It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

China Will Replace One-Child Policy With Two-Child Policy: State Media

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 09:35 AM
link   

China will officially end its longstanding one-child policy and allow couples to have two children, state media reported.

The policy was first implemented in 1980 as a means of curbing the country's rapidly growing population. Chinese families who disobey the policy can be subject to large fines.

China first announced changes to the law in 2013, allowing couples to have two children if one of the parents was an only child. Activists have campaigned against the policy in recent years amid fears that country's aging population will leave huge gaps in the workforce.

China Will Replace One-Child Policy With Two-Child Policy: State Media

Human rights groups have also opposed the policy over allegations that it has led to forced birth control and abortions. The phenomenon was highlighted last month after a Chinese newspaper reported that one woman was being pressured into having an abortion when eight months pregnant her second child.

Apparently China is updating its one child policy to a two child policy due to claims of forced birth control and forced abortions. It's been in the works since 2013. This is some cool news. Maybe now Chinese people won't be so gung-ho about having only boys. Plus they are maintaining the child cap so as not to overgrow their population again. I mean, I don't really agree with a child cap, but I can see why China implemented it. Hopefully this new policy will cut down on the sexism surrounding it though.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:28 AM
link   
Well after WW3 starts from the South China Sea dispute they will need to replace their ranks. Could they be expecting to lose a significant amount of people?

a reply to: Krazysh0t

edit on 29-10-2015 by Athetos because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 10:33 AM
link   
a reply to: Athetos

That's a lot of assumptions you got going on there. What makes you think the South China Sea dispute will result in WW3? It hasn't yet.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:44 AM
link   

originally posted by: Krazysh0t

That's a lot of assumptions you got going on there. What makes you think the South China Sea dispute will result in WW3? It hasn't yet.

It will not. Limited one-sided wars are good for business, world wars, not so great. Too many unknown variables.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 11:47 AM
link   
a reply to: jmlima

Yea I agree. WWIII isn't even close to happening. The tensions just aren't there. Plus the 1st world has discovered that wars are FAR more profitable when they are fought as proxy wars.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:46 PM
link   
Yea I don't seriously think ww3 will result from the dispute just thought I'd toss the idea out there. Strange they would abandon the long standing policy they still have just as many mouths to feed as ever and no extra room.

I just feel that it's about more then making their people happy. Why? No clue just feel that way.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:19 PM
link   

They aren't abandoning it. They are just modifying it a bit so that it will cut down on the rampant sexism that pervades the policy. Now if a Chinese couple's first child is a girl and they REALLY wanted a boy to keep the family name going, they get another shot to try.
edit on 29-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:20 PM
link   
Wow this is huge news! and honestly i'm not quite sure how I feel about it.

I understand that there is a big problem with gender preference of their child, but honestly, the population of humans doesn't need to grow at an even more alarming rate. This actually could be quite detrimental if a country with 1.3 billion people start to multiply twice as fast as they have been.

Good for them for the change, but still, very scary.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:32 PM
link   

That's what I was thinking. They've always been so strict on the one child policy, why change now? Unless they are expecting war and the need to repopulate after.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:33 PM
link   
a reply to: Ghost147

I thought so too. I was kind of surprised that not many people were paying attention to the thread.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:37 PM
link   
I wonder if this means they will now kill girls two at a time?

I get the feeling that many in the usa admire the practices of the Chinese in regards to child rearing.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 01:38 PM
link   
a reply to: deadeyedick

I imagine that your little snarky remark here isn't even close to how Americans behave. Abortion isn't the same as slaughtering a child after it is born because it is the wrong gender.
edit on 29-10-2015 by Krazysh0t because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:32 PM
link   

Nope they like to kill girls out of the womb.

eta
www.lifenews.com... s-killed-in-china-where-are-the-feminists/

I bet they like to kill em in the womb too

It does seem weird to kill babies out of the womb and then raise the limit on babies all together.

edit on 29-10-2015 by deadeyedick because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:46 PM
link   

If you had read my OP there was a big problem with forced abortions.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:52 PM
link   

OK I reread it.

Now do you think they would kill two sisters at once?

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 03:18 PM
link   

Maybe. When you have a cap on the number of children you can have there is always bound to be a family that will try to get exactly what they want by extending the few chances they have. I already said that I don't like this policy, but I DO think it is going to be worlds better than the previous one.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
Maybe a better way of putting it is that just maybe now they will stop killing post womb girls.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Well regardless of their reasoning it's a step in the right direction. They have several generations of males that will never find a mate because there simply arnt any there.

If it reduces forced abortion I am all for it.

posted on Oct, 30 2015 @ 03:56 AM
link   

originally posted by: Athetos
Well regardless of their reasoning it's a step in the right direction. They have several generations of males that will never find a mate because there simply arnt any there.

If it reduces forced abortion I am all for it.

Alas, it has little to do with that, but with a more pragmatic fact that China's population is ageing and this fact fact has got serious economical implications for a country that want to turn from being dependant on external consumption of their goods into internal consumption of the manufactured goods.

new topics

top topics

join