It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Transgender woman Tara Hudson loses all-male prison appeal

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:53 AM
link   

A transgender woman who was sent to a men's prison has lost an appeal against her sentence.
Tara Hudson, 26, from Bath, was jailed and placed at the all-male HMP Bristol for 12 weeks after admitting assault.
Her case prompted a campaign, backed by thousands of supporters, to get her moved.
During an appeal hearing at Bristol Crown Court, the judge asked for consideration to be made about where she serves her sentence.

Transgender woman Tara Hudson loses all-male prison appeal

Now this one... I really don't know how I feel about this if I'm honest. Should she be in a man or woman's prison? I really don't have an answer or, indeed, if I in fact have an opinion either way.

However, I do think it's a very interesting case.

What do you think?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:59 AM
link   
From your source...

Hudson has had reconstructive surgery and lived as a woman all her adult life but is still legally a man.

The law is being followed. She is still legally a man and since that is the case, they cannot legally put her in an all women's prison.

She is where she should be by law IMO.

It's a bad situation all the way around. Gray areas that certainly need to be defined sooner or later.
edit on 10/30/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
Stick her in isolation, she won't be safe in either prison. But I believe that there are always ways to deal with now scenarios. I haven't followed this much but does she still have her 'tackle'?
If so, even if she is a woman inside, unfortunately she is 'too male' for a female prison.

If she is fully transformed, then she should go to a woman's prison, because she'd be the most assaulted person in history if they put her with men.

So, yeah, for her own safety, I'd go with isolation. Also I hope she learns from this. To go to prison you must have done a crime, she could have thought of that. Being transgender doesn't mean you are above the law. If you don't want to be in this situation, don't behave like a Neanderthal.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:03 AM
link   
there is going to be some extreamly pleased inmates that will be offering her/him to hold their pockets.
Men who havent seen breasts in a long time that are going to be... More than curious.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:05 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kangaruex4Ewe
From your source...

Hudson has had reconstructive surgery and lived as a woman all her adult life but is still legally a man.

The law is being followed. She is still legally a man and since that is the case, they cannot legally put her in an all women's prison.

Oh and of course the law is always fair,and balanced and just.(sarc) it amounts to cruel and unusual punishment as this judge is making a example of a person he dislikes personally due to being TG. The only thing lacking was the paperwork. Which if the judge was not a total doosh could had alowwed. Crap he could had ordered it backdated if he wished.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:06 AM
link   
Reminds me of the case how that transgender male playing dress up as a female, is in the MMA.
Dude is going around beating the crap out of woman legally and geting paid for it.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:09 AM
link   
a reply to: yuppa

They could have likely done any number of things. I can agree with that. I also think that her attorney should be working damn hard to get the proper paperwork done so even if she is currently in a male prison, she can be transferred to an all female prison upon completion.

Nobody put her in either prison besides herself. By law, they did what they were supposed to. As with a lot of people in the law, some want to help more than others. These didn't seem to want to, so they (her, her attorney, family) must take the next step to legally change it themselves.

edit on 10/30/2015 by Kangaruex4Ewe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   
a reply to: Kangaruex4Ewe

I guess I don't understand how "legally" she is still a man... is it because [s]he was born that way??

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:10 AM
link   

originally posted by: Macenroe82
Reminds me of the case how that transgender male playing dress up as a female, is in the MMA.
Dude is going around beating the crap out of woman legally and geting paid for it.

You do realize that muscle mass and strength changes after being on hormones for a while right? "she " actually got weaker than if she had stayed a male. same skeleton though but thats it. now if the "guy" is a crossdresser and not on hormones he should not be in the MMA. Now which is it? is th e MMA fighter on hormones or not?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   
a reply to: FamCore

You would have to ask the state, the writer of the article, the judge... Anybody but me. I just quoted what the article stated.

I am assuming that she was born that way.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:16 AM
link   

They could have likely done any number of things. I can agree with that. I also think that her attorney should be working damn hard to get the proper paperwork done so even if she is currently in a male prison, she can be transferred to an all female prison upon completion.

Nobody put her in either prison besides herself. By law, they did what they were supposed to. As with a lot of people in the law, some want to help more than others. These didn't seem to want to, so they (her, her attorney, family) must take the next step to legally change it themselves.

True. It just annoys me how the legal system is at times though. its NOT IMPARTIAL anymore.Judges are humans too and let their personal bias interfere with all decisions these days. ANd yeah her attorney better get on it quick or else i sense a lawsuit coming his way as well.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: yuppa

From your source...

Oh and of course the law is always fair,and balanced and just.(sarc) it amounts to cruel and unusual punishment as this judge is making a example of a person he dislikes personally due to being TG. The only thing lacking was the paperwork. Which if the judge was not a total doosh could had alowwed. Crap he could had ordered it backdated if he wished.

As far as I heard from the other thread about this a few days ago, she still has vestige remains of a penis hence why the paperwork was not completed. As bad as this is, she(?) still is a man as the transformation has not been completed couple that with an obvious tendency for violence and it looks like the judge had no alternative but to keep Tara at the male prison.
edit on 30-10-2015 by sosobad because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:19 AM
link   

I'm not sure that it's ever been completely impartial sadly. Having those biases.... Sometimes that works out to some people's advantage and sometimes it harms people it should be helping.

You can bet that we haven't heard the last of this case and this certainly won't be the last either.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:22 AM
link   

en.m.wikipedia.org...

Doesnt say about the hormone supplements. But states she doesnt have testies or ovaries. So is actually at a disadvantage id say.
But does have the bone structure and density of a man. Which in a fight is ideal. A weak wrist makes a punch lose any and all impact. And no that did not mean to be a pun.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:25 AM
link   
I have no issues with the transgender movement, I support their rights to whatever they want to do with their body. But, he did want to be legally considered a "Man", so he was treated as such. You can't have it both ways in my opinion. How is that fair to everyone else? I'm sure other men would like to go to a all female prison so they don't have to worry about being raped as well. He made his decisions, and now he will have to deal with those decisions it looks like. Weird situation all around.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:35 AM
link   
a reply to: MrCrow

Legal law trumps feelings. who woulda thought.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:36 AM
link   

This is one of those situations where biology is no where near as relevant to the topic as psychology. For all that this woman may share characteristics with a male of the species in terms of their hormones and their genitalia, the fact remains that in terms of their psychology, and indeed their outward appearance, they are female, and represent themselves as such.

Now, I understand that it would be just as difficult for this individual to fit in at a women's prison, if they do indeed still possess male genital equipment, I also believe that the solution which has been found here is not appropriate to the situation at hand, and opens the individual concerned up to unreasonable levels of unwanted attention from other inmates, attention which will, in all probability, result in a considerable threat to their life, and their right to decide in matters of who is allowed to access them for the purpose of performing some sort of intercourse.

To be clear, there is virtually no way that I can see, that this individual will be able to live in that prison, without being sexually assaulted, repeatedly. That is not an acceptable situation to find oneself in, no matter what ones crime may have been. A better solution must be found.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:38 AM
link   

Maybe this transgender should have kept his nose clean and been a law abiding citizen! Karma can be a b*tch, LITERALLY.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:45 AM
link   

He still has a willy, just because he has boobs doesn't make him a woman, I have boobs (granted mine are from years of years of alcohol and kebab consumption and not from the NHS), but my little feller downstairs means I am a man.

If he had gone the full snip nip and tuck, I might have had a different opinion.

It's good that he has lost his appeal, he assaulted another person, and as I said in another thread, for them to have sent him to prison means either it was serious, or he is a repeat offender.

Besides, straight blokes wont touch him inside, and gays....well, the boobs probably would put them off.
edit on 30/10/15 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:49 AM
link   
I would like to add that Tara has a history of violent behavior

The court heard a very drunk Hudson had headbutted Be At One Bar manager Christopher Dyer after she was refused any more alcohol. Mr Dyer needed £1,500 worth of dental surgery following the attack.

That was some headbutt to cause that much damage.

Hudson, who has eight previous convictions including offences for battery, had hoped her punishment would see her placed on an electronic tag and made to undergo an alcohol awareness course.

www.mirror.co.uk...

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join