It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Huge Crack in The Earth Opens Up Yellowstone Bighorn Mountains

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+77 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:28 PM
link   
How about that most recent NLBS eh?

Despite "A recently-passed law in Wyoming [which] makes it illegal to do things like take photos, make sketches, write about how it, or even comment on it when on public lands...."

SNS Outfitter & Guides shared a photo of the gash on its Facebook over the weekend. An engineer told SNS that the crack was caused by a wet spring and is about 750 yards long by 50 yards wide.

From Worldtruth.tv

An engineer from Riverton, WY came out to shed a little light on this giant crack in the earth. Apparently, a wet spring lubricated across a cap rock. Then, a small spring on either side caused the bottom to slide out. He estimated 15 to 20 million yards of movement. By range finder, an estimate is 750 yards long and about 50 yards wide.

Oddly, as DAHB007 points out in the video below: there is no seismic activity reported regarding this seemingly massive shift near Yellowstone...

On a side note.... I wonder if the authorities will be looking to arrest the people responsible for recording and publishing this "illegal" material from inside Wyoming? /sarc
edit on PMq000000pmThursday00000010420 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Was just looking to see if this was posted.

I'd flag the thread but for some reason it won't let me I guess a star will have to do.

edit on 29-10-2015 by spamray because: added note

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:41 PM
link   
Seen this somewhere else. A geologist on the scene said it was due to water underneath eroding away the earth or something like that.
edit on 29-10-2015 by Tjoran because: (no reason given)

+9 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:47 PM
link   
Looks like what happens from upwelling, not due to collapse.

Its a fissure, not a sink hole.

+15 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:00 PM
link   
a reply to: intrptr

That is what's being reported as the cause, but regardless: it's still a massive crack opening up in the Earth. Wouldn't you think some sort of seismic read-out would come from activity on such a level as this?

After all we're talking a gash appearing -virtually over-night- that is

750 yards long and about 50 yards wide

Also, don't you find this, along with the timing of the new laws mentioned in the NLBS thread just a bit... unnerving?

I do.

edit on PMq000000pmThursday00000010420 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

+10 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:09 PM
link   
The thing about Yellowstone is it's constantly changing and that is what makes it such a magical place to visit.

I have been there 5 times over the past 10 years and can tell you that each time I have seen different geological events or results on each trip.

It's hard to imagine what it's like until you get there and actually hike through one of the valleys , Hayden or Lamar . Or until you push yourself on a back country hike. Or even until you hit one of the Geothermal springs.

I would be more worried if things like this were not happening at Yellowstone because that would indicate a change from the normal geothermal dance going on there.
edit on 29-10-2015 by opethPA because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:15 PM
link   
a reply to: opethPA

I envy your travels to the region, and as always Opeth rules!!!

That's a very good point you make about the constantly changing geography there, and I am indeed ignorant to it's true splendor. That said, however: someone felt this was significant enough to make it to the headlines. I don't aim to make this event seem any larger than it actually is, *except* to attempt the correlation with the NLBS thread and the recent ban on "data collection" in the state.

I do hope to visit the region myself in the near future, thanks for the first hand account.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Aqualung2012

There's rarely any seismic activity with these events (sinkholes, land slips and land cracks), such as the Michigan Land Crack. A large crack in the earth in the woods, do a Google search, I am on my phone or I'd link. The earth's crust is tearing. And this in an area of major magma movement, Yellowstone.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: Rezlooper

Much obliged, Rez. I honestly don't know if it would or not, but since DAHB00 brouth it into question, I felt it validated asking here as well. Again, thanks for the insight.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
If yellowstone wasnt in the US i would go there

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:02 PM
link   

"On a side note.... I wonder if the authorities will be looking to arrest the people responsible for recording and publishing this "illegal" material from inside Wyoming? /sarc"

Your 'sarcasm' tag at the end was probably proper but...
... in the end, may be more truth than smartassery

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Water and ice level mountains over time. Water is a powerful force and freezing and thawing even more powerful.

This is a fairly normal event. Geology 101 in fact.

+5 more 
posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:05 PM
link   

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Water and ice level mountains over time. Water is a powerful force and freezing and thawing even more powerful.

Lol. Here we go again. Normal on the scale of thousands of years, not normal for literally hundreds of events in the past 7 years.
edit on 29-10-2015 by Rezlooper because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:16 PM
link   

originally posted by: opethPA
The thing about Yellowstone is it's constantly changing and that is what makes it such a magical place to visit.

I have been there 5 times over the past 10 years and can tell you that each time I have seen different geological events or results on each trip.

It's hard to imagine what it's like until you get there and actually hike through one of the valleys , Hayden or Lamar . Or until you push yourself on a back country hike. Or even until you hit one of the Geothermal springs.

I would be more worried if things like this were not happening at Yellowstone because that would indicate a change from the normal geothermal dance going on there.

Thanks for making up my mind about where to go for my holiday next year
.I wasn't sure,but guess I'd better go to Yellowstone before she blows.How would you explain a hire car getting mauled by a bison though?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Rezlooper

originally posted by: Blaine91555

Lol. Here we go again. Normal on the scale of thousands of years, not normal for literally hundreds of events in the past 7 years.

Very good point... I don't know how many "first time in recorded history" reports I've heard in that short time-frame, spanning nearly every planetary study. No one can argue that things are ramping up around the globe, which is how these "individual" events gain so much of their weight. It's beyond coincidence, and nothing happens in complete isolation on Earth.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

edit on 29-10-2015 by LABTECH767 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:59 PM
link   

originally posted by: Aqualung2012

That is what's being reported as the cause, but regardless: it's still a massive crack opening up in the Earth. Wouldn't you think some sort of seismic read-out would come from activity on such a level as this?

After all we're talking a gash appearing -virtually over-night- that is

750 yards long and about 50 yards wide

Also, don't you find this, along with the timing of the new laws mentioned in the NLBS thread just a bit... unnerving?

I do.

Me too. if upwelling, that could mean something is pushing up from underneath. You added a pic, thats scary looking. It reminds me of what fissures in Hawaii look like. Difference is in Hawaii, they spew lava.

Maybe the warning to not take pics is because these are appearing in more than one spot. Maybe they are monitoring quake activity, that should be easy enough to check. Or is it?

The Loma Prieta Quake in 1989 was over an "extinct" volcano in California. We went up to ground zero the next day, there were areas that were pushed up, with swelling cracks to show here and there. Nothing so big as that one.

While we were driving around we spotted a drill rig, they were drilling into the ground water on top of the mountain. The guys on the well said they were detecting sulfur in the ground water, a sure sign of deep volcanic activity associated with the quake.

Would be interesting to spot similar drilling rigs around Yellow Stone, they would be doing the same thing.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Those were my thoughts too: That a "pushing" trend as opposed to a "collapsing" trend would be a lot less desirable.

In your (more experienced) opinion, could this apparent rise in water pressure be indicative of rising water temperatures in the area? Or could it point to a general weakening of the rock formations, and if so... why?

Also, I feel like the terminology used in the source articles is almost dismissive, considering the scope and location of this new fissure.

Of course, every attempt should be made by scientists to avoid coming across as alarmist; but to simply state that: "... a wet spring lubricated across a cap rock. Then, a small spring on either side caused the bottom to slide out." seems quite minimalist to me, albeit factual.

Aside from that short and rather benign description of the movement, there is no "comforting" rhetoric present. I mean, it's just bland... there is no confirming or denying any possible relation to Yellowstone, even though that's naturally what anyone reading the report wants to know.

Something to keep an eye on to be sure -but alas- here again we find the troubling fact that "keeping an eye on it" seems to have just been outlawed, literally!

edit on PMq000000pmThursday00000010720 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:52 PM
link   
Ahh this is more like it:

This was the text body of one Facebook re-post on the topic of "the Gash,"

"With a large coronal hole incoming (earth facing), Super moon, incoming Asteroid 2015 TB145 (due to flyby at 300,000 miles from earth) and its trailing meteors it will certainly be interesting and when I say "Interesting" I mean scientifically that an uptick of quakes, meteor showers, and volcanic instability will be quite present. The effects have already started on the West coast and Northwest with a rise in seismic activity and an extremely large crack opening in the Earth not far from Yellowstone. Will it be a spooky Halloween experience or just a great scientific shifting Phenomenon?"
- Jerry Odom

Now I'm not sure if Jerry Odom the boxer is a qualified authority on the subject, or if there is a Jerry Odom in the scientific community I'm unaware of... but there's the doom-talk I was waiting for. The grand lump sum as it were.

This quote is virtually useless, but it did remind me of the recent big EQs we've seen in Afghanistan as well as in Vanatu and Japan and others.

Some of us on ATS have a tendency to want to lump all these things together, and that's exactly the spirit in which "Mr. Odom" comments above.
edit on PMq000000pmThursday00000010720 by Aqualung2012 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:55 PM
link   

Something to keep an eye on to be sure -but alas- here again we find the troubling fact that "keeping an eye on it" seems to have just been outlawed, literally!

I know, suspicious. I didn't notice that conjunction and hand't seen the pics before. I was on that other thread about outlawing Yellowstone but didn't make the connection before you mentioned it. Thanks for bringing it.

Considered alone it probably means little. Faults move and mountains rise and fall, the nearness to Yellow Stone is more concerning.

People there will bring us any more they find in the area. Combined with quake data or water pressure, there may be more warnings.

Still a hella big fissure. Super volcanos can make new vents, away from their caldera. If there is any eruption no matter how small or precursor, it will be all over the news.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join