It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

python?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:10 PM
link   
anyone know how to program/code python?

i have been thinking about trying to learn to code in python.
i have been reading about the different languages and i keep seeing python as one of the easiest and still versatile languages to learn.
i have zero programming skills and i am 99% sure i will never use what i learn for anything.

winter is coming so there will be a lot of inside time for the next few months so i figure why not try to learn it.

to those that know this language, was it hard to learn? what kinds of things have you done with it?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:36 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

python is really easy to learn, but i would strongly suggest start with java or or vb if you never programmed before.

python is a very deep language, though not too hard.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Na, Python is a great beginner language (the BEST imoao); later on, if you really start to get into programming and hacking - (really, when you begin to sink your teeth into C & Perl), you'll have a nice grasp of how things work, cultivated good programming habits, and have a familiarity with certain fundamentals that span over almost all the languages, 'high' or 'low,' as they are called.

www.fromdev.com...

Sadly, one of my favorite links therein (the 'for n00bz') has been reported as an attack-site...it was where I got my feet wet many years ago and fell in love with python; afterwards moving into lower languages and doing all sorts of cool stuff.

BTW, linux Bash CLI is a great scripting tool - HIGHLY recommended; because when you know linux, the world is in your hands hehe...
edit on 30-10-2015 by kissy princess because: had to go ass2ass with another chick

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:05 PM
link   

If you look about the internets you can find VB6 for...ahem, free!
Now why would I suggest something thats considered outdated?
1. Its very easy to learn. It free's you up by doing the boring stuff for you leaving you to concentrate on the interesting stuff.
2. Its very powerful, there's not much you cant do with it, and imo thats why MS killed it off, coz they wanted to sell there new stuff!
3. You can do pretty much anything in vb6, but some of it not easily, therefore forcing you to learn.

However, if you intend developing something you intend to sell then dont use vb.

I think Java would be the way to go, but vb will give you a good start.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   

For a good source of free books for learning python, feel free to check out the following page...

Free Python Books

Py

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   
thanks kissy and pyguy.
both awesome links.
checking out a byte of python now.

you know a good editor?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   

I'm a web developer. My coding knowledge has not gone beyond Javascript.

However I plan on beginning a programming language soon. After much research and discussion with other programmers, I have decided upon Python.

what kinds of things have you done with it?

Because of my background I will likely use it with server side web development.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:41 PM
link   

you know a good editor?

I plan on using PyCharm IDE from JetBrains.

*Edit: Love Orphan Black.
edit on 30-10-2015 by Lucid Lunacy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
a reply to: pyguy

GREAT resources, my man! Especially, www.alan-g.me.uk...
Wish I woulda had that back when.
All the best to you...all, and Happy Halloween!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:01 AM
link   

originally posted by: VoidHawk

If you look about the internets you can find VB6 for...ahem, free!
Now why would I suggest something thats considered outdated?
1. Its very easy to learn. It free's you up by doing the boring stuff for you leaving you to concentrate on the interesting stuff.
2. Its very powerful, there's not much you cant do with it, and imo thats why MS killed it off, coz they wanted to sell there new stuff!
3. You can do pretty much anything in vb6, but some of it not easily, therefore forcing you to learn.

However, if you intend developing something you intend to sell then dont use vb.

I think Java would be the way to go, but vb will give you a good start.

You can get fully blown vb.net for free too, and I don't mean sneakily. Hit up the M$ website and download. and while a few years ago I'd have agreed with you on vb6 - it took me ages to get installed on windows 10 recently. It was then, I realised, I had spent too long in .net and couldn't work with vb6 properly. Didn't even see that happen haha.

vb.net would be where I'd start. From there, I'd look at c#.. but if you are not dependant on the OS, then c++ would be the path to go. Just no writing hacks for call of duty, haha..

Oddly I've never used python, never saw the point of learning a new language when you can even turn batch files onto executables these days, or if it's efficient and productive code, heck, even autohotkey has enough grunt in it, to perform mundane tasks on your pc. and can be converted to executables, as well as having a pretty easy to use gui designer.

it's funny how times have changed. scripting languages are now so efficient no one argues their slowness over compiled code.. I remember when basic was mocked for being too slow. that just made you code more efficiently.
edit on 31-10-2015 by laminatedsoul because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 01:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: TinySickTears
thanks kissy and pyguy.
both awesome links.
checking out a byte of python now.

you know a good editor?

notepad++ is my go to editor for everything. syntax highlighting, auto indentation, etc.. idk, I just like it

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:14 AM
link   
a reply to: laminatedsoul

I seond notepad++. It can be used for multiple languages. If you learn to use it with python, then learning other languages will be even easier. I used notepad++ when I wanted to learn python.

Of course, I didn't learn much of python, but it was my own fault. Is self-induced ADD a thing?

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:09 AM
link   
Before picking a language some basic computer tech to know different data types, boolean logic, testing methodologies may help as wondering why you can't multiply a string of numbers may be confusing.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:19 AM
link   
I'd strongly suggest something like Java or C# rather than Python. Much friendlier to people just starting to learn, and it's way easier to find tutorials, example code and answers to problems you run into.

The python libraries are pretty unstable and the APIs seem to change depending on the weather (to the point where people that have written python scripts or more serious python apps try to avoid upgrading to a new version of Python because they know all their code is going to break).

You could also consider golang (developed by Google). I was considering learning it myself because a growing number of devops tools are being written in go.. must be a very good reason for that.

new topics

top topics

join