It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What predictions does Creationism make? (a fundamental requirement in science class)

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:07 PM
link   
a reply to: Phage

and the people that wrote the pentatuch knew that the whole universe was made of the same stuff as their bodies? that's a bold assumption

It was a hypotheses from their point...not a fact as it had not yet been proven
edit on 1-11-2015 by Agree2Disagree because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:08 PM
link   
a reply to: Agree2Disagree

Bold indeed.
Who assumed they knew that?

It was a hypotheses from their point...not a fact as it had not yet been proven
It was a belief that man was created from mud. A belief based on superstition and ignorance. (Hypotheses is the plural, btw)
edit on 11/1/2015 by Phage because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:11 PM
link   

Well then you tell me.

They wrote that the body is made of the same material as the dirt of the earth...

And in fact, every element found in the body is found in the dirt of the earth...

Now imagine you are living in that time and are a scientist...could you test that claim? could you verify it? Could you form a scientifically testable hypothesis based off the statemnt "from dust you came"? Because that is what this whole thread is about.....a simple yes or no would suffice

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

They wrote that the body is made of the same material as the dirt of the earth...
They did?

And in fact, every element found in the body is found in the dirt of the earth...
And everywhere else.

Now imagine you are living in that time and are a scientist...could you test that claim?
There was no science in that time. There was no means to test that claim (if that's actually what was claimed). There was, however, a great deal of superstition.

Because that is what this whole thread is about.....
Actually, this thread is about whether or not Genesis is a testable proposition. It has nothing to do with the elemental composition of the Universe or humans.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:23 PM
link   

You completely ignored my question.

The statement "from dust you came and to dust you shall return" is from Genesis 3:19

Can you or can you not form a testable hypothesis based on that statement?

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:27 PM
link   

You completely ignored my question.
Actually, I answered your question. In the negative.

Can you or can you not form a testable hypothesis based on that statement?

That is not the same question you asked but I know I was not taken from the ground.

By the sweat of your brow you will eat your food
until you return to the ground, since from it you were taken

But, if you are talking about the Abrahamic creation myth, no it is not testable.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   

Don't be intellectually dishonest phage.

You know you can form a testable hypothesis based on that statement just as well as anyone else here. The fact of the matter is that creationism does provide some testable hypotheses....some have been verified...some have been falsified...

If you did not come from the ground...tell me...how and when did you stumble upon this information...because as far as I can tell...we all came from the same thing....the ground and you share a common ancestor phage...regardless of whether or not you want to admit it...

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:32 PM
link   

It was a belief that man was created from mud. A belief based on superstition and ignorance. (Hypotheses is the plural, btw)

Or a metaphor?

Or an ancient throwback to single celled organisms in the mud evolving into such and such and so on.

edit on 1-11-2015 by CharlieSpeirs because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   

You know you can form a testable hypothesis based on that statement just as well as anyone else here.

Actually, I cannot think of a way to determine that I came "from the ground" because I didn't. I came from my mother's body.

The fact of the matter is that creationism does provide some testable hypotheses
Name one. How does one test whether there was an intelligence which created...everything?

the ground and you share a common ancestor phage
Okay. The ground's "ancestor" was a supernova (or several) so on that I guess we agree.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:37 PM
link   
a reply to: CharlieSpeirs

The point is, whether it was belief or metaphor or whatever you want to call it...it had clear implications that could be validated or falsified scientifically....

If human bodies were made of something not found within the dirt of the earth....it would falsify the entire statement...and thus it would falsify creationism as a whole...

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

If human bodies were made of something not found within the dirt of the earth....it would falsify the entire statement...and thus it would falsify creationism as a whole...

It would also falsify modern science. Because there are only so many elements and if we were made of something that wasn't one of them...well then...we have a problem.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Then you also concede that you are not a product of evolution...only a product from your mother's body.....

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:41 PM
link   

Then you also concede that you are not a product of evolution...only a product from your mother's body

Yes. I am a product of my mother's body.
My species is the result of evolution.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:50 PM
link   

So then to clarify, did your species come from the same material as the dirt of the earth?

Genesis 3:19 says your species should be made of the same material as the dirt....does science back this claim up?

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:54 PM
link   

So then to clarify

I thought I made that clear in my first post in this thread. Me, my species, the planet, and everything else is composed of the same elements.
www.abovetopsecret.com...

That does not mean that any of it was "created" by a...something. That is not a testable hypothesis.
I am not dirt. A meteorite is not dirt. Yet, we are both made of the same stuff. Because that is what everything is made of.

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

I didn't say it was created by anything...

All I said was...

Creationism claims(hypothesizes) we are from the same material as the dirt of the earth (Genesis 3:19)
Science verifies this claim(hypothesis)...

A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:57 PM
link   
By the sweat of your brow
you will eat your food
until you return to the ground,
since from it you were taken;
for dust you are
and to dust you will return.

Is what Genisis 3.19 says.

I'm not sure what your point is here...?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 07:59 PM
link   
a reply to: MarsIsRed

My point is this

Creationism is taken from Genesis...
Genesis says "you are taken from dust and to dust you will return..."

That is a scientifically testable phrase or statement....you can make predictions based off that statement...and you can test them...you can verify it scientifically..

Creationism(from genesis) PREDICTS(because at the time it was written it was not known as fact) that the body is made of the same stuff as the dirt of the earth...modern science can confirm

What don't you understand?
A2D

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:01 PM
link   

so, your argument is that everything is made of the same stuff somehow means humans are special?

posted on Nov, 1 2015 @ 08:23 PM
link   

Creationism claims we are from the same material as the dirt of the earth (Genesis 3:19)

Correction. Creationism claims, among other things, that we were "taken from dirt."
Science does not verify this claim.

<< 3  4  5    7  8  9 >>

join