It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China abandons one-child policy after 35 years

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:41 AM
link   
www.theguardian.com...

China has scrapped its one-child policy, allowing couples to have two children for the first time in more than three decades, official media reported on Thursday.

The announcement was made at the close of a party meeting focused on financial reforms and maintaining growth at a time of heightened concerns over the country’s economy.

China will “fully implement a policy of allowing each couple to have two children as an active response to an ageing population”, the party said in a statement published by Xinhua news agency.

Came across this in my trending list on Facebook, hopefully it wasn't posted here yet.

The one-child policy is... Now was possibly the most controversial laws we know of. My thoughts on this are on one hand, we won't be hearing about abortions of female babies... Maybe they can fix the gender disparity in a few years. On the other, with China being aggressive military wise of late, this feels like the country is bulking up on expendable labor and soldiers in anticipation for... Something.

Thoughts?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:45 AM
link   
a reply to: TheToastmanCometh

The government should have no role in legislating ANY reproductive rights.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:53 AM
link   

Sorry Toastman, already posted.. www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:59 AM
link   

Thoughts? Considering the grotesque problem of worldwide overpopulation, this strikes me as terrible. The timing is awful. Tells me the Chinese have no care whatsoever about the environment.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:03 PM
link   

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I don't think governments should have "Laws" however if we are going to be a civilization and not animals we need to reduce the human population as the Earth cannot sustain us as it is. Maybe we should just teach people (high school) of benefits to humanity to be conservative with the size of Families rather than make laws.

This Earth would be awesome place with about half the population it has now. More is not better.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:25 PM
link   
a reply to: Xeven

Society as it has been constructed/evolved to be - is overpopulated. However, I think an unadulterated planet or more humane society could support billions and billions. That is fantasy though.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:50 PM
link   
Wow this is huge news! and honestly i'm not quite sure how I feel about it. I understand that there is a big problem with gender preference of their child, but honestly, the population of humans doesn't need to grow at an even more alarming rate. This actually could be quite detrimental if a country with 1.3 billion people start to multiply twice as fast as they have been.

Good for them for the change, but still, very scary.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:54 PM
link   

They should just loosen traffic laws and safety standards - that should keep population growth in check.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:07 PM
link   
The first thing I thought was if you wanted a war with the US you'd need a large generation of youth to replace the millions lost in a war of that scale. Either that or they intend to take us over by immigration lol...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:18 PM
link   

originally posted by: Xeven

originally posted by: Benevolent Heretic

I don't think governments should have "Laws" however if we are going to be a civilization and not animals we need to reduce the human population as the Earth cannot sustain us as it is. Maybe we should just teach people (high school) of benefits to humanity to be conservative with the size of Families rather than make laws.

This Earth would be awesome place with about half the population it has now. More is not better.

How can the earth not sustain us? The entire population of earth would fit inside texas, there are more than enough resources.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:21 PM
link   
There is plenty of food and plenty of space on this rock for our numbers to grow.

China just needed to control their population growth inside cities. Imagine how deep China could be if there were no quotas?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:30 PM
link   
Is this just coincidence that the UK has done a couple of multi-billion deals with China? How many Chinese migrants can we take from their over-spill population? Well I like Chinese food anyway.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:01 PM
link   

originally posted by: cenpuppie
There is plenty of food and plenty of space on this rock for our numbers to grow.

Sure there is.

You gotta link to back that "science" up?

new topics

top topics

join