It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

Watch a Tu-160 Launch a Kh-555/AS-15 Kent

page: 1

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:17 PM

Nicked from The Aviationist again.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:20 PM
a reply to: anzha

You has mail.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:16 PM
a reply to: Zaphod58

Jeezum crow, those engines spit out a lot of nitrogen compounds. That's the most orange I've seen behind an airplane in a long time. Must be some high temperatures in those engines, even for a gas turbine.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:50 AM
a reply to: Darkpr0

A couple vids I watched of Tu-160s taking off showed the engine exhausts glowing blue instead of orange/yellow on takeoff.

That might have something to do with it.

Given that the Blackjack is just about the closest thing we ever got to an operational B-70 in terms of size/speed/takeoff weight, and it does it with only 4 engines, I'd imagine that those are probably some pretty unusual engines...

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:43 PM
Here's a vid of one taking off at MAKS, notice the size difference between the Blackjack and the Backfire that takes off ahead of it, and remember that the Backfire is already about as big as a 727...

The Backfire footage starts at 4:00

What immediately jumps out at me is the friggin sound it makes. Even at full dry thrust, the Blackjack makes that same "sky ripping" sound that you always heard the SSMEs making in shuttle launch videos. Also notice that the afterburners of both craft burn blue to damned near white, and especially the IMMEDIATE nitrous coloration and thermal distortion that you see when the -160 flips them on.

Thats a damned impressive bird, no matter how you cut it.
edit on 31-10-2015 by Barnalby because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:06 PM
Well how about that? I never knew the Volkswagen tuners talked to the Backfire design team.