It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Romanian nightclub fire leaves 27 dead, scores injured

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:29 PM
link   

(CNN)Hundreds of young people were packed into a music club in central Bucharest, Romania...But suddenly the 300 or 400 people were scrambling toward the one exit at Colectiv, a club built inside a Communist-era factory.

One exit! Not surprising that a communist-era factory had a single exit. Astounding.

Witnesses say pyrotechnics sparked a fire that quickly became a widespread blaze with dark, blinding smoke. Authorities say the cause is something that needs to be figured out...At least 27 people died and 162 were injured

The fire appears to be the deadliest nightclub blaze since a 2013 fire at a nightclub in Santa Maria, Brazil, killed 235 people.

I'm wondering if Romania still adheres to communist-era fire and code standards? Philosophies and attitudes take years to change and progress, but I think by now things would have improved. One exit. Imagine a stampede of 400 people to one door. Very sad.
Romanian Fire

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:19 PM
link   
a reply to: Cosmic911

Don't tell me Great White was play'n?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:15 AM
link   

originally posted by: randyvs

Dude, I was thinking the same thing.....

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: Cosmic911

Plus 3 and all that, but there also was the NYC nightclub fire that killed hundreds in the early '80's. I remember that, somehow, from when it happened and it was later fictionalized in Law & Order. One exit that was the source of the fire. Unfortunate.

When the Runnin' Rebels won the NCAA championship here in Las Vegas, lo these many years ago, it was bedlam in the city. I ended up at The Sport's Pub, I believe it was called, across the street from UNLV. That pub only had one way in and out and even then, as much of a fool as I was at that age, I realized it was a death trap.

I did get to dance with Tanya Hoyle, a cheerleader from high school, so I didn't care. I still have no idea how THAT happened. I went in there knowing the situation.

So, to address the OP specifically, we here in the U.S. aren't immune to the same stupidity.
edit on 10/31/2015 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

edit on 10/31/2015 by TheSpanishArcher because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 12:52 AM
link   
a reply to: TheSpanishArcher

We certainly Are Not immune to stupidity, especially when it involves fire! Something about fires make us crazy, chainsaws have the same effect. Firearms too. And lastly, booze! Combine them, and you have one helluva party. But I digress...

I worked as a flight paramedic/nurse on a medevac helicopter here in NY. Our flight suit were nomex (92%), which meant they were high heat resistant and flame retardant. However, our company name was printed on the backs of our suits in LARGE print. It was completely moronic. We used to joke that if we ever caught fire we'd have MERCY FLIGHT CENTRAL tattooed on our backs, should be survive the fire. So stupid. The stitching, which was cotton, destroys the integrity of the nomex, and will catch fire after 2 seconds and continue to burn for 13 to 430 seconds after the fire source is removed. Management for ya!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:08 AM
link   
I just saw now that they had no permit for the pyrotechnics that they used which started the fire.

edit on 31-10-2015 by saudi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:17 AM
link   

originally posted by: saudi
I just saw now that they had no permit for the pyrotechnics that they used which started the fire.

Seriously? What the hell is wrong with people? How would a person feel comfortable enough while working with pyrotechnics if not appropriately licensed or permitted? Astounding.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:24 AM
link   
Don't try and judge Romanian people or culture by western standards. Whilst they are part of the EU now, their mindset is very much still "soviet".

I have a number of friends in Bucharest, and I have visited them on a number of occasions (had a quick ring-around to make sure none of them were caught up in this, they are all okay). One of the things I noticed is how progressive they are and how rapidly their city is changing and modernising, and a lot of this is because they just laugh at or outright ignore bureaucracy and rules.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:17 PM
link   
Condolences to those lost.

originally posted by: Cosmic911

Yeah, guessing the band who was playing Goodbye to Gravity, will be sued as Great White was at the very least.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   
a reply to: BMorris

Well laughing at and outright ignoring rules and bureaucracy has led to tens of people injured and killed. Real progressive.

top topics

join