It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 6 Reasons China and Russia Are Catching Up to the U.S. Military

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:15 PM
link   
Why the Gap In Military Superiority Is Closing?

China and Russia are still behind the U.S. militarily. But they are both showing surprising breakthroughs that – sometime down the road in the future – could threaten U.S. hegemony.
Without a doubt, China has outright stolen U.S. military secrets and replicated them unabashed.

Defense Secretary Ashton Carter on Wednesday warned Russia and China are quickly closing the military technology gap with the U.S. as inconsistent military budgets and slower innovation threaten America’s lead in the military world.

SECDEF goes on to say...

“It’s evident that nations like Russia and China have been pursuing military modernization programs to close the technology gap with the United States,” he continued. “They’re developing platforms designed to thwart our traditional advantages of power projection and freedom of movement. They’re developing and fielding new and advanced aircraft and ballistic, cruise, anti-ship and anti-air missiles that are longer-range and more accurate.”

How could this be happening, when U.S. military spending dwarfs that from the rest of the world?
Here's How: 6 Reasons

Being a patriot and veteran, I found this article on-target! It's succinct and concise. I especially liked this part as a tax-payer! (insert sarcasm)

$8.5 trillion dollars in taxpayer money doled out by Congress to the Pentagon since 1996 … has never been accounted for.

When is enough ENOUGH! A great example of this is the F35 JSF program, among other reasons. The F35 is a paradigm of larger issues in both the American government and military, including the civilian defense sector. We have Exactly what President Eisenhower was trying to warn the American public in regards to 'sought or unsought warranted influence,' between the military and industry. Was anyone listening???

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:19 PM
link   
Every time i bring something like this up anywhere i get bashed over the head by none realistic overly patriotic american's. When in fact it is an actual thing that is actually going to happen. And in all honesty it wouldn't surprise me if some of china and Russias technology in certain fields is already more advanced then that of the united states.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Cosmic911

Probably sounds silly but I am of the opinion the US has very high tech military weaponry hidden away, unknown to other nations. It wouldn't surprise me if an arsenal of mech warriors and soldiers in Iron Man-like suits were employed if we were to be invaded.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Probably sounds silly but I am of the opinion the US has very high tech military weaponry hidden away, unknown to other nations. It wouldn't surprise me if an arsenal of mech warriors and soldiers in Iron Man-like suits were employed if we were to be invaded.

With a 'black budget' that exceeds most other countries entire federal budget we ought to have somethings like weaponized iron man suits! Problem is we're so impotent and paradoxically inefficient from all the BS on capitol hill.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
I read through some chunks of the nand report. It seems we're still far superior overall, and I'd not expect anything other than a lessening in gap given the economic growth of the country in the last two decades.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:43 PM
link   
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I think that's logical. We only hear of the unclassified DARPA projects.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: Lucid Lunacy

Couldn't the same be said for china, Or Russia even? We don't know half of what goes on in these countries.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:48 PM
link   

originally posted by: Tjoran
Every time i bring something like this up anywhere i get bashed over the head by none realistic overly patriotic american's. When in fact it is an actual thing that is actually going to happen. And in all honesty it wouldn't surprise me if some of china and Russias technology in certain fields is already more advanced then that of the united states.

I consider myself an 'overly patriotic' American too, but not afraid to say that our elected government has trampled over our constitutional rights for decades now. Republican, Democrat, it doesn't matter who's the POTUS anymore, they jump in line in the machine like every other politician. Unfortunately, the government machine is too out of control for anyone to reign in. The last fifty years has become so out of control there's no end in sight.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:50 PM
link   

I really doubt that there is any gap with Russia,I don't know about China but Russia has always had more military spending than we do and more advanced Nuclear Bombs(look up Tsar Bomb).China we have been paying for years and actually owe them quite a lot of money I wouldn't be surprised if they have more advanced military tech,I know small arms wise they have better weapons for their infantry,they even field handguns in 5.8 with armor piercing ammo as a standard load out,the Russians also use armor piercing ammo in their handguns and smg's as standard ammo,the Russians use 9mm 7N29/SP-10 wich is 9x21mm so it won't chamber in enemies weapons that are in regular 9mm(9x19mm). I think if we go to war with China and Russia that most people would be surprised what tech the they have,don't forget they have Black Projects just like us,but it is a lot harder to get any information on what they currently use most information about their equipment is outdated info,their pistol ammo SP-10 is from 1990 so I wouldn't be suprised if they already have replaced it with a better armor piercing round with more power.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:52 PM
link   

originally posted by: pl3bscheese
a reply to: Lucid Lunacy

I think that's logical. We only hear of the unclassified DARPA projects.

Maybe because Russian and China are better at hiding their Black Projects from us.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The Avis car rental company used to advertise themselves with the slogan "We're no.2; we try harder".
Perhaps that could be a factor.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:56 PM
link   
a reply to: VashTheStampede

Maybe what? Your sentence doesn't jive with mine. 8.5T unaccounted for. Seems hidden to me. How much more in illegal sales of arms and drugs not on the books used for programs?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
Yeah, it's not actual military dollars that make up the military. It's how we spend that money that matters. Do we need 700 military bases around the world and all the upkeep costs associate or do we spend money on things that matter. I'll take things that matter.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:13 PM
link   
I consider a lot of the Russian military tech far more advanced and robust than the North American Tech, the problem I see with the states is they over pay for things.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:15 PM
link   

Maybe what? Your sentence doesn't jive with mine. 8.5T unaccounted for. Seems hidden to me. How much more in illegal sales of arms and drugs not on the books used for programs?

The Phantom funds has been updated. It's calculated at about a trillion a year since '96. Do the math, it's not pretty.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:22 PM
link   

originally posted by: trifecta

The Phantom funds has been updated. It's calculated at about a trillion a year since '96. Do the math, it's not pretty.

It is never a smart idea to assume the enemy is not as well equipped,doesn't matter how much money is spent if it isn't spent wisely.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

I really doubt that there is any gap with Russia,I don't know about China but Russia has always had more military spending than we do and more advanced Nuclear Bombs(look up Tsar Bomb).China we have been paying for years and actually owe them quite a lot of money I wouldn't be surprised if they have more advanced military tech,I know small arms wise they have better weapons for their infantry,they even field handguns in 5.8 with armor piercing ammo as a standard load out,the Russians also use armor piercing ammo in their handguns and smg's as standard ammo,the Russians use 9mm 7N29/SP-10 wich is 9x21mm so it won't chamber in enemies weapons that are in regular 9mm(9x19mm). I think if we go to war with China and Russia that most people would be surprised what tech the they have,don't forget they have Black Projects just like us,but it is a lot harder to get any information on what they currently use most information about their equipment is outdated info,their pistol ammo SP-10 is from 1990 so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have replaced it with a better armor piercing round with more power.

Thanks for the well-researched post. Of course you're right about our financial chains to China. Interesting that we are in financial debt to a sworn enemy. It makes no sense. lol. Doesn't anyone question these facts? I think it's funny that China arms it's soldiers better than U.S. troops, while paying them 1/8th of what we pay our soldiers, in essence they can have 8 troops to our 1. Cool tid bit about Russian 9mm. I have several 9mm handguns so I found this intriguing.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:01 PM
link   
I wouldn't worry about Russia to much. They have way to many money problems.

www.businessinsider.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: VashTheStampede

I really doubt that there is any gap with Russia,I don't know about China but Russia has always had more military spending than we do and more advanced Nuclear Bombs(look up Tsar Bomb).China we have been paying for years and actually owe them quite a lot of money I wouldn't be surprised if they have more advanced military tech,I know small arms wise they have better weapons for their infantry,they even field handguns in 5.8 with armor piercing ammo as a standard load out,the Russians also use armor piercing ammo in their handguns and smg's as standard ammo,the Russians use 9mm 7N29/SP-10 wich is 9x21mm so it won't chamber in enemies weapons that are in regular 9mm(9x19mm). I think if we go to war with China and Russia that most people would be surprised what tech the they have,don't forget they have Black Projects just like us,but it is a lot harder to get any information on what they currently use most information about their equipment is outdated info,their pistol ammo SP-10 is from 1990 so I wouldn't be surprised if they already have replaced it with a better armor piercing round with more power.

While I agree that a significant gap in technology between the U.S. and Russia doesn't exist, a significant gap in military conditions between the two nation's does exist. Deplorable day to day conditions of the former Soviet Union lead to several mishaps and accidents. Russian soldiers are nearly twice as likely to die from accidents, suicides, and homicides than American soldiers are. Hazing is a huge problem in Russia's army, as is criminal activity, alcohol and drug abuse. Morale is severely hindered as there are significant leadership failures. Russia has failed to develop a strong NCO profession. Morale among 'conscript,' or contract soldiers, who get paid better than regular soldiers, even suffers. Operationally, the Russian army suffered from a lack of enlisted troops; whereas an overage of officers existed, all after the breakup of the Soviet Union. And if the Russians aren't careful they'll bankrupt themselves building the biggest of everything, similar to what they did during the Cold War. Their pride and egos really do get the best of them at times. But, after all that, we still need their engines to get us to the ISS.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:31 PM
link   

Great article. Thank you for sharing. It's unbelievable how long these problems have existed, and no one has done anything.

My thoughts:

1. Congress does (and should) have the power to approve military spending. They can't be trusted to cancel any projects, though, because there are so many defense jobs in so many congressional districts. We should allow the Secretary of Defense to cancel any project he sees fit with the advice and recommendations of the Joint Chiefs.

2. All inventory and accounting software and practices must be updated. I know there are multiple inventory programs being used that aren't compatible with one another. The military must be able to know exactly what equipment it has and exactly where it is. This would greatly improve their accounting and their deployment capabilities. I know it will cost a lot to upgrade the systems, but it will save a lot more in the long run.

3. Stop the NSA from spying on citizens, and instead have them catch spies. I don't think this needs an explanation.

4. Get rid of all no-bid contracts. Also, all contracts should have strict guidelines for time, quality, etc. with stiff penalties for not meeting those guidelines.

5. Energy dependency is a national security issue. We need to build a sustainable energy infrastructure. This will probably be a mix of solar, wind, tidal, geothermal, and nuclear. We need practical vehicle technology that greatly reduces or eliminates the need for fossil fuels. I know people are already working on this stuff, but we need a more coordinated effort. I'd love to see some next-gen thorium reactors built. We can produce all our oil and electricity from domestic sources, we greatly expand our options in places like the Middle East.

Some of this stuff we can do now; some of it will take a while. The loner we wait, the longer it will take.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join