It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cant get rid of unwanted search engine as homepage

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 12:35 AM
link   
Oh bugger it, just lost the post I was working on. Here goes again.

I have downloaded Malwarebytes and run it but it isnt finding anything.

I have Chrome reset the settings several times but it is still com gin back.

I ran CrapCleaner and it is still coming back.

I know it came in through DVDvidoesoft youtube downloader upgrade the other day so I have deleted it and another program (hubresults) that was installed that day. I should have got rid of that #ty program ages ago, everytime I upgrade it changes my toolbar, homepage and adds tune up programs but I got used to how it works and was always able to revert back to my original preferences.

My homepage is loading up for half a second before this page comes up:
searchinterneat-a.akamaihd.net/h?eq=u0eecfzvbb8srggwjqbeuwgtfxhhjg4pta1fr1qoeqkbwrrdfgyxcgpbugktqlmfik0fa1odb0vxfvtublpxtwhxjupndu0caubb

and then it quickly moves to
au.smartshopsave.com/?siteid=28527&q999&l=sem&ad=sema&an=misc

So I have done a websearch for au.smartshopsave and have found a few pages on it, and downloaded SpyHunter4 and am running it, it tells me it has found 83 threats so far.

Anyhoo, just waiting for the post response that tells me that SpyHunter4 is a malware program and my computer will die from liver infection in 3 days or something.

ETA
What's a good youtube video downloader?

edit on 1/11/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Ok, SpyHunter tells me it is a free download but now it has finished the scan it wants me to pay before it will fix the threats, I am getting sick of all this scamming, might give up on the internet like I gave up on TV a few months ago.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 03:31 AM
link   
Cinrad, whenever you download anything to install, and it gives you a "custom install" option do it. Do not do the install they recommend, that is where you are getting your adware you don't want. You need to do "custom install" and then purposefully click on the radial buttons to not install the junkware added with whatever you are downloading.

What version of Windows are you using? Windows 8.1 and 10 have Windows Defender built in. For Windows 7 it's called Windows Security Essentials, but it's the same thing. But you have to install it manually.

On Chrome you can try to do this:

Click on the the tab on the upper-right-hand corner that will open up a list of options and click on settings (It's customize and control google Chrome, it it three horizontal lines for an icon). Under settings click on extensions. And delete any extension you are not familiar with. When done on the left-hand side click on settings again and leave open.

Now go to "Uninstall or change a program". You can find that in the Control Panel. Organize by date "installed on", so that the most recent programs are listed first. And start uninstalling all of them that you didn't want to install, or you don't know about. Look through the whole list. Any added toolbar function, or any other program that installed automatically you don't want start uninstalling.

After that go back to Chrome and reset your home page.

Close Chrome and look on your desktop. Are there any icons that were put there you didn't want to? Like anything saying, complete installation, or anything else fishy? Shift-delete them. Get rid of them, and empty your trash bin just to be sure.

Re-open Google Chrome and see if that fixes your issue.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 04:36 AM
link   
I did all that Jack, it has helped as now the opening page when I open Chrome goes straight to Google as I want it to. But the new tab still goes to unwanted search site and searching in the address bar takes me to Ask as well. I have a page blocker working on it now so that it automatically diverts any of those pages back to Google but the computer is running slower and I dont know if my sensitive security is compromised.

Thanks for the tip on installing.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:43 AM
link   
a reply to: Cinrad

Go back to settings in Chrome and under: On Startup click on: "Set Pages." That will open a new tab with the websites it opens to automatically. Hoover your mouse over the link you don't want and on the right hand side click the X button to delete it. The x button won't become visible until you hoover your mouse over the link.

Then click Ok, and then under the same "On Startup" click on the radial that says: Open the New tab Page.

Then scroll down until you find: Search. And you will want to make sure "Google" is highlighted on the left part, if not click on it and select Google. Then on the right where it says "Mange search engines" click on the tab and deselect any search engines you DO NOT want to use.

Then on the lefthand side scroll up and click on "Extensions" again. And check and make sure no new extensions were added again that you don't want, and delete them.

Open up Uninstall Programs again, make sure it is ordered according to most recent date installed and check to see if anything installed since last time, and if so delete it again.

Close Chrome. Reopen.

Your computer could be going slower if you have installed more than one antivirus, that will cause havoc on your system, especially if it is a little older, and still it is not good to have more than one running.

Do all that first, and if you need help uninstalling one of the antiviruses, if you have more than one running, we'll try to help you.
edit on 1-11-2015 by JackReyes because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 05:55 PM
link   
Thanks Jack, I have done all that again. The malware site address used to be in the settings and I deleted it several times but now it is not even there and it still comes up when I get on Chrome. This is a real sticky one. Going to get on the net again.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 06:16 PM
link   
BTW, it turns out SpyHunter 4 is malware
Source

I can't understand why Malwarebytes isn't getting rid of this.
edit on 1/11/15 by Cinrad because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Too bad couldn't help you more. The next easiest thing to do, if you have Windows 8.1 or Windows 10 is to refresh the system, which means it'll reinstall the OS. Once you get malware it can be a big pain to get rid of it, and you probably won't be able too completely.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 12:14 AM
link   
I appreciate the help anyway, this is an ugly thing all right. How do i reinstall it, or return to an earlier configuration or whatever its called?

posted on Nov, 14 2015 @ 09:29 AM
link   

LOL open run or windows search box then Type msconfig next click startup programs their should be a search engine program opening on startup you need to disable this. This isnt on chrome its in WINDOWS START UP PROGRAMS! These programs start when you turn on the computer.

#2 you need to uninstall the program completely.
#3 run Ccleaner first to fix Dll files the program might of changed to avoid being deleted.
#4 Open chrome and Click the 3 bars horizontal bars in the right hand corner of your browser, click settings, scroll down to the "search" and click "manage search engines" and delete any other search engine except google.
#5 in the same settings menu you will see "On Startup" make sure its on "open a new tab" not "open a specific page".
#6 click the extensions page and make sure you don't have any shopping browser extensions if you do delete them.

posted on Nov, 15 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
a reply to: jobless1

Thanks jobless one. I have been meaning to update this by saying that the Ffffing thing is finally gone, about 3 days ago, I think MS security must have kicked it off after the 2nd update in 2 days.

Yes I realized it wasn't in Chrome when I opened Explorer and it was there too. I am left with SpyHunter now, but I can turn it off by going to task master/processes and ending program, so I have a program name to work with there. Just got to get around to it.

posted on Sep, 1 2016 @ 05:40 AM
link   
While watching online movie, recently get infected with a disastrous search engine that set itself as my preferred search engine. I am just unable to delete this search engine completely from my system. It affect my installed web browser Google Chrome. Whenever, I go for searching anything using this search engine, it immediately redirect me to another unsafe website. I have also reset my browser several times, but doesn't get any results. I have also used some other cleaner tools, but all my efforts get wasted.

I have encounter following problem on my browser :-

Affect deeply my installed web browser.
Doesn't get any fruitful results, while searching on this unwanted search engine.
My browser get redirected to another web page.
It proves itself as genuine search engine.
My homepage get lots of time in loading, and it get replaced by this search engine.
It brings numerous ads on my system.
Most of the unwanted application get automatically installed into my system.
Every time, I open a new tab or new Window, this nasty search engine appear automatically on my Google Browser.
Degrades my Google Chrome performance.
Steal my personal as well as browsing information.
Allow its malicious hackers to remotely control over my browser.
Raises system security as well as privacy issues.

Hence, after seeing these problems, I was getting frustrated. Then I ask to my friends regarding this search engine removal from my system. He advise me to visit [urlRemove Unwanted Search engine From PC/[/url]. After visiting this site, I am feeling more pleasure. It provide me quick solution to remove nasty search engine completely from my system. With the help of him, I can easily solve my different browser issues.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join