It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Three GOP Candidates Speaking At Hate Monger's Bigotry Fest

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+18 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:24 PM
link   
Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, and Mike Huckabee are scheduled to speak at Kevin Swanson's Freedom 2015 National Religious Liberties Conference next week. I'd read a few months ago that Ben Carson was supposed to speak there too but his name isn't listed under speakers in this announcement.

Sounds innocuous enough, wonder what it's all about? Well take a look at the conference's website and your first impression might be "freedom." After all, the logo says it all in big letters and even features the torch bearing arm of the Statue of Liberty in place of the 1 in 2015. How much more freedom loving awesomeness could a person ask for? However, the pretense of freedom quickly evaporates after a short scroll down — after the event's date and location information, the first words you'll see are this bit of extremist rhetoric:

The tide is turning.

Persecution against Christians is on the rise in Iran, Iraq, Pakistan, Sudan, China, Oregon, and Kentucky.

Scroll down a little more and you'll find a short list of the top questions every wingnut fundie should be asking himself:

These are serious questions...
are you ready for this?

Are you ready. . . to be arrested?

Are you ready. . . to lose your children to the state?

Is your pastor ready to go to jail for refusing to officiate a same sex marriage?

Will your church be shut down?

Will Christians be forced to break the law?

That's right folks. It's time to be alarmed! Persecution is on the rise! Kentucky is the new Sudan! The state is closing churches, arresting Christians and taking their children! Who is behind this persecution you may ask? Well it's the homosexual agenda of course!

The Supreme Court of the United States recently legalized homosexual marriage in all 50 states in the Obergefell V. Hodges decision. Are you ready to face persecution for opposing the homosexual agenda?

Yikes.

None of this should be surprising considering that the conference's organizer, Ken Swanson, is a hate mongering bigot — a fact no rational person could possibly hope to deny. Even if you're fortunate enough to not know this man's name, you'll likely have heard some of his insane homophobic rantings in the past. Ashley Feinberg's Gawker post, Three GOP Candidates Join Pastor Who Thinks Frozen Turns Kids Gay, has links to several examples of Ken Swanson's nuttery, including these linked from Right Wing Watch:

All three candidates are scheduled to speak at the two-day conference that’s being organized by ultra-conservative radio pastor Kevin Swanson. Right Wing Watch has put together a fairly comprehensive list of the man’s objectively insane ideas, some of which include:

- Girl Scout cookies turn girls into lesbians.
- The Rose Bowl needs a float where a gay person gets stoned to death.
- Natural disasters in Colorado were probably caused by women in pants.
- In women who take birth control pills, “there are these little tiny fetuses—these little babies—embedded into the womb. They’re just, like, dead babies!”
- The movie Frozen wants to turn your five-year-old into a lesbian.
- And last but not least—homosexuals deserve the death penalty.

Maybe you're thinking those are just clickbait titles based on misinterpretation and out of context quotes?

Here's an example of the kind of things that come out of this douche bag's mouth. Expressing his disapproval of the Rose Bowl parade's inclusion of a float featuring a same sex wedding last January on his Generations Radio podcast with fellow lunatic, David Buehner:

Buehner: This is an AIDS group? This is a group that’s against AIDS? They’re not trying to spread AIDS right? I mean, if you are trying to spread AIDS you would have pro-homosexual propaganda but if you’re trying to stop it….

Swanson: They may be serving lemonade too as part of the event, I hope not but maybe.

Buehner: I wonder what the Rose Bowl parade would do if we had the stoning of a homosexual along the parade just as an expression of free speech and all that.

Swanson: I think that would be rejected by the Rose Bowl parade committee.

Buehner: Well what if the stones were just made like of flowers and flower pedals?

and

They are coming after Christians and if there is 45% of Christians in America or 45% of Americans who disagree with homosexuality or homosexual marriage, they will lose their jobs. That’s the goal, to make sure they lose their jobs, to make sure that they are persecuted, to make sure that they may even be burned at the stake. I don’t know what the whole agenda is but it seems to me that this may be a battle between good and evil and evil will not tolerate good.

The conference is a veritable Who's Who of radical fundie hate speech including nutjobs who want America to become a Christian theocracy like Phil Kayser and Joel McDurmon. Phil Kayser was in the news during the 2012 campaign after pledging support for Ron Paul, an endorsement that was briefly touted by the Ron Paul campaign:

But Kayser's views on homosexuality go way beyond the bounds of typical anti-gay evangelical politics and into the violent fringe: he recently authored a paper arguing for criminalizing homosexuality and even advocated imposing the death penalty against offenders based on his reading of Biblical law.

"Difficulty in implementing Biblical law does not make non-Biblical penology just," he argued. "But as we have seen, while many homosexuals would be executed, the threat of capital punishment can be restorative. Biblical law would recognize as a matter of justice that even if this law could be enforced today, homosexuals could not be prosecuted for something that was done before."

Reached by phone, Kayser confirmed to TPM that he believed in reinstating Biblical punishments for homosexuals -- including the death penalty -- even if he didn't see much hope for it happening anytime soon. While he said he and Paul disagree on gay rights, noting that Paul recently voted for repealing Don't Ask Don't Tell, he supported the campaign because he believed Paul's federalist take on the Constitution would allow states more latitude to implement fundamentalist law. Especially since under Kayser's own interpretation of the Constitution there is no separation of Church and State.

edit on 2015-10-30 by theantediluvian because: (no reason given)

+13 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:47 PM
link   
Crying persecution then calling for stoning...

You know ante, I don't mind saying, on an American website and all, that if it wasn't for people like yourself who remain sane in these tough times, I'd absolutely detest the U.S.

That may not be popular, and may even be removed as borderline "hate speech", it may even be frowned upon by the Statesmen and Women I've come to Love since joining this site...

But God damn I must be 100% honest on these boards and the absolute nut cases are really starting to make me sick.
These stories just pile up by the day.

/rant

More on topic, who the hell do these people think they are?

Don't whine at me about Freedom of Speech, & how important it is that we have Hate Speech...
Because that's a Rights To Ought Fallacy all the way.
Rights To Ought... Look it up, some of you here are big fans of using that Fallacy in discourse.

Calling for the death penalty?
You know, I wouldn't lose sleep if these people were put to bed themselves as a premeditated self defensive precaution...
Absolute brainwashing dross.

"Girl Scout cookies turn people into lesbians"...
Jesus wept ignorance knows no bounds.

Sorry, antediluvian, for my almost unnecessary rambling, the tipping point has gone over board.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:49 PM
link   
a reply to: theantediluvian

Wow, at first I thought it was a typical partisan bash the republicans thread.

Those people are the epitome of the phrase " bat# crazy".

Wow

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:51 PM
link   
In spite of all this madness, maybe we really do need a war on Christains.

Or at least we should all come together to send them a large load of Jumbo sized Ring-Pops and the premium sized Kleenexes for all them to suck on while they wipe away their tears from the sheer amount of crying and whining they do.

The Bible is fun, I really like the part where God summons a lion (out of thin air), and had a man viciously killed because he questioned him, the story of the man who let his entire family die because it was "Gods will," and my favorite part - the part where it tells you about whipping your slaves and how to determine if they lived or not!

But I forgot that it's in the old part of the book, not the new part, when God had to correct his words.

The logic is like dividing by zero.

"God is infallible," A
"How do you know?"
"The Bible tells me,"
"How do you know it's true?"
"It's Gods word?" B
"How do you know it's Gods word?"
"Because it says so in the Bible!" C

Circular reasoning, no demonstration needed.

You see, if Iraq, or Afghanistan, Libya, Yemen, or any other country the U.S. and it's western-backed allies have invaded were a primarily was a "Christain nation," I could see their arguement.

However, none such conflict exists.

The only ones that exists is a group of people claiming to be victimized for their religion in a nation founded mostly by Diests... so yes, Kleenexes, anyone?

+4 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:52 PM
link   

Gah!

If they discriminate against me, they call it "religious freedom". If I criticize them in return, they call it "persecution".

How are they actually selling tickets to this?! Do enough people buy this hypocrisy to actually hold events like this? We are truly witnessing the coffin nails of the strange and cruel marriage between political conservatism and fundamental Christianity. It is not possible for them to gain the dominionist dystopia they dream of anymore and it makes them desperate.

If the right wing doesn't divorce itself from these sorts, the Republican party will completely disintegrate.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:04 PM
link   

Well I certainly hope no one shows their liberal bias by asking the Candidates about the answers they give. That wouldn't be fair.

Oh boy...

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:09 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

You know ante, I don't mind saying, on an American website and all, that if it wasn't for people like yourself who remain sane in these tough times, I'd absolutely detest the U.S.

I live here and I don't mind saying I feel the same way. There ARE a lot of disgusting people here, and you can bet these people will be in here to defend this crap

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

I live here and I don't mind saying I feel the same way. There ARE a lot of disgusting people here, and you can bet these people will be in here to defend this crap

Sorry, mymymy, I hate broad brushing and I know 99% of you are fine folk indeed...
I learn from you every day...
My tolerance has grown because of you guys...

It's just lately when I think of/hear the words America or U.S the first thing that comes to mind is "backwards"...
Because of people like this OP has highlighted...

I shouldn't think like that, and I'm working on re-routing my brain to the great people here who teach me everyday...

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   

Their web page indicates they invited a number of POTUS candidates, including Ben Carson, Trump, and even Hillary Clinton. Swanson isn't listed an an organizer, but is one of 7 keynote speakers for the conference.

*shrugs*

Obama's pastor was a lunatic... not really seeing much difference between that silly outrage and whatever equally silly outrage this will generate among the more excitable.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:26 PM
link   
Not too long a go it was Illegal to be GLBTQ+, it was Illegal to have Interracial Marriage.. Woman's rights are still being Decided by Men.. we might have Marriage Equality but in 31 States we can still get fired,Denied Jobs, Housing, Property and Services.

GLBTQ+ people get Murdered and attacked Daily, GLBTQ+ are among the top percentage of Homeless youth

Our Gay Agenda is truly winning... ... ...

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

Absolutely sickening!

The way that Republicans want to legislate from the pulpit is something every freedom loving American should be extremely wary of.

But whatever you do, don't question any of them during a presidential debate regarding their attendance at these type of functions because they'll just refuse to show up.

Damn gotcha questions.

It's getting harder and harder to even look at some of these guys with anything other than complete and total disgust, much less to imagine one of them as POTUS.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

I understand why Christians might feel this way. I used to be a huge Christian basher...especially in college. I couldn't stand the CCC or Campus Crusade for Christ a-holes. However, that was nearly 30 years ago and things have changed. Threads like these are proliferating ATS and I have seen a huge change in the overall number of attacks on Christians.

My old self would never believe I would have ended up being a Christian defender, but people like you and others are constantly belittling and attacking them. They are entitled to their beliefs and frankly, only the one that feels persecuted really knows how it is to be them.

Hopefully you never end up being in a class of folks that is persecuted. Now that the gays are accepted in the mainstream the Christians are the new group that is subject to ridicule and hate speech.

Anyway, they have a right to feel how they feel. You are the proof.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:28 PM
link   

originally posted by: burdman30ott6

Their web page indicates they invited a number of POTUS candidates, including Ben Carson, Trump, and even Hillary Clinton. Swanson isn't listed an an organizer, but is one of 7 keynote speakers for the conference.

*shrugs*

Obama's pastor was a lunatic... not really seeing much difference between that silly outrage and whatever equally silly outrage this will generate among the more excitable.

Ya that pastor was a hoot in the videos I saw of him.

Not as good as Obama's sign language guy.....that guy was crazy.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Ted Cruz, Bobby Jindal, and Mike Huckabee will fit perfectly with this crowd…all of them our Christian fundamentalist of the worst kind…Christian Zionists. As well Cruz is an obnoxious demagogue, Jindal is the pits, and Huckabee may as well move to Israel.

These guys are the kind that we should all everyday thank God for the tradition of secular humanism in America. That makes it almost impossible for there to be a Christian Taliban or Christian ISIS in America.

It would be led by men like this group’s leader and supported by right-wing religious fundamentalists politicians like these guys.

People like this secretly envy the Taliban and ISIS and wish the US could have similar successful groups

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Speaking mainly for myself, but in defence of others too, not a single fibre of my being hates these people for their freedoms and especially not their faith...

As a matter of fact it's because they're so un-Christ like that my disdain for them grows...

And on the contrary, they're the reason they feel persecuted, not people like ante.

Exposing hate speech is not persecution...

& being persecuted for being hatemongers is their own doing.

Respectfully agreeing to disagree, buddy.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:35 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

I personally feel like these extreme examples which borderline on the ridiculous (i.e. gay marriage will destroy the institution of marriage for Christians or Obama is a Muslim) are philosophical false flags to distract from the very real examples of traditional Christianity being targeted and attacked. A Christian business owner *should* have the right to refuse service to anyone just as any business owner should have that right. A Christian *should* be allowed to wear a cross necklace whenever and wherever they wish to do so. A Christian *should* have the right to not see their earned money funneled into programs that support actions they see as sinful, such as abortion, birth control, and the like. These issues, when discussed by the media, are always focused on the extremists and the radicals rather than those who are sincerely just trying to ensure their consciences are clean and their Faiths personally upheld.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:40 PM
link   

No need to apologize Charlie, even though you're not American (Gasp!), and follow the Muslim faith (shock and horror), I enjoy reading your posts and you are a much bigger voice of reason than 99% of the people on here or probably that I've ever met.

I wish people would stop towing the party line and call this stuff out

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:44 PM
link   
There are Christians like these guys and then there are Christians who are amongst the finest human beings on the planet.

These guys, the topic of this OP, I would call “Christians” in quotes.

Btw, just to get off the topic a small but

There is a guy on this ATS forum who almost single handedly has illustrated to many that there are fine and upstanding Muslims in the world as contrast to such barbaric and evil savages in groups like ISIS

That is our good friend

Charlie Speirs!

I’m sure many agree with me

edit on 30-10-2015 by Willtell because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   
a reply to: burdman30ott6

Swanson isn't listed an an organizer, but is one of 7 keynote speakers for the conference.

Swanson is definitely the organizer.

Samaritan Ministries - Freedom 2015 National Religious Liberties Conference:

Samaritan Ministries member Kevin Swanson, of Generations with Vision, is organizing Freedom 2015, a conference addressing religious liberty issues—“the need of the hour”—on November 6-7 in Iowa, a state considered “ground zero” for the 2016 presidential election.

The Constitution’s guarantee of religious freedom is already under assault, as Christian photographers and wedding cake designers face legal action for declining to provide services for same-sex “weddings,” ceremonies that are in opposition to their religious beliefs. With the U.S. Supreme Court’s decision attempting to redefine marriage, Kevin believes that persecution could potentially also reach Christian schools, ministries, families—and health care ministries.

He's listed as the contact onthis announcement from Christian Newswire. His Generations with Visions organization/network/ministry/whatever is also the first listed sponsor and of course as you mentioned, he's a key note speaker along with Ted Cruz's dad.

Their web page indicates they invited a number of POTUS candidates, including Ben Carson, Trump, and even Hillary Clinton.

None of those people accepted the invitation, not even Ben "Gay is a choice — just look at prison!" Carson. Cruz, Huckabee and Jindal did accept invitations and are speaking at the event.

That's cool, is Obama running in this election and is he giving a speech at the convention that the retired Rev. Wright isn't hosting next week?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:53 PM
link   

<<   2  3 >>

join