It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oregon public health officials say teen girl has bubonic plague

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:39 AM
link   
I know we get a few of these cases every year, but they are definitely worth keeping an eye on. Bubonic plague is one nasty little disease. I am sure with the right treatment and caught in time people would be OK for the most part, but if many became infected at the same time it would be a nightmare.

A teen girl from eastern Oregon has contracted the bubonic plague, health officials said.

The Crook County girl is believed to have acquired the disease from a flea bite during a hunting trip near Heppner in Morrow County, officials said. The trip started on Oct. 16, she fell ill five days later and was hospitalized three days afterward.

The girl is recovering at a hospital intensive care unit. Her condition isn't known.

Bubonic Plague

Guessing this will stay isolated to this one case here, but it was on a hunting trip and there are plenty of hunters and plenty of wildlife in Oregon that can carry this disease.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:45 AM
link   
Its out there, somewhere… waiting.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 06:55 AM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

i cant get in the link proxy servers;

Could you maybe post the whole thread in here, pretty please.. =)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Yes usually the cases are often found in the US, so far the cases are few, Oregon seems to get more than any other state.

Plague, in humans, doesn't pop up a lot. Generally there are between one and seventeen cases per year in the United States, and only about a thousand in total since 1900. Anyone of any age can get contract the infection, but probability of exposure increases with outdoor activity. Lie down with small mammals, get up with plague.

People who want to minimize their possibility can go snow-camping, or camping during the coldest part of the winter -- although getting the plague may seem the more pleasurable option. Cases of plague are very rare, and antibiotics are effective, but the disease is no joke. It still carries a 11 percent overall mortality rate.

In 2012, two major cases of bubonic plague hit the news. An Oregon man attempted to dislodge a partially-eaten mouse in his pet cat's throat. The mouse was most likely infected. The cat bit the man, which would have left large open wounds for the bacteria to get into. He was treated, but lost his fingers and toes to infection before he recovered.

news.discovery.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:00 AM
link   
a reply to: marg6043

Which antibiotics are effective?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:30 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

You can find some info here:
CDC Link
WHO Link

edit on 10302015 by BobbyRock because: edit info.

edit on 10302015 by BobbyRock because: FUBAR WHO Link

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:39 PM
link   

I have read the mice in these rural cabins can carry it, so something people could look out for! Making sure a place is clear of rodents before staying is a good plan, and a good bug repellent can't hurt, either. Hope all our hunters take precautions!

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

Lazy!

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 06:51 AM
link   
a reply to: NewzNose

Me Too......... That's why I didn't cut n' pasted quotes/info, just posted the links...........

edit on 10312015 by BobbyRock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 11:21 AM
link   
a reply to: BobbyRock

posted on Apr, 10 2016 @ 03:35 PM
link   
If you want to read up on the Bubonic Plague of 1348-49, here are some free books in EPUB format. They are long out of copyright.

JFC Hecker, "Epidemics of the Middle Ages". www.dropbox.com...

Another version. Link.

top topics

join