It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Social Justice Warrior Contacts The Employer Of Her Youtube Foe To Get Him Fired. It Backfires!

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Like I said in my original post, I think the letter writing campaign was horrible, and I in no way think that she is an innocent. She lied and did some sneaky stuff to even get the letter to his employers. The source I posted agrees with that, even going so far to say

Writing employers is a low blow. And despite Mason’s many flaws as a thinker and a human being, he’s no Nazi.

My problem with the situation is the fact that the retaliation is affecting innocents that have nothing to do in this petty internet argument. These are the same people that decide when they disagree with you the best thing to do is send a swat team to their mother's house and think that is perfectly fine. And people in this thread are applauding these miscreants like they are heroes.

It is disgusting how people are celebrating the fact that people are losing their livelihoods because of internet trolls. If you condone behavior like any of the people involved in this farce on either side have been engaging in, you are just as bad as all of them.

And the youtuber is an ass. That is my opinion.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:20 PM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977

It is disgusting how people are celebrating the fact that people are losing their livelihoods because of internet trolls.

The internet trolls are the ones losing their livelihood. Their employees are caught in the crossfire, but the trolls are the ones who placed them there.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:26 AM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

Are we in the wrong thread, LOL?

I just noticed this, what the hell just happened to this page? ROTFL, I can't blame it on having more than one open --I don't, I had the Bernie thread open. Where did this one come from? Halloween trick or treat hijinks on ATS? I'll edit where appropriate, not applicable to this thread at all.

Back to the issue at hand though. You don't find the response of the 400,000 followers of the Youtuber to be a bit ... disproportionate?

I am not referring here to the woman's actions, which were despicable. I'm referring to the actions of Thunderfoot's followers.

If Thunderfoot wanted to go after the Laughing Witch that's one thing.

But if what she did to him was wrong, I can't see how we can justify what 400,000 (or some portion) of his followers did to her.

She acted out of disagreement with his politics, and so did they.

She called each single subscriber to his channel "nazi's, muslim hater and woman haters" and a lot of them responded in kind. The truest social justice i have ever seen, ironicly enough.

If you are going to attack a lion with your bare hands and the lion strikes back then dont come back to complain on how it is not fair because the lion is much stronger then you. A smart person would have known that. Next to the fact that it was just downright wrong. If you are going to attack 400.000 people then expect and be prepared 400.000 consequenses. If you cant handle that then simply think before you try to rape the constitution. You said earlier that this is wrong and she merely tried to make a political statement and they should leave her buisseness alone, She tried to make someone else lose their buissnes just because she didnt like that persons opinion.

If you want to be political then that is how the cookie crumbles. You do unpopular unsympethatic things (or just downright despicable) then you get voted down. Thats politics, now deal with it, politicians have to aswell and sometimes they lose because millions disagree with them and they get slammed for it. Tip, dont go into politics so publicly if your not that smart.

She even went as far as saying that it is just wrong to write fake reviews. While she already had fake reviews up online made by herself about her own company to wich she herself responded too. I dont see anything disproportionate in here. She threw a rock , she had the same rock thrown back and now suffers the consequenses she whas trying to inflict on her victim.

She wants social justice, that is exactly what she got.

edit on 1-11-2015 by everyone because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:47 AM
link   

originally posted by: angrypsycho1977
My problem with the situation is the fact that the retaliation is affecting innocents that have nothing to do in this petty internet argument.

Which is why this woman , as a employer should have never put her own reputation and therefore her own buisseness and empoyees at danger so publicly in the first place. She is responsible for her own buissness and she is responsible for making the move that she did by trying to make someone else lose his livelyhood just becasue she disagreed with him.

the backlash was not from this thunderfoot himself (the targeted victim) but from 400.000 people on the internet and all of them got acused of being nazi's , hitler supporters, muslim haters and woman haters by this woman. She simply got hit by public opinion. One she went out to target and attack.

The employers only have one person to blame for the consequences they might suffer and that is the woman herself.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 02:52 AM
link   

originally posted by: Nyiah

a reply to: Nyiah

Are we in the wrong thread, LOL?

I just noticed this, what the hell just happened to this page? ROTFL, I can't blame it on having more than one open --I don't, I had the Bernie thread open. Where did this one come from? Halloween trick or treat hijinks on ATS? I'll edit where appropriate, not applicable to this thread at all.

No worries.
Yeah, I wouldn't doubt that gremlins may be in the quantum mechanics today, LOL.

EDIT

Back to the issue at hand though. You don't find the response of the 400,000 followers of the Youtuber to be a bit ... disproportionate?

I am not referring here to the woman's actions, which were despicable. I'm referring to the actions of Thunderfoot's followers.

If Thunderfoot wanted to go after the Laughing Witch that's one thing.

But if what she did to him was wrong, I can't see how we can justify what 400,000 (or some portion) of his followers did to her.

She acted out of disagreement with his politics, and so did they.

Maybe I'm wrong but thunderfoot and his fans didn't really do this because of her politics, they went after her because she tried to get him fired/smeared in the media/arrested for his youtube videos and the fact that she claimed his fans are nazi skin heads that could very likely commit murder/terrorism. Majority of Thunderfoot fans knew about Jennifer Keller's politics way before this event, from what I saw the vast majority of the reviews done by his fans were only telling the truth about the VP of the company being a giant liar and possible customers should think twice before they do business with such a person.
edit on 1-11-2015 by nancyliedersdeaddog because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:14 AM
link   

What she and her husband did was despicable. No question.

When the same things are done to them in return, however, and worse ... that's laudable?

Laudable? no. Poetic justice, maybe. For every action there is an equal and opposite reaction, or to put it in proper context, there are consequences for your actions, as she just learned. Don't take that to mean that I support them losing their business and livelihood, but rather that I find her actions deplorable and that it is only fitting that she bear the brunt of the attack that she lead on Thunderfoot. Whatever comes from it, and wherever it leads, it's her own fault and she only has herself to blame for it.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

Where is her gofundme page so I can donate like a mindless tool bag?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:59 AM
link   
a reply to: everyone

So, it was injustice for one person to attempt to cause Thunderfoot to lose his job or lose financially, but fine when multiple others attempt to cause the Witch to lose financially.

Somehow that just doesn't compute.
edit on 7Sun, 01 Nov 2015 07:03:40 -060015p0720151166 by Gryphon66 because: Noted

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:03 AM
link   
a reply to: looneylupinsrevenge

1. Action: The Witch goes after Thunderfoot illegitimately because she views him as a political enemy.

2. Equal and opposite reaction: Thunderfoot goes after the Witch.

3. Unequal and inequitable reaction: Multitudes of Thunderfoot's fans go after the Witch because they see her as an enemy.

Notice the similarity between 1 and 3.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:08 AM
link   
a reply to: nancyliedersdeaddog

So they agreed with the Witch's politics then?

You're sure that all of them reacted for exactly the same reasons?

Seems to me you're assuming a lot here; let's assume little.

Wrong when the Witch Did it to Thunderfoot.

Wrong when Thunderfoot's "followers" attacked the Witch and her family.

Or ... we can just say that there are many who don't like activists who don't agree with their own politics, and do the same despicable things to that activist that they whine about being done to them.

Reminds me of something another political activist said: "Eye for an eye and soon the whole world is blind."

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:37 AM
link   

So, it was injustice for one person to attempt to cause Thunderfoot to lose his job or lose financially, but fine when multiple others attempt to cause the Witch to lose financially.

No sympathy because she drew first blood. He did not start this. She did. That's why it's just desserts.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:45 AM
link   

originally posted by: Hendrick99

No sympathy because she drew first blood. He did not start this. She did. That's why it's just desserts.

So eye for an eye then? Okay. Seems applicable for Thunderfoot to go after her.

Seems that what the fans did is the exact same thing that folks are damning the Witch for doing.

Not to mention that "I did it but she did it first!" seems more than a little childlike.

This isn't about "appropriate response" this is about punishing "social justice warriors" i.e. about doing the same thing to SJWs as people find disturbing about them.

Seems paradoxical and hypocritical.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:11 AM
link   

originally posted by: infolurker
Now, I am not familiar with either party here but from face value it is poetic justice.

So, this Youtube anti-feminist guy has about 400,000 subscribers. SJW lady decides to go after him on a personal level and contact his Employer to try to get him fired and goes to the trouble of smugly saying that "there is nothing you can do about it".

Well, guess what, turn-about is fair play. Now she is trying to get the FBI involved because the guy relayed the story to his subscribers and they blasted her and her husbands business.

Funny how Karma works sometimes. She has now (after the fact) apologized for trying to get the guy fired and is requesting Cyber Terrorism charges now.
www.wusa9.com...
www.wusa9.com...

OWIE, Md. (WUSA9) -- The owners of a Prince George's County bathroom restoration and remodeling company say they've apologized, asked for help from law enforcement and reached out to local media in an effort to stop what has become a one-sided war with an online army.

Beginning on October 20th, supporters of a YouTube provocateur known as "Thunderf00t" have been bombarding Porcelain Tub Restoration of Bowie with negative reviews on Yelp and Google, mocking emails and phone calls.

Jenny Keller, a vice president of the company and, until recently, the woman behind the YouTube channel "Laughing Witch" said this started with a letter she sent to the employer of Thunderf00t, real name Dr. Phil Mason, back in February. The letter was part of a campaign to pressure Mason to change what Keller and others believed was anti-feminist and anti-Muslim rhetoric on his popular YouTube channel, which has more than 400,000 subscribers

Mason saw the letters, and subsequent YouTube videos promoting Keller's campaign, as an effort to get him fired, and responded in kind. Mason posted a series of videos divulging Keller's name and business address (she named herself in her own videos), and encouraging his supporters around the world to review the company she leads with her husband, Paul Burns.

"I don't know how to make this go away," Burns told WUSA9 on Thursday. "We've apologized. This has nothing to do with my business. They're really hurting the wrong people. They want to hurt her. She taunted them in the video and said 'you can't hurt me.' Well, yes they can."

Burns said negative Yelp and Google reviews decimated his company's standing online. Calls and emails from would-be customers have dried up. The couple is now raising money online to support their workers should they go under, Burns says.

"We were on the ropes, and we were looking to see blue sky finally. Things were picking up then this came down, the hammer came down," Burns said. "You have no recourse as a business owner. They just, they take these reviews at face value. Its economic cyber terrorism."

Burns has contacted the online reviewing sites, receiving varying levels of cooperation in removing the negative reviews. His appeals to the FBI to investigate what he calls online harassment of his wife have gone unanswered.

Keller apologized to Mason in a video on her YouTube channel, then deactivated the channel, along with her Twitter profile. In an interview Thursday she was chastened, but still angry at Mason, and the blow-back from his supporters.

"So basically, I've been shut up and shut down. And so have most of the feminists on the YouTube community," Keller said.

She is, she concedes, surrendering, in hopes of saving her business.

"Those people seem to be totally dedicated to causing as much harm as they can because we engaged in a political action."

So, what do you think.

I think anyone trying to get you fired from your job because they don't like your legal youtube videos is bullcrap. She posted a mocking video all proud of herself on trying to get him fired. (Not sure if he did or not).

Then, when similar tactics are used against her it is cyber terrorism!

LOL

EDIT: according to the comments she even went beyond trying to get him fired, she contacted Police to try and get him arrested and local newspapers.... then set up a gofundme right before they "appologized". Classy.

she didn't just write to his boss, she also wrote to the police and 5 newspapers. She tried to get him ARRESTED because she didn't like his youtube videos. In her letter she falsely claimed that thunderf00t "openly worships hitler" and praises the holocaust as good for humanity
Like · Reply · 21 · 14 hrs
Aron Smith
Bow Man is correct, also they started a gofundme campaign right before their apology for 25,000, coincidently (or not) they lost a judgement to Wells Fargo 2 months ago for almost the same amount. Neither side of this story has acted admirably in this, But Jennifer Keller started this and her actions I find much more deplorable. This wasn't about anything but trying to silence someones opinion that she didn't agree with.
Like · Reply · 16 · 14 hrs
Jacques Cuze ·
Works at Freelance Journalist
She was absolutely proud and bragging on YouTube of how she tried to get him fired because she did not like his speech. Not only did she write to his employers, she falsely accused him of crimes in the Czech Republic that could have had him arrested. And she sent those accusations to the Police.

So now she finds out the Internet does not like her behavior and turns around and does to her what she did to him.

And apology? They issues a classic not apology. Apologizing to their customers and employees but not to her victim.

It's deplorable behavior on her part, on the trolls parts, on YELP who could easily have swiftly contained the situation by freezing their page and restoring it.

Even as a staunch ally and poverty activist, and even former anti-racism researcher, I have become very disgusted with where the social justice community is going. Here is a great article critiquing some of its excesses.

observer.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:21 AM
link   

originally posted by: luciddream
i find it how these "equal" rights feminist get all pissed when they discuss men issue...
"discuss men suicide rate = hating women.."
if normal feminist stop allowing this crap to go on the longer the feminist will last, if not, this modern feminism hypocrisy cult will see it being short lived.

This is my biggest problem with social justice writ large. The mast majority of emergent SJ and feminist dogma is all about double standards, not real equality. This is like the whole "only white people can be racist," only "men can be sexist," because "only men and whites have any power," etc. I think that most normal people don't actually buy that argument, and most normal people not in academia or in social justice do NOT appreciate negative behavior or statements towards males or whites.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:41 AM
link   

originally posted by: peck420

Are you saying that the outcomes of actions are not important ... only intentions?

Outcomes do have there place in the hierarchy of importance, but intent is exceedingly more important, in the determination of right and wrong, than outcomes.

Which is why criminal law has entirely different charges for actions with equal outcome but differing intent.

You're vastly overgeneralizing in the latter case, but that's not the issue here. Criminal Intent

Thanks for your answer.

However, all of the "eye for an eye" commentary aside, to me, those who attacked the woman (and her husband) did so with the same "foul intent" that she initially attacked the other guy for ... they disagreed with her politics.

As is the case in many advocates for the outcome in this thread. If so, to me, the punishers are no better than the offender.

I don't agree that the reaction is equal ethically to the original action. For example, if someone attacks me physically and I knock them out, my doing so is NOT the same ethically as their act of aggression. It's really important in these situations to not victim blame.

Also, for several years now there has been too much from the social justice warriors in tarring and feathering virtually ANYBODY who disagrees in the slightest. People can get flamed and spurned even in the mainstream media for any perceived identity politics faux pas.

It's about time that one of them got flamed online and in the media for such things. Maybe, just maybe, it will make a few of the SJWs think twice about trying to ruin their opponents.

edit on 1-11-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:52 AM
link   
a reply to: infolurker

I cannot get how some fanatic could be so callous as to try to ruin your income and career because they don't like what you said on the internet.

Isn't that precisely what the guy and his cohorts are doing to the Woman and her Husband, because they didn't like what she had to say?

Bit hypocritical mate.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Quetzalcoatl14

Yes, if someone attacks you physically and you deal with them physcically, you are defending yourself.

If someone attacks someone you admire (but does not attack not you) and you do the exact same thing to them that they did to your friend or mentor ... the situation is the same.

I realize this post is not about the ethics of political action, but is mostly a thread about political activists getting their "just deserts." It's not meant to ask any questions about the situation, merely to say "Good! Glad she got what she deserved, dirty SJW!"

However, just as we don't end discrimination by discriminating, we don't end political activism's overreach by doing the exact same things to the activist that they are doing to others.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:11 AM
link   

However, just as we don't end discrimination by discriminating, we don't end political activism's overreach by doing the exact same things to the activist that they are doing to others.

I'm on the fence about only because I know they've BEEN using this as a tool so much and so effectively that they are starting to feel empowered by it. It's only now that they are getting hit back that they realize their reckless behavior may have consequences. There are many others who have actually lost their jobs and been doxed. This is becoming one of their main tools, and it's dangerous. they've had impunity for a while, if every dox is met with a counter dox people may be less willing to play these stupid games.

mundane matt recently had a dox threatening to release all his info to hate groups.

and as far as laughing witch goes, she is an opportunistic scam artist.

edit on 11am09am302015-11-01T09:12:53-06:0009America/Chicago by mahatche because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:22 AM
link   
there is another youtuber in this circle with laughingwitch and thunderfoot named jennie mcdermott who insulted thunderfoot's dad after thunderfoot made a video discussing his fathers battle with cancer. When people got angry and started insulting her she played the victim card and reported them to the FBI.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:31 AM
link   
a reply to: mahatche

My point has been if the Witch's actions are reprehensible (they are) then doing the same things to her are equally reprehensible.

Fighting fire with fire results in more fire until everything is burned.

/shrug

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join