It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Texas Seventh Grader Says Teacher Told Class: ‘God is a myth’

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: sHuRuLuNi

Well that illuminates the situation more and makes it more believable. I'm sorry that atheism was forced on you like that.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:26 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

see my reply above. do not judge without all the info.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   
a reply to: Kali74

Surely teachers are educated on WHY these types of statements shouldn't be made in the classroom setting.

Just like sex, and telling kids not to hit each other - respecting their beliefs and cultures should be a priority. The teacher sounds like an idiot.

It's healthy to have conversations about religion, but to shut a 12 year old down for saying they are a believer? That's not her place - it's just wrong

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Many of the worlds religions of old have been dubbed myths by christians, maybe it's time the shoe goes on the other foot, eh??

That's the original thought process that lead me down the path of no longer believing that stuff. I started learning about Greek mythology, Roman mythology, and other stuff. Then when I found out it was their actual religious beliefs, it got me wondering, what makes those false, yet this one supposedly true?? It's just as silly sounding on paper. Instead of many gods doing many jobs, it's one god doing them all.

So how is christianity any different than the other religions that have been turned to myth?? Because you believe it??

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Here's more info.

District Sides with Teacher

Katy ISD has sided with one of its teachers, following controversy over a critical thinking assignment that involved religion.
"In the investigation those assertions were not corroborated by the other students. Was the activity graded? It was not graded. Was it 40 percent of their grade? Were the students told they had to deny God? No one corroborated that, at all."

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:29 AM
link   
I had all the info you have given so far read every word you typed.

Tell me what country and I might believe you.

edit on 29-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:30 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos

Albania,
Montenegro (formerly under Yugoslavia).

Oh, I can even give you the Facebook Link of my school principal. He is still very much alive

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:34 AM
link   

if you scroll down a bit further...

The teacher is distraught by this incident, as some commentary has gone as far as to vilify her without knowing her, her Christian faith, or the context of the classroom activity. Still, this does not excuse the fact that this ungraded activity was ill-conceived and because of that, its intent had been misconstrued. As a result, the activity will no longer be used by the school, and appropriate personnel action will be taken.

Won't someone please think of the children? freaking Lovejoys and their mountains and molehills.

edit on 29-10-2015 by Thecakeisalie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:37 AM
link   

The teacher was wrong. When a substitute teacher started quizzing my daughter (when she was in the fourth grade) about what church we go to and asking if she believed in God, that was wrong too. I had a (ah ha ah ha ha) Come To Jesus Meeting with the school about that.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:42 AM
link   
Star and Flag.
I agree with your assessment.
Publicly funded schools should not indoctrinate students in religious matters... period.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
That's fine I don't social media at all. This forum the only thing I've signed up for online ever.

I thought Yugoslavia had/has a large Muslim following with a catholic minority. Could be wrong, who am I to say I've only ever read about it never been there.

Sorry you weren't aloud to pratice your faith.

To add to the topic I think the teach overstepped quite a bit. God is a very real thing to many people so she should have took the out the kids provided with God being both fact and opinion. People will ultimately figure out what they want to believe in.

edit on 29-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:43 AM
link   
I have to agree with the teacher that the statement: "There is a God" is a myth, not an opinion and not a fact.

Myth (Primary definition):

A traditional story, especially one concerning the early history of a people or explaining some natural or social phenomenon, and typically involving supernatural beings or events.

Source

Opinion (Primary definition):

A view or judgment formed about something, not necessarily based on fact or knowledge:

Source

The statement "There is a God" is based on the traditional story concerning the early history of a people. It is not strictly an opinion, although each individual can certainly have an opinion on whether there is or is not a God. But that statement by itself is based on the myth, not the opinions.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

I'm an atheist. I'm also an anti-theist which means I think the world would be a better place if no one believed in God. With that said I can't support what this teacher did. Bringing up God at all in a classroom should only be done if it's in a class that is either about religion or is reading a piece of religious literature for discussion (I remember reading the Epic of Gilgamesh and Noah's Flood story and getting to read them side by side in an English class).

It was a bad idea to bring this up as an example and drag the class down into a discussion on religion. With that being said I don't think the teacher should face any harsh consequences, just a warning not to do it again, it isn't as if this was indoctrination that was ongoing in the class.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:47 AM
link   

You grew up in the USSR?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:54 AM
link   
a reply to: Open_Minded Skeptic

Well, if you're going to get picky, and define the words...

I see your point and agree.

But it looks like the child told some whoppers to her parents... The teacher is actually a Christian.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:02 AM
link   

originally posted by: sHuRuLuNi

originally posted by: Athetos

Albania,
Montenegro (formerly under Yugoslavia).

Oh, I can even give you the Facebook Link of my school principal. He is still very much alive

I apologize, I assumed you were American and I shouldn't have done that.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:04 AM
link   
a reply to: Thecakeisalie

I did read that, my point was to have a discussion about what does and doesn't belong in public school settings. I chose Social Issues and not News for a reason.
edit on 10/29/2015 by Kali74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:09 AM
link   
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

I don't think it matters whether the teacher is Christian or not, it's not her place to challenge the religious beliefs of students even though she is correct that it is opinion.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:10 AM
link   
I don't see anything wrong with the statement. There are plenty of teachers who have the opposite opinion. It wasn't a class being taught to prove God was a myth.

I think kids should be able to have theology and philosophy in class athiesm included in philosophy or theology (as a counter).

Through the exploration of those subjects you would discuss the nature of morality and ethics. I would prefer my son be exposed anthropologically to theology and philosophy so he could make up his own mind and find the wisdom or superstitions that resonate with him.

It doesn't do us any good to avoid morality and ethics with kids. We got hyper sensitive to religion but it could be replaced with philosophies exploration of the subject.

An honest respectful debate about whether or not God exists doesn't bother me in the least. A teacher should be able to guide students to debate with respect and examine fallacy and truth. It would be better than having Christians and Atheists being rude and using as hominem attacks all the time.

Hitchins and Craig had an epic debate for instance. It elevated both sides of the argument to narrow down fallacies.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:14 AM
link   

originally posted by: Kali74
a reply to: Benevolent Heretic

...it's not her place to challenge the religious beliefs of students even though she is correct that it is opinion.

Agreed. But none of the other students corroborated the little girl's story that her faith was challenged.

I don't think God should have been on the questionnaire at all. And they have abandoned that worksheet.

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join