It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Kansas Republicans forced to raise taxes after Tax Cut Failure

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:27 AM
link   
a reply to: mOjOm

A big problem is we are years into debt from overspending and facing a crisis if nothing is done .. which it's not.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

originally posted by: Metallicus

Why do you rely on the Government for anything? Only a juvenile expects someone else to take care of them.

An adult takes care of themselves.

What do you think Government taxes go toward exactly??? It's almost like you think they only spend it on Welfare and Government Programs to help poor people or something.

I think taxes go mostly towards killing people in foreign countries. I still don't understand why.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:59 AM
link   

originally posted by: OccamsRazor04
a reply to: mOjOm

A big problem is we are years into debt from overspending and facing a crisis if nothing is done .. which it's not.

Ya I mentioned that same thing earlier. Overspending is the absolute worst thing to do.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:03 AM
link   

I think taxes go mostly towards killing people in foreign countries. I still don't understand why.

Well, if you ask those doing the killing they'll tell you it's because somehow our natural resources ended up over in their country and we need to kill them to get it back. Something along those lines anyway.

I don't get it either.

That might be a good place to start the cutting back.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 03:13 AM
link   

originally posted by: mOjOm

Well, if you ask those doing the killing they'll tell you it's because somehow our natural resources ended up over in their country and we need to kill them to get it back. Something along those lines anyway.

I don't get it either.

That might be a good place to start the cutting back.

Agreed. I would rather they bomb US citizens with cash than anyone with bombs.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 03:16 AM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

That would be so cool!! I hope they nuke me in that case!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: muse7
After 30+ years the middle class and poor are still waiting for that wealth to trickle down.

For 30+years democrat/liberals have controlled our economy....and it has been on a down ward track all of those 30 years. America hasnt really had a middle class since the 80's

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:31 AM
link   
a reply to: Abysha

www.bls.gov...
Kansas shared the largest percentage of job growth in the US last month at 0.4%...

Just because the money isn't first filtered through the government's pockets doesn't make it somehow less tangible. Kansas needs to stay the course and, if their government needs to, make more cuts. With employment rising as it is, they can probably start with trimming some of the welfare programs right away.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 04:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: DBCowboy
a reply to: CB328

The problem isn't taxes. It's government spending.

No, the problem is Sam Brownback thinking that Ayn Rand's delusions somehow trump basic economic reality. He now has an 18% approval rating.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:39 AM
link   

originally posted by: FyreByrd
a reply to: DBCowboy

Spending cut - until there are no government services? That' the plan - and it's juvenile.

What's juvenile about spending wisely? Or are you someone who thinks government spending is perfect?

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 07:46 AM
link   
The problem is that Kansas cut their taxes, NOT the size of their government. They have a rather large state government apparatus with lots of state employees. There were several years under Kathleen Sebelius when the only real job growth in the state was government jobs. Until that growth shrinks, you can't significantly reduce your state budget.

So until the economy starts to grow enough, you need a state government small enough to handle the leaner years. That means less officials and less departments. Those cuts weren't made.

Now anyone who lives out here can tell you that the already developed parts of the state - Wichita and Overland Park/Johnson County are growing like gangbusters as are the college towns like Lawrence and Manhattan, but it takes time for that to really sink in. In the meantime, you have large parts of the state that are rural.

The state itself is legitimately at near full employment with many people up in the Kansas City area working across the state line from Missouri (like me).

The problem in the government is that you have big government types on both sides of the aisle. Everyone talks about how socially conservative and backward the state is, but they're so-called compassionate conservatives who never met a social program and government power they didn't like. So prying government power out of their paws is like taking tax revenue away from a liberal. In that, both sides of the legislature actually collude when they aren't arguing over who's running the government how.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:12 AM
link   

originally posted by: TheBulk
So how many jobs and paychecks have you received from people more poor than you? I'm just curious how you will explain the fact you never have.

Every single job and paycheck received has come from the poor and the less well off.

Ultimately they are the customers. Without them, there would be no businesses to employ you.

So again, every single one.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:18 AM
link   
I wish all govt agencies cut taxes and then only raised them as much as needed to cover the bills. Instead Democrats are raking in more taxes than ever and still can't balance a budget.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:24 AM
link   
Looks more like they cut taxes to fast and didn't adjust spending to compensate. They should have eased up on the throttle and not jammed on the brakes. These things take time to take effect.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 08:34 AM
link   
I believe the Artificial Intelligence we see in all of the movies, our conditioning to fear it in a way as in Terminator and Elysium and so on.....

Is an indication of the fear of those who know a religion-less and moral-less machine could probably do a better job than our human leaders could in taking care of people.

These tax cuts were implemented to allow those who supposedly create jobs, which they don't, to enrich themselves while mechanizing industries and costing people their jobs.

Your jobs (not all like so many believe anyway) didn't go to china, the mexicans wouldn't come here if they couldn't get work here.....It has nothing to do with cutting costs as government entities don't really spend tax dollars either. They pull money out of their asses.

Evolve or die.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 09:18 AM
link   

originally posted by: BritofTexas

So how many jobs and paychecks have you received from people more poor than you? I'm just curious how you will explain the fact you never have.

Every single job and paycheck received has come from the poor and the less well off.

Ultimately they are the customers. Without them, there would be no businesses to employ you.

So again, every single one.

DITTO!!!!

When I read his post, I was going to respond in exactly the same manner you just did. I was just reading through the rest of the thread first.

Then I came upon your "spot on" response to the question he posed.

Thanks!

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 01:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: dukeofjive696969
a reply to: TheBulk

How many jobs where sent over seas by big corporations in america.

But yea its the poor peoples fault.

Yeah it is the peoples 'fault'.

For wanting to have their cake, and eat it too.

The simple fact of business leaving this country is because it's cheaper to make goods, and services overseas, and shipped back here. Than it is to have those same products made here.

People are paying MORE for the labor to produces those goods, and services. Than what it actually costs to make them.

But hey why let reality get in the way of common sense. Let's demagogue corporations, and Republicans for doing what the LEFT has always wanted to do.

edit on 30-10-2015 by neo96 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: CB328
Big Republican tax cuts have failed to cause growth and raise revenues in Kansas to the tune of an almost half a billion dollars budget shortfall. The promises of economic boom from cutting taxes which would raise tax revenues has completely failed, which doesn't surprise all of us who knew that trickle-down economics was a gimic and smokescreen to cover up the rich getting richer. Now the Republican lawmakers were force to pass the biggest tax increase in state history.

www.bloomberg.com...

Do you know why cutting taxes doesn't raise revenue? There's two reasons
#1. All indications are that we're on the left side of a Laffer Curve.
#2. The one historical time where this did happen was under Reagan, and Reagan actually increased taxes substantially, him decreasing them is a myth perpetuated by the top marginal rate going down, but that rate decrease accompanied a lot of other taxes going up and loopholes disappearing. Reagan rose taxes 12 times in 8 years.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   

Who do you think purchases the services in your business? Do you think all of those people are rich or even better off than you? Buying your product is signing your paycheck and giving you a job.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 03:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: neo96
Yeah it is the peoples 'fault'.

For wanting to have their cake, and eat it too.

Right away I just have to point out that this is the dumbest phrase ever. I've never understood the reasoning behind it. Who the get's a cake knowing they won't eat it??? It's stupid. Nobody buys a cake just to look at it decompose in front of them.

The simple fact of business leaving this country is because it's cheaper to make goods, and services overseas, and shipped back here. Than it is to have those same products made here.

Yeah people, don't blame them for making good business decisions. All you have to do is undercut the Chinese sweat shops who work for 12 cents a day. Once you make it clear to your corporate masters that you'll work for them for 10 cents a day maybe they'll come back and give you the privilege of being their slave. You might have to remove all regulations though too so they have free access to resources and can pollute and destroy the environment but heck it's worth it right???

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join