It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Seventh Grader Says Teacher Told Class: ‘God is a myth’

page: 4
<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:54 PM
link   
a reply to: AndyMayhew

Some polytheists don't deny that any god/goddess/power exists ... just because they favor or follow one or the other.

Christians are hardly the only offenders in the "our God is tops" contest though, LOL.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:59 PM
link   

And I pointed out that the myths are not taught as myths because of the gods or goddesses but because they explain the occurrence of natural phenomena that we now know better as to how it occurs.

So to teach the creation myth if you prefer would be valid except that too many people on all sides of the issue would screech about it for various reasons.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:33 PM
link   

originally posted by: ketsuko

And I pointed out that the myths are not taught as myths because of the gods or goddesses but because they explain the occurrence of natural phenomena that we now know better as to how it occurs.

So to teach the creation myth if you prefer would be valid except that too many people on all sides of the issue would screech about it for various reasons.

Which creation myth?

There are hundreds. Each equally valid. Thats the point.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:53 PM
link   
Yup and a lot of them have striking similarities lots have to do with several ages of man,the flood, angry gods, man made from mud.

Most of the creation myths I've seen are just a retelling of the Epic of Gilgamesh moulded to suit the time period and culture of the people.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:17 PM
link   

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I disagree. A publicly funded education system is not a place to tell children what they believe is wrong that what their parents teach them is wrong, it's not a place to children they should believe in anything either. I don't like religion either, that's why I choose not to practice one. That freedom to choose is precious.

Excellent point, I should've added that the teacher should've got promotion if they simply said that there isn't actually any scientific evidence that points to the existence of God.

Nor is there any scientific evidence that disproves the existence of God. This is probably why Kali (our OP) said this discussion should be left out of the classroom entirely. Atheism is just as much establishment of a religion as Judaism or any other religion. It is, in the end, an opinion.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:28 PM
link   
Teacher should keep her stupid opinion and her commentary on religion and beliefs out of her teaching. How unprofessional and classless. What an awful teacher. Classic example of a terminally-obtuse heteronymous moral agent.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:47 PM
link   
Scientific evidence proves things that exist, not that things don't exist. For the humpteenth thousandth time.

Burden on proof is on the claimant. I encourage anyone to prove that gods exist.

(Not here, that's off-topic. Link your thread.)

To call "lack of belief" a religion is either ignorant, dishonest or both.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 05:50 PM
link   

originally posted by: rukia
Teacher should keep her stupid opinion and her commentary on religion and beliefs out of her teaching. How unprofessional and classless. What an awful teacher. Classic example of a terminally-obtuse heteronymous moral agent.

I disagree. They're not an awful teacher. The comment was out of place in the public venue.

Also, note that the little girl didn't tell the truth.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:17 PM
link   
Op, how can you say god is an "opinion you share"? This "teacher" or "curriculum" has no bussines even bringing this/that question up. I am under the impression. There is this magical/mythical line between "church and state". If we can't praise him in our schools. They shouldn't be allowed to bash him or hypothesize he doesn't exist... They have opinions. Believers do not. You know, or you don't. If you don't, they call that agnostic...doubt is the devil's best weapon..

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 06:21 PM
link   

originally posted by: Gryphon66
Scientific evidence proves things that exist, not that things don't exist. For the humpteenth thousandth time.

Burden on proof is on the claimant. I encourage anyone to prove that gods exist.

Gryphon what you are saying simply isn't true. Just because something hasn't been proven by mainstream science doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't true. If that were the case then nothing would exist until proven or discovered. Planets couldn't exist until discovered, germs wouldn't make people sick because we haven't noticed them yet and smoking wouldn't cause cancer. Many people can see the effect of God in their own lives and the world. Just because it hasn't been quantified scientifically for you doesn't mean something doesn't exist.

Also, God has already been proven to the satisfaction of many people that have experienced IT first hand as well as those close to them that can see the positive transformation. Simply because something hasn't been proven to your satisfaction doesn't mean it hasn't been proven to mine (through my own experiences) or that of others on ATS.

Finally, just because something is irrational to you doesn't mean that it is irrational to others folks. You don't have a monopoly of reasoned, rational thinking. There are many logical, intelligent people who have a firm belief in God.

Now, carry on...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:20 PM
link   
a reply to: ketsuko

It is, at least in my opinion, the next logical step. Particularly with the high level of immigration the US is going to experience over the next 35 years. According to one report I heard, (no cite available), the US will take in another 135 Million immigrants. The current system of education simply isn't sustainable.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 07:31 PM
link   
Most of the things I've learned from teachers have turned out to be wrong...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:32 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Gryphon66

Gryphon what you are saying simply isn't true. Just because something hasn't been proven by mainstream science doesn't mean it doesn't exist or isn't true. If that were the case then nothing would exist until proven or discovered. Planets couldn't exist until discovered, germs wouldn't make people sick because we haven't noticed them yet and smoking wouldn't cause cancer. Many people can see the effect of God in their own lives and the world. Just because it hasn't been quantified scientifically for you doesn't mean something doesn't exist.

Also, God has already been proven to the satisfaction of many people that have experienced IT first hand as well as those close to them that can see the positive transformation. Simply because something hasn't been proven to your satisfaction doesn't mean it hasn't been proven to mine (through my own experiences) or that of others on ATS.

Finally, just because something is irrational to you doesn't mean that it is irrational to others folks. You don't have a monopoly of reasoned, rational thinking. There are many logical, intelligent people who have a firm belief in God.

Now, carry on...

I have no idea what you're evangelizing about; perhaps you should actually read my post that you responded to.

I made no claims about gods.

I mentioned scientific evidence (it proves things).

I stated that those who make a claim are responsible for proving it.

I stated that to call atheism which simply means "no belief in gods" a religion is ignorant (one doesn't understand what the word means) or dishonest (one is intentionally ignoring what the word means) or both.

Beyond that I can't help you; this thread is not about the existence of gods, and I don't care even a little whit about what you think about me.

edit on 20Thu, 29 Oct 2015 20:37:06 -050015p0820151066 by Gryphon66 because: -is

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:40 PM
link   
a reply to: Vasa Croe

Well said! Keep your religious intolerance, hate, phobic, and bigotry out of our "public" seperation of "church and state", tax funded by everyone, ...schools! I agree with you! How dare they?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:10 PM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

I agree it was a very inappropriate question on an 'exercise' of this type but I do wonder if the 'broohaha' would be so hysterical is the subject used was global warming.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:03 PM
link   
We really don't know what happened in that classroom or how the teacher handled the lesson. We have the account of a twelve year old filtered through her religious mother; an account which is apparently not substantiated by other students in the classroom.

As you can see from discussions here and elsewhere there are plenty of adults who don't really listen to what is being said when they decide their religion is being questioned.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:39 PM
link   

originally posted by: DelMarvel
We really don't know what happened in that classroom or how the teacher handled the lesson. We have the account of a twelve year old filtered through her religious mother; an account which is apparently not substantiated by other students in the classroom.

As you can see from discussions here and elsewhere there are plenty of adults who don't really listen to what is being said when they decide their religion is being questioned.

The teacher is a Christian. I'm sure she has a bit of a different attitude toward some of her "brothers and sisters" now ... but, as the school administration made clear, any comments about the veracity of God and/or religion in a public school by public school representatives is ill-considered. It's actually unconstitutional but definitely ill-considered as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:02 PM
link   

originally posted by: sHuRuLuNi
a reply to: Kali74

I have been told this for 12 years in my school ... constantly. We were even threatened to get BEATEN if we attended any religious courses after school or similar.

Meh ...

Only made me research God even more. Praise be to Him.

Hmmm, why do I think you are lying?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:09 PM
link   

originally posted by: Metallicus

originally posted by: Zcustosmorum

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Zcustosmorum

I disagree. A publicly funded education system is not a place to tell children what they believe is wrong that what their parents teach them is wrong, it's not a place to children they should believe in anything either. I don't like religion either, that's why I choose not to practice one. That freedom to choose is precious.

Excellent point, I should've added that the teacher should've got promotion if they simply said that there isn't actually any scientific evidence that points to the existence of God.

Nor is there any scientific evidence that disproves the existence of God. This is probably why Kali (our OP) said this discussion should be left out of the classroom entirely. Atheism is just as much establishment of a religion as Judaism or any other religion. It is, in the end, an opinion.

Atheists don't believe in something. Therefore it's the opposite of religion. I'm agnostic and I don't believe in Jesus or the Easter Bunny or anything. I worship nothing, I go to no religious services, I do not pray. Religion plays no part in my life. How can that be a religion? How can the absence of something establish that very something? Sounds pretty ignorant.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 12:01 AM
link   
a reply to: Logman

Oh - you believe (worship) something - money, science or gasp yourself.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3    5  6 >>

join