It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Republicans forced to raise taxes after Tax Cut Failure

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:45 PM
link   
a reply to: TheBulk

When is the last you checked the net worth of your republican politicians? I hope that I live too see the day when society has had enough of people like you, & actually do something about it.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:47 PM
link   

originally posted by: yakidnme

When is the last you checked the net worth of your republican politicians? I hope that I live too see the day when society has had enough of people like you, & actually do something about it.

Why is everyone so concerned with what people have?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:59 PM
link   
a reply to: DBCowboy

Because so many on here are so concerned with what people do not have

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:00 PM
link   
I'm pretty sure most working class folks are concerned about what they don't have.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Big Republican tax cuts have failed to cause growth and raise revenues in Kansas to the tune of an almost half a billion dollars budget shortfall. The promises of economic boom from cutting taxes which would raise tax revenues has completely failed, which doesn't surprise all of us who knew that trickle-down economics was a gimic and smokescreen to cover up the rich getting richer. Now the Republican lawmakers were force to pass the biggest tax increase in state history.

www.bloomberg.com...

if you cut taxes on the rich, they are NOT going to go out and buy more, just not going to happen.

if you reduce corporate taxes they are NOT going to pay their employees more, just not going to happen

however if you cut taxes on the poor, meaning those earning less than 70K a year for a family of 3, they will go out and spend because they can now afford to go buy a newer car, go out to eat, buy goods and services they would have otherwise not used simply because they were trying to survive.

even better is raise the wages of the poor, they will immediately go start spending that new found money.

rent control on both apartments and business space is needed also.

anything that increases spending by the bottom 90% of the population will, increase business revenue, increase tax revenue generated, expand an economy.

greedy corporations and land owners, otherwise known as "job creators" are going to screw people all the time. just read this www.seattletimes.com...

this is why you need rent control on apartments and business space. the land owners were making money just fine, now they want to squeeze blood out of a turnip

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: mymymy

Because so many on here are so concerned with what people do not have

What utter horsecrap. If people actually cared, then there would be no homelessness, there would be no hungry kids. But people don't care. Sure they SAY they do. They tweet and wear wristbands and t-shirts and go on walk-a-thons.

But what they really want is for government to take care of the problem. And the only way government can do it is with OUR money. And they do a piss-poor job at it.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: yakidnme
I'm pretty sure most working class folks are concerned about what they don't have.

I'm concerned with what I don't have. I don't have time to worry about anyone else.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Well I am worried about what my fellow citizen doesn't have. What doesn't concern me is a bunch of worthless politicians that do nothing but spew # from there mouth & get rich in the process of screwing this country over.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:06 AM
link   
a reply to: CB328
I know one thing for sure. We cant tax our way out of the hole both parties have dug.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 07:10 AM
link   

Yea, I always forget to mark sarcastic posts, believe me I agree

But what they really want is for government to take care of the problem. And the only way government can do it is with OUR money. And they do a piss-poor job at it.

That's because what our Government actually does, and I will paraphrase Family Guy "They help those who already have the means to help themselves"

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 08:42 AM
link   
Tax cuts didn't work in my state so when they decided they needed money they taxed seniors pensions and anything else they could think of. Only the corporations got tax breaks. The corporations and their trucks tore up the road and who has to pay for it? we do because they increased prices at the gas pump with taxes.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Big Republican tax cuts have failed to cause growth and raise revenues in Kansas to the tune of an almost half a billion dollars budget shortfall. The promises of economic boom from cutting taxes which would raise tax revenues has completely failed, which doesn't surprise all of us who knew that trickle-down economics was a gimic and smokescreen to cover up the rich getting richer. Now the Republican lawmakers were force to pass the biggest tax increase in state history.

www.bloomberg.com...

It's very simple, few of the Republican policies are supported by any kind of economic, social science, or historical evidence or research as far as efficacy. As in, it's woo woo snake medicine.

Even if you are a conservative, have the intellectual and policy integrity, for the sake of all of us, to base policies on all relevant research.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:06 PM
link   

I'd like to hear one Republican, just once, admit that they were wrong, how about that??

I'd say raising them is itself, an admission.

posted on Oct, 31 2015 @ 02:18 PM
link   

When Big Business got in bed with Communist China and cheap labor, they eventually run out of other peoples money.
Consumers and workers pay the majority of taxes but they have less money to tax thanks to Big Business in bed with China.
There is no free ride.
edit on 31-10-2015 by jacobe001 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:06 AM
link   

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

It's very simple, few of the Republican policies are supported by any kind of economic, social science, or historical evidence or research as far as efficacy. As in, it's woo woo snake medicine.

Even if you are a conservative, have the intellectual and policy integrity, for the sake of all of us, to base policies on all relevant research.

This is what happens when you really start to believe that "government is the problem" and should be drowned in the bathtub. The oldsters didn't really truly believe that, but they're gone now, and it's the ones that they indoctrinated years ago who are running it. As a consequence, serious deep discussions of policy other than "deregulate & tax cuts for the rich" have now exited most Republican political consciousness---because belief in the necessity of actual effective policy constrained by facts of the world and laws of arithmetic presupposes that government has a legitimate purpose and must serve the needs of all.

Once upon a time, the Democratic party was the "mommy party" ("these people are hurting, we have to do something") and the Republican was the "daddy party" ("Well OK, but how are you going to pay for it, and remember there are bad people int he world who aren't on our side")

Now, the Democrats have to be the 'mommy party' & 'the daddy party' and Republicans have turned into "the crazy uncle Billy Jack party".

It's OK to be a conservative. It's also OK to be a liberal. It's not OK to be an anti-intellectual selfish blowhard.

edit on 2-11-2015 by mbkennel because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:14 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko
a reply to: Aazadan

If you don't decrease spending it's easy to think you're on the wrong side of a Laffer curve, especially when you're talking about the Federal Government. When Bush cut taxes, the receipts increased, meaning there was more revenue, but since there was increased spending on the Federal level at the same time, it didn't matter.

If only that was true. It could be but the tax cuts were centered on the already rich and they just used the savings to hole it away. If you raise taxes on the rich but let them write it off if they invest in their business, they hire more and economy for all picks up, like back in the 50s with Ike's top rate at 90%.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:53 PM
link   

So how many jobs and paychecks have you received from people more poor than you? I'm just curious how you will explain the fact you never have.

Most of them.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:56 PM
link   

originally posted by: HorusChristIf only that was true. It could be but the tax cuts were centered on the already rich and they just used the savings to hole it away. If you raise taxes on the rich but let them write it off if they invest in their business, they hire more and economy for all picks up, like back in the 50s with Ike's top rate at 90%.

Top rates don't really matter, what matters is the scale to get there and the percentage people are paying. Top rates and effective rates are not the same thing because your earnings in each bracket are taxed at a specific amount.

Lets take the 2015 tax table, which includes some handy shortcuts in the link I'm grabbing it from
www.irs.com...
Taxable Income Tax Rate
$0 to $9,225 10%
$9,226 to $37,450 $922.50 plus 15% of the amount over $9,225
$37,451 to $90,750 $5,156.25 plus 25% of the amount over $37,450
$90,751 to $189,300 $18,481.25 plus 28% of the amount over $90,750
$189,301 to $411,500 $46,075.25 plus 33% of the amount over $189,300
$411,501 to $413,200 $119,401.25 plus 35% of the amount over $411,500
$413,201 or more $119,996.25 plus 39.6% of the amount over $413,200

If you make $200,000 you're in the 33% bracket but 33% isn't your rate. You paid 10% on your first $9,225, 15% on your next $28,224, and so on. Your tax at $200,000 would be $49,605.92 or 24.8% which is far less than your bracket. Then there's deductions, rebates, and all the rest.

When we did the big reduction in the top marginal rate under Reagan taxes actually went up, because while the top rate went down many deductions were also removed which increased the tax rate for those who weren't high earners. Reagan was a big fan of lowering the top rate and compensating by doing what he called base broadening.

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 03:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

They need to cut spending to the bone and then cut taxes once they have secured the budget cuts they need. Government needs to stop growing and start shrinking and leave people alone.

What 'they' need to do is be able to fix the roads so goods and services can get from one place to another, providing jobs that pay taxes to fix the roads. What 'they' need to do is fix the schools so kids can be educated in the ways of society in order to contribute the betterment of society as a whole and get jobs in the modern economy that pay taxes to fix the schools. etc, etc, etc.

In short what 'they' need to do is to do what Government is supposed to do: "form a more perfect union, establish justice, insure domestic tranquility, provide for the common defense, promote the general welfare, and secure the blessings of liberty to ourselves and our posterity".

posted on Nov, 2 2015 @ 07:00 PM
link   

originally posted by: mbkennel

originally posted by: Quetzalcoatl14

This is what happens when you really start to believe that "government is the problem" and should be drowned in the bathtub. The oldsters didn't really truly believe that, but they're gone now, and it's the ones that they indoctrinated years ago who are running it. As a consequence, serious deep discussions of policy other than "deregulate & tax cuts for the rich" have now exited most Republican political consciousness---because belief in the necessity of actual effective policy constrained by facts of the world and laws of arithmetic presupposes that government has a legitimate purpose and must serve the needs of all.

Once upon a time, the Democratic party was the "mommy party" ("these people are hurting, we have to do something") and the Republican was the "daddy party" ("Well OK, but how are you going to pay for it, and remember there are bad people int he world who aren't on our side")

Now, the Democrats have to be the 'mommy party' & 'the daddy party' and Republicans have turned into "the crazy uncle Billy Jack party".

It's OK to be a conservative. It's also OK to be a liberal. It's not OK to be an anti-intellectual selfish blowhard.

Agreed. There are conservatives I respect.

What I am against is any effort to base policy for ALL of us, liberals, conservatives, and everything else, on either faith-based ideas or things not supported by any evidence. Even worse is pushing for policies that evidence shows only help a small minority and harm others, or do things like harm the environment. That kind of selfishness doesn't deserve any respect, nor should the public put up with those who push for such policies.

So then the key is, what does the weight of evidence say?

I have to say, they are right when they say "reality has a liberal bias." It's demonstrable that more liberal policies are supported by relevant research than are conservative ones.
edit on 2-11-2015 by Quetzalcoatl14 because: (no reason given)

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6 >>

join