work for film and theater. There is not much thought going into dressing as a slut for Halloween. I think more females are not into it so much anymore. At one point in my life every girl dressed like a slut for Halloween, now I see girls wanting to wear full dresses in their costume or really good Halloween make-up. I think the trend is fading out...and a really well done costume is increasing (for both males and females).

However last night I was shocked a few times seeing two separate small groups of girls wearing whatever is between a bikini and lingerie, basically what strippers wear, bar hopping down the street. It was so unbelievably 18 and over viewing in public that I thought the females were making some political/freedom of speech statement. lol Probably not though...

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:08 AM
link   

originally posted by: game over man
It's attire only someone of a certain body type can wear. I personally don't care but it just tells me the person does not have any creativity or imagination, they just want to look sexy, and they know they have the body to do it. People who are into creating costumes focus on a theme. Think of costume work for film and theater. There is not much thought going into dressing as a slut for Halloween. I think more females are not into it so much anymore.

I've seen women of various body types wear stuff like that on Halloween. For some, even ones with a good body, it's not always something they flash to the world. Even people with good bodies have hangups too. Society makes sure of that. It may be the one time they can try and be something different and get away with it. One day a year where they can dress differently and not be judged for it since everyone is dressed crazy. But it seems people even want to judge them then as well. Seems as if "Judgement" never takes a day off.

You say you don't care but you obviously do. Since anyone who chooses in a way you don't agree with also makes them lack creativity or imagination. In other words there must be something wrong with them or some reason that they are less than others. Maybe they just don't have the time to create lavish costumes. Maybe in their opinion that is exactly what they wanted to look like. Who knows. I don't see the reason to shoot anyone down for it though. Why not be happy they at least decided to dress up and join in the fun??? That's what it's supposed to be about remember??? Remember that word that used to be an important one in our lives??? FUN. Or is it all just Work, Worry and Fear now???

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:46 AM
link   

He would say that. He is delusional. And full of hate for anyone who doesn't believe as he does.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:49 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

In our community people dress up as various saints or people of history(like Francis Bacon...Shakespeare) or beings of the elements. It's all in how you do it or what you represent and what your intent is.
People who use Halloween to conjure evil spirits or put curses on people know what they are doing.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:53 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

You're jumping to the wrong conclusions about my opinion of slutty outfits worn on halloween or costumes if you want to call them that. Trust me I'm not upset when I see a slutty outfit but I think it's really cool when the most beautiful girls I know wear a really cool costume.

I have noticed that girls who are very hot have been not into wearing a slutty outfit for Halloween as much as a number of years ago. I've known beautiful women all my life and they want and will look hot, gorgeous, and sexy more than just on Halloween. Maybe it's an influence from Project Runway to make something stylish on Halloween.

You can still look hot making your own costume or buying one from a Halloween store rather than a joke outfit from an Adult store. Maybe we have different definitions of a slutty costume but I'm talking about ones that are from an Adult Store and they literally look like a stripper.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:54 AM
link   

originally posted by: ThirdEyeofHorus

People who use Halloween to conjure evil spirits or put curses on people know what they are doing.

Well, if it helps any, I'd say they are also wasting their damn time. Because honestly, who does that??? What were their results???

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:58 AM
link   
a reply to: game over man

I think we are talking about two different types of costumes actually. The typical female costume is fairly revealing. But I don't see too many women wearing what you're talking about that often.

But even then. I still don't see a reason to judge people when it's still the one day of the year when you get to dress however you want. Offensive, classy, in character, like a farmer humping a sheep, a pregnant nun, etc. The sky is the limit and it's all in fun.

new topics

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join