It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Katy Perry's "Part Of Me" music video...promoting conformity and selling out as 'cool'?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:57 PM
link   
American culture is hitting rock bottom and there are signs that it's about to fall through the floor. Have you seen Katy Perry's "Part Of Me" music video? Is she trying to promote conformity and selling out as 'cool'?

www.youtube.com...

Let's put the video above in historical perspective. In my experience, when generation X thought of joining the US military, the 'cool' perspective for them was Metallica's "One."

www.youtube.com...

For the baby boomers, the 'cool' perspective for them when they thought of joining the US military was Black Sabbath's "War Pigs."

www.youtube.com...

How far have we fallen, generation Y? You can't blame the whole generation because of one pop artist's view but my purpose in this thread is to consider the changing times which are manifested through pop culture. Katy Perry's "Part Of Me" music video expresses something that is considered acceptable on some level by a huge number of generation Y or else it wouldn't exist.

The US military has never been more overtly evil than it is now:

Can US soldiers (even US citizens) still imagine they're on the 'good side'?

How can it even be thought of that anyone's idea of 'coolness' is to give themselves away to that monstrosity?

"Military men are just dumb, stupid animals to be used as pawns in foreign policy." - Henry Kissinger

Is it 'cool' to be thought of like that, to be treated like that? If you don't recognize morality as a real thing that's your choice. But, how has a total lack of personal dignity come to be considered 'cool'?

And how could total conformity (such as what's depicted in Katy Perry's "Part Of Me" music video) ever be thought of as being 'cool' by anyone?

I cringe when I think of what the generation after generation Y will consider to be 'cool'...
edit on 28-10-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:03 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

Welcome to the brainwashed millennial generation.

"Woo woo woo" (siren noises) PC Police!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:14 PM
link   
Not everyone who joins the military wants to be in combat. For many young people it is a way out. Some people are going for other reasons like trying to get to collage somehow and enter into positions other than senseless war.

The Katy Perry song really sucks and I don't know what's wrong with kids these days and their taste level in music.
The message isn't too bad, but I certainly wouldn't want a daughter of mine killing people or being drafted one day.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:15 PM
link   
This one is no worse than her drunken orgy blackout drunk song.
Just what I want my little girl listening to

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:33 PM
link   
I'm not seeing what you're saying. It's a video about a woman channeling her hurt and anger. Using the military was just one way of showing her determination not to let him bring her down. She's saying he might have hurt her, but he can't take away who she is. She's strong. She's a warrior. And all that jazz.
edit on 10/28/2015 by Klassified because: eta

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:42 PM
link   

originally posted by: Bluntone22
This one is no worse than her drunken orgy blackout drunk song.
Just what I want my little girl listening to

Katy Perry is 31 years old. I don't know why she's thought of as being a teen. Possibly it's because that's how she markets herself. When Madonna was about to turn 31 years old she released the "Like a Prayer" album which was entirely adult music:

wiki/Like_a_Prayer_(album)

That's just another example of how things have changed. Katy Perry's still doing teen-oriented music in her thirties. How depressing.

originally posted by: peppycat
Not everyone who joins the military wants to be in combat. For many young people it is a way out.

And not everyone that joins the Italian mafia or the Japanese yakuza wants to kill people. At this point, the biggest difference I see between the US military and other organized crime is the fact that the US military is sanctioned and supported by the US government.

originally posted by: Klassified
I'm not seeing what you're saying. It's a video about a woman channeling her hurt and anger. Using the military was just one way of showing her determination not to let him bring her down. She's saying he might have hurt her, but he can't take away who she is. She's strong. She's a warrior. And all that jazz.

It's art. You can take the whole thing as symbolism if you want to.

I'm examining what is overtly stated in this case although I won't deny any potential symbolic meaning in the video.

Look at what is said on the surface: conformity is her salvation, selling out is cool

I think that's undeniable.
edit on 28-10-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:47 PM
link   
While there could be number of explanations for many of these mainstream idol stars lyrics, videos, ppl take em on their own terms but it is mine and many others opinion that these idol stars are been used to promote mind control programming, demonic mantras and other ritualistic chants. There are allot of proves but one must be open for being awakened which could be really tough deal for many.
I do not listen these mind controllers anymore, because i do not consider em as musicians anymore and find em rather disgusting, disturbing even, since it affects the youth quite widely nowdays and alters their growth to lower their own self etc..

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:38 PM
link   
Thanks for the message, young americans (bubble gum age) need to hear it. Sadly they aren't here, they're watching that recruiting ad by Katy Perry.

For the baby boomers, the 'cool' perspective for them when they thought of joining the US military was Black Sabbath's "War Pigs."

Most definitely an anti war song.

Rage against the Machine.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 09:19 PM
link   
It's not the worst thing I've ever seen... But really? You're just gonna up and join the military because you're flustered and angry about breaking up? Sounds like a rash and stupid decision. Maybe there's not an agenda behind this but I doubt it. Either way it's a stupid video and you know some of the girls that see that are gonna be influenced by it.

Some of them worship that lady like a god. I can see it now, "mommy I want to join the army like Katy Perry!" a reply to: Profusion

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:04 PM
link   
I think HST described the music business best....

"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs. There's also a negative side."

Music producers have rooms full of nerds testing the marketing waters. Perry is just a pawn in their game. Her father Rev. Hudson thinks she is Satanic.
edit on 28-10-2015 by olaru12 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:21 PM
link   
a reply to: Profusion

she wouldnt last boot camp and talking any even the easy ones

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 12:30 AM
link   
Before I say anything what generation am I, I'm confused? I was born in 85 this Gen x shizz confuses me

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:23 AM
link   
I thought the video was about a girl who was in a bad relationship and was tired of feeling trapped without a boyfriend and she needed to move on with her life. So she joined the marine corps to get away from her situation. She became a marine. Something she felt proud of that no one could take away from her. I thought it was a great song and video. It wasnt about conformity at all it was about doing something in your life instead of moping around and blaming other people for your problems she did something with herself. Something more people need to do in this world instead of being whiney brain dead losers.

new topics

top topics

join