It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

how can i change my bios settings to boot from disc?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:33 PM
link   
can anyone help? im trying to change my bios to boot from a disc because i want to install(or at least try) linux mint.
i had to take the long way to get into the bios cause hitting esc, f1, f2 during startup didnt work.
i did get in with this path
settings->change pc settings->update and recovery->restart->troubleshoot->advanced->uefi->restart
then i was able to get into the bios.
my problem now is i dont see an option to change it to boot from a disc.

can anyone help?

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:38 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

The only way I know how to do it is by pressing f8, f10, or f12 at Startup. Different machines have different configurations for how to do it. Once there in the BIOS there should be an option for what you want to do. Good luck.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
a reply to: TinySickTears

Look for a 'page 2 ' of the bios. Been a while since I've done it, but it's there somewhere.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:48 PM
link   
It's called boot priority. You have to move your disc drive to the top of the list. It's usually in it's own 'boot' tab in your BIOS menu. Have to tab through the menus.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:49 PM
link   
thanks for the help. i will look again
i was reading some more and i guess windows 8 has something called uefi.
some kind of safeguard that you have to enter and turn off safe boot or some # like that.
i will try again in a bit. its horror story time

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Tiny, when you get the BIOS screen as you were in, tab over to Configuration heading. Should allow you to change boot order under that heading.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:22 PM
link   
If its not under the Configuration heading, check under the Boot heading. Depending on the computer it probably has different variations. On my computer to boot from a cd I would have to also go under Configuration to enable cd-rom boot as mine is disabled.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 06:23 PM
link   
You will need to enable Legacy Boot and disble UEFI, this should allow you to boot from your CD.

Windows 8+ all uses UEFI motherboard to add a level of protection against stolen products, making it hard for people to access the data on the hard drive. However it doesn't stop them from reinstalling a new OS.

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 08:33 AM
link   

top topics

join