It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can Autoflowering genetics be used to help feed the world?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:24 AM
link   
Anyone here ever seen autoflowers in action? They are pretty neat plants that grow with no real need for a light cycle. So essentially they bear fruit faster due to that genetic trait that was bred into it from ruderalis.

Suppose maybe we could take that genetic trait and apply it to endemic tree species or crop plants suited for northern areas that can take advantage of this trait.

I don't know much about plant genetics or how to isolate and use the autoflowering genes myself so if any of you know a little do you think this is possible?

en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:38 AM
link   
a reply to: stabstab

As far as I know they still need a light cycle but not as exact. Yields are smaller and life cycles just as long as a normal plant of that variety. They're a gimmick aren't they?

That wiki page reads like an advert for a seed supplier.
edit on 31-10-2015 by and14263 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:45 AM
link   
Ive always grown them on 24 hours and had great results and over the years they have indeed gotten much better in many ways. The seeds alone on the super autos are a good source of protein so they are not "gimmicky".

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Speed is a big plus. They grow fast. The kind of gardening I know about, lol, also states that the yield is less with auto flowering plants, but that may be does not apply to all species of plants.

I expect they could be helpful in some geographical locations and climates.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:12 AM
link   
Just growing a auto tomato plant called Laura.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   

They would need longer light cycles to produce good yields.
Would be more efficient growing on flower cycle only from seed.
Don't think it would work on trees. But maybe on cereal and maize type annual plants.
And Laura too.

edit on 31-10-2015 by blackcrowe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:50 PM
link   
they dont grow faster,they are just are just ready before plants that have been vegged,they just have no veg period really. They started with a strain from alaska called low rider....no doubt have some genes from ruderalis (russian ditch weed).
They wont produce as much as a plant that has been vegged for a while,but will produce the same result. There may be a use in them to get more crops in per length of time,but less end product,so you have to run bigger numbers,not always practical.Also,they dont breed true for the auto flower trait from what ive read,as they are fairly new they cant really be considered a IBL....in bred line,more a clusterf3ck of dutchified genetics started as.....yep.....a gimmick.
You can be sure if they are of any massive use,Monsanto will be all over them.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:56 AM
link   
Thanks for the imput guys and I will look at that Laura tomato plant too could be right up my alley as I like easy growing as well.

Running larger numbers combined with fusion power would be pretty doable but then there are nutrients to consider.

I get that the yields on autoflowering cannabis are not high but just the ability to autoflower at all could proved incredibly useful in the future I am guessing just for adaptability.
edit on 2-11-2015 by stabstab because: spelling

posted on Nov, 3 2015 @ 02:49 AM
link   
At a price maybe.

top topics

join