It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What is a Troll ?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 01:19 AM
link   
Well im pretty sure I didnt make it up because he admitted to being a massive troll, countless times.

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:27 AM
link   
wow nice thread, enjoyable read

Thanks i am now more aware of the of what to watch out for
ta

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 07:41 AM
link   
Cool story,bro!
No just kidding OP, hte only way I have ever found to deal with trolls is to not feed them at all. This means to not give a troll any attention at all. Eventually the troll will not see his pursuit as fun and will go look for easier prey elsewhere.So remember kids DON'T FEED THE TROLLS!!!

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 11:30 PM
link   
Now that weve established exactly what a troll is, does anyone have any info on how to properly dispose of a dead troll?

posted on Apr, 19 2009 @ 11:54 PM
link   
Ah come on, get control of your emotions and reactions, people. Regardless of what anyone may MERELY have to SAY, ultimately it is up to each of US whether we allow ourselves to get all bent out of shape about something said or not. I like to think I have 100% control over myself and my emotions and reactions and nothing anyone can say will upset me if I don't feel like being upset. Ultimately, it is us, ourselves, that decide how we think and react to what we read and what others say. There are too many people today with thin skin and an inability to control themselves and their own reactions. Heck, any one of us could be considered a troll just for saying "what a great day it was today." Eventually someone will come along and take offense because they might have lost their job today and will want to know why YOU think THAT makes it such a great day today, ha. Seems lately anyone that posts a dissenting or disagreeing viewpoint is being called a troll, or a monster, or branded inconsiderate, or whatever. Seems like everyone wants everyone else to think like they think these days, and that's not only just wrong, but wishful thinking. Take control of your emotions and don't let others get to you so easily. Sorry, but sometimes it can be irresistible to stick your tongue out at someone just to watch then start to cry like a baby, ha. Yeah, I know, doing so may not be the right thing to do, but come on, it is kind of funny to see a grown "adult" react like a child over something so silly such as mere words.

Sticks and stones may break my bones, but words can never hurt me. Really, it's a good motto to live by.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I have seen too many threads disrupted or de-railed by very highly critical folks jumping on the original poster in all kinds of unpleasant ways. This includes everything from attacking typing/grammar, demanding immediate proof, insults, peronal attack, ”posted before claims” ... it goes on.....

I have several times been saddened (and complained to the admin) at the loss of an honest poster.

Any genuine experience tends to be incomplete . A real encounter with something beyond everyday life tends to be unplanned, and we are unprepared for it.
We do not have several cameras running, collected a gang of witnesses, picked up bags of artefacts... the day we see a UFO or alien or bigfoot when out walking the dog or going to work...
We miss so much good and genuine information because "trolls" and “others” verbally "beat up" a thread poster. I see it on here just about every day.

Disagreeing or questioning does not have to be, and should not be nasty & destructive!

We (ATS community) have got to get out of this - else ATS will die, because genuine posters of genuine experiences will not be willing to be ripped to shreds in order to tell their story....

We have to deal with this now – and encourage people who do post, to carry on telling their story, even where we express our personal disagreement.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:14 AM
link   
im a troll

dont know how or why but then again.. we are all trolls!

i troll the internet. ; D

and i need to say this in order for my post to be posted.. the submit button is a troll

; )

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 01:17 AM
link   

Originally posted by sjb5000
... demanding immediate proof ...

That's not such a bad thing to ask for. And, I wouldn't call asking for some proof as being a troll.

I recall a reply I submitted to this John fellow some years ago regarding his claims that the moon was like some kind of soul recycling center, and that the Twin Towers were taken out by holographic aircraft and space weapons, etc. I simply asked "Show us the STUFF that convinced you of these beliefs please, share with us your proof so that we too can believe or know for sure like you." His reply: "You're ignorant because you don't already know." Yeah, ha. It seemed like a simple and reasonable request to me.

Real trolls are not the only problem, so are liar liars and make-believers. Face it, a lot of humans lie, they lie for so many reasons, to gain attention, to sell a book, to dispel the truth, to cover up the truth, some are probably simply insane, others are simply gullible and will believe anything without a shred of proof. Sometimes, some claims are so ridiculous that you just can't let it go unchallenged.

I'm sure most of us are after the truth, but with so much bull floating about, how can we separate the bull from the truth without occasionally challenging some of these claims? It's like this whole UFO thang. So many would like to know the truth, but this proliferation of all the lies, reports from those that claim Chinese lanterns and weather balloons in the sky are really UFOs, etc., we'll never be able to see the truth through all the bull. Many UFO enthusiasts are in fact sabotaging their own efforts to discover the truth when they simply assume every UFO story is true and fail to demand some proof of these claims. I mean, it's one thing to wonder what those weird lights in the sky are .. and it's an entirely different thing when someone makes a crazy claim that what they saw was definitely a UFO from some alien world .. when they don't REALLY know that for sure. Liars attract trolls like s__t attracts flies.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:13 AM
link   
On the Echo Net, a BBS precursor to the Internet, Trolls were called TWITS, and the exact same problem was presented by them. Silence is the only appropriate response to Twits/Trolls, and surprisingly, at least way back then, sometimes they actually straightened up and became part of the community. Keep that in mind and let them change if they do. they aren't evil, they just have a stupid idea of what to do online.

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:23 AM
link   
Thank you for a great post!
I hope many people here will read it and take it to heart.
I try not to get pulled into squabbling but sometimes - I have to admit - I do.
I try not to make it a habit though!

Thanks again for a great thread.

Testing to imbed troll photo...
I can see I'll be needing it shortly!

img86.exs.cx...

Awwww it didn't work...

Hold on will try again...

[edit on 20-4-2009 by silo13]

posted on Apr, 20 2009 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by JAK

Can you post the IMG code so we don't have to download this to our own pictures to get the:

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e459ef2b67d.jpg[/atsimg]

Or is that the only way to do it?

Thankers!

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 12:55 AM
link   
Nice to know.I have seen it come up alot but never really knew what it was.Thanks for the info

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 01:25 AM
link   
reply to post by FallenFromTheTree

You forgot, "Oh rearry?" and "ORLY".

Thanks.

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 02:10 AM
link   
Having often been called a troll, and for good reason, I find the term somewhat of an achievement. It only becomes a game when someone is wound up enough to call you a troll, but then name calling never solved anything.

By posting such a message, you let the troll know that you know what he is, and that you are not going to get dragged into his twisted little hobby.

In most cases, the person designated troll did not intend to be a troll. They will have a viewpoint on a subject and will state that viewpoint regardless of offence. This is called free speech. I like may other "trolls" see absolutely no point in mincing words, and if that is the cause of offence, so what. You are not a troll until such a time that you say something someone finds offensive in some way, and it is not reasonable to expect one to know what that level is for everyone. There will always be a troll because there will always be thin skinned individuals allergic to criticism (constructive or otherwise).

And you cannot end a troll bashing thread without the obligatory Welcome To The Internet

[edit on 13-10-2009 by quackers]

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:52 AM
link   
Just could not resist

posted on Oct, 13 2009 @ 04:36 PM
link   
Well from my online experience a "troll" is
1. A person who does not agree with you and is right.
2. A person just trying to stir up an argument see Here
3. Anyone from the GFL
Name calling makes your arguments look weak, calling someone a troll for their point of view does not make you look smarter.

posted on Oct, 14 2009 @ 12:18 AM
link   

Dont feed the trolls.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/2a85a6ec93c9.jpg[/atsimg]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 12:17 AM
link   
DiS tHreAd sucKzx. Y'aLl sUckxxx at lyFe!

Sorry, I was in my troll mood.

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:00 AM
link   

Originally posted by patientobserver
Now that weve established exactly what a troll is, does anyone have any info on how to properly dispose of a dead troll?

This link is to the website I showed my Mother
when she was having her first troll experience,
and it helped a lot. The guy has a list of about
twenty types of "Flame warriors" including trolls.

flamewarriors.com...

I have found the site to be invaluable in giving a
little armor to people new to the experience of be-
ing trolled or flamed. That and it really helps lay
out the floura & fauna of some internet motives.
My personal favorite is Godzilla, all but extinct now.

flamewarriors.com...

You guys have no idea how good you have it now
that there are mods and people who can delete posts.
Back in the day, years of discussion could be wrecked
by just one month of a Godzilla strike.

[edit]
Oh, and I find that _this_ type is far more destruc-
tive than a mere Troll. And they seem to be grow-
ing in number. The "Evil Clown."

flamewarriors.com...

David Grouchy

[edit on 2-8-2010 by davidgrouchy]

posted on Aug, 2 2010 @ 01:12 AM
link   
reply to post by davidgrouchy