It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Head of Feminist Group Supporting Hillary Clinton Accuses Bernie Sanders of Sexism

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:10 PM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: InTheLight

That Salon article is horrible. That woman has her head up her ass.

I have come to loath Salon for it's constant pandering to the social justice warriors.

Well this award-winning media group does allow personal essays as well as critical investigative reporting, which we as readers can research further. The author's personal take on the condescending comments just show how comments such as these can spiral out of, or into, context.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: InTheLight

I have come to loath Salon for it's constant pandering to the social justice warriors.

Well this award-winning media group does allow personal essays as well as critical investigative reporting, which we as readers can research further. The author's personal take on the condescending comments just show how comments such as these can spiral out of, or into, context.

Can you show me one example of people competing for the same political position, who have ever said "my opponent is superior to me, please vote for them instead" What exactly is so offensive about "she can be my VP" is Hillary a god like figure who is above one of the highest positions in the world?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

It's called hyperbole

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: Annee
Hillary being a woman is going to be used on both sides of the aisle for both pro and con.

I think you're right. Just as Obama's race was used for pro and con. I was happy to be voting in an historical election, for the first black president. I do recognize that some people voted for him because of his race, though. And plenty will vote for Hillary because she's a woman. Likewise, they both lost votes because of their "difference".

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 04:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

originally posted by: Annee
Hillary being a woman is going to be used on both sides of the aisle for both pro and con.

I think you're right. Just as Obama's race was used for pro and con. I was happy to be voting in an historical election, for the first black president. I do recognize that some people voted for him because of his race, though. And plenty will vote for Hillary because she's a woman. Likewise, they both lost votes because of their "difference".

I agree. I was happy to vote in a historical election too. It felt good.

But, it was because of something he said, not his mixed race. He said he was methodical.

Yes, she will both get and lose votes just because of her gender. As Obama did because of race.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:28 PM
link   

There's a lot of high quality writing and reporting but they do have space for opinion pieces too like most other news organizations. I just happen to think the opinion of this particular opinion piece is horrible.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:54 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

What I love about Salon is the amount of arguing that goes on there - even Salon's biggest fans are willing to rip Salon to pieces when they screw up

Then they'll even argue about that

:-)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:02 PM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

Too true. It's great to have that.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:38 AM
link   
Oh the source is Salon . . .

I am going to have to agree with Quetzalcoatl14, I have developed a gag reflex to that place. Salon and their images on the opposite political spectrum are clear signs of the decline of society. They don't even try to engage in subtle manipulation and instead have gone full blown Marat ( I would wager most of their rants are written from a bathtub as well ).

-FBB

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   

Are you referring to Salon? Yes, Salon is a good media group. However, on the social justice front they frequently just parrot every last social justice meme. A number of even my social justice friends, including people of color, have got sick of Salon. It's over the top sometimes.

To be clear, I am a long standing ally and activist. For this reason, I'm keenly aware of some of the excesses within the SJ movement.
edit on 1-11-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   

There's a lot of high quality writing and reporting but they do have space for opinion pieces too like most other news organizations. I just happen to think the opinion of this particular opinion piece is horrible.

Yes, they do. And as a liberal, I enjoy their generally liberal slant.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

That particular opinion piece lays out the reality of what conclusions can be drawn from those types of irresponsible condescending remarks towards women striving for positions of real power and I am sure many other people are of the same opinion. I, however, agree that the candidates are looking for ways to discredit their rivals, so while that opinion may hold some truth in regards to the long-standing problems with sexism in politics, we need to read between the lines.

"Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts". E.B. White

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   

That particular opinion piece lays out the reality of what conclusions can be drawn from those types of irresponsible condescending remarks towards women striving for positions of real power and I am sure many other people are of the same opinion. I, however, agree that the candidates are looking for ways to discredit their rivals, so while that opinion may hold some truth in regards to the long-standing problems with sexism in politics, we need to read between the lines.

"Prejudice is a great time saver. You can form opinions without having to get the facts". E.B. White

And what you are discussing is my OTHER biggest problem with social justice.

Many people will abuse very real inequality concepts in the moment to manipulate others, or discredit people. And as soon as someone brings up something about racism or sexism, many people immediately shut down, nod their head, and agree via obligation, even if the specific case in question doesn't warrant it.

So, in this case, for example, the Clinton team tries to imply sexism with the Sanders team. Patriarchy and oppression of women has reality historically. However, just because that is true does not mean the Sanders team is sexist.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:07 AM
link   

And what you are discussing is my OTHER biggest problem with social justice.

Many people will abuse very real inequality concepts in the moment to manipulate others, or discredit people. And as soon as someone brings up something about racism or sexism, many people immediately shut down, nod their head, and agree via obligation, even if the specific case in question doesn't warrant it.

So, in this case, for example, the Clinton team tries to imply sexism with the Sanders team. Patriarchy and oppression of women has reality historically. However, just because that is true does not mean the Sanders team is sexist.

Perhaps, but I look to Sanders' actions in reprimanding his team, and, to me, it was not to discredit Hillary, but to lay out where Hillary's place should be in this competition. That is, if they granted her an interview for the VP position, with questions such as if she does not mind making coffee; the job clinching question.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:49 AM
link   

That particular opinion piece lays out the reality of what conclusions can be drawn from those types of irresponsible condescending remarks towards women striving for positions of real power

It was a direct insult - not a dismissive bit of condescension

It's a compliment - and an acknowledgement of the only truth that matters in this entire petty little squabble: Hillary Clinton is the one to beat

The girls need to get a grip and realize they've made it - she is more qualified than any of the GOP candidates (which, admittedly isn't saying much), she is more qualified than most - and that throwing out these childish complaints is not helping

Ms. Clinton is not helping. The statements she made that initiated this whole thing were so temptingly easy to make - and she has a quick wit - but it was so lame. She doesn't need to work that angle - and god - I really wish she wouldn't

I like some things about Hillary. I respect her for some of the things she's done as Secretary of State. I would love to see a woman become president. I would have voted for her, but I am really enjoying the choice we have right now

I want Bernie for so many reasons, but mostly because sometimes I think there are more important things than winning - and this is what he does for me - highlights those things

He just might do it - but even if he doesn't, he will at least have forced Hillary's hand more than a few times and made her earn this in a way she might not have had he not decided to run. The two of them will give us all a lot to think about I think. Finally
edit on 11/1/2015 by Spiramirabilis because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 10:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Spiramirabilis

She has every right and obligation to respond to those questionable political tactics that may or may not be aimed at bringing her down a notch (in some people's minds where she should be), as are other candidates. May the best person win.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:10 PM
link   

So when Hillary in 2008 said that Barack Obama would make a fine VP and she would consider asking him, was she be condescending to black people?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Hillary would be a terrible VP, all the TPTB need to do is create a reasonable death for Bernie and they've got their stooge in office as desired.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:09 PM
link   

So when Hillary in 2008 said that Barack Obama would make a fine VP and she would consider asking him, was she be condescending to black people?

One would have to ask her that question to find out the answer.

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join