It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Red Flag 2016!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hey guys, first thread, so please let me know if I goof anything up.
If this thread should be posted in the Area 51 & other facilities forum instead of this one, please let me know

Since I couldn't make any aviation events this year (besides the blue angels flying over SF, which was awesome!), I've been eagerly awaiting Nellis to announce the 2016 schedule for Red Flag. The other week, I was pleasantly surprised to see that Nellis has finally posted the Red Flag 2016 Schedule !! Yahoo!!
I'll probably be going out to the eastern side of NTTR for either exercise #1 or #2. but I wanted to see if anyone could answer a question I have:
What kind of planes will be flying during the cold month exercises?
Do you think there will there be more of a chance to see exotic birds in the sky during these cold month exercises, since the conditions are so inhospitable to most ground observers? I still haven't figured out which exercises will be conducted with only our closest allies, but I have a feeling that would be the right time to be watching the refueling zones for exotic planes. If there is no better chance of seeing exotic craft, would there be any other pro's you can think of to visit during this time of year?
Let me know if you have any thoughts or opinions on the best times and places to see & hear something fun in the sky!!
Disclaimer:
Not to stray from the subject of aircraft, but I wanted to share something about my desert training. I know all too well how inhospitable the desert can be during winter & early spring months. I am an experienced long distance hiker who's put in alot of days and months doing desert & mountain backpacking, I am expecting to deal with lightning, rain, and snow, and have the equipment and experience to keep myself alive & (somewhat) comfy! i am also quite farmiliar with the landscape of the range. I've been going out to R-4808N and TTR since I was quite young. Dad and I used to take road trips out there twice a year. Still have loads of photos from the border and tikaboo circa 1996, one of my favorite pics from those trips is a photo of myself in front of the old "use of deadly force authorized" signs, pointing a set of binoculars directly at the camo dudes in the old school Cherokees

Anyways, thanks in advance folks!!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:14 PM
link   
any ideas on participants ? in the UK last year we had the Indians with their sukhoi's ...a rare and awesome sight for me

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:21 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

Foreign aircraft can show up at any of them. They usually announce who will be there a month or so ahead.

The first part of week one you get the usual players, the fighters, AWACS, B-52s. Then later in the week if there are going to be B-2s or the like they'll fly in, and things really get going.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:22 PM
link   
a reply to: yittak

It's usually a month to two months prior that the list goes up of who will be there.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:52 PM
link   
a reply to: Zaphod58

Thanks for the quick response Zaphod! Can't wait to bring y'all back some fun photos! I have a feeling i'll be going to 16-2, since ill be down at EDW right before the fun begins.
Is Anyone else planning on freezing their bollocks off and attending 16-2? I've got a two, possibly three man team who are counting down the days, and we're always willing to pass our flasks around to others joining us at the campfire(or inside our snow proof tents, if the weather is anything like im expecting it to be
)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:55 PM
link   
a reply to: HomeyKXTA

We're thinking about going back for one of the summer sessions actually.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:25 PM
link   
Welcome to the nut house

The ones you wont see are the ones you either cant see or wont let you see
But would think they would be there maybe...

posted on Oct, 29 2015 @ 02:02 AM
link   
a reply to: Blackfinger

Spoken like a true vet of these forums, Blackfinger. My rule of thumb on this site has always been: pay attention to what's Not being specifically mentioned. It's how those with NDA's communicate to us civvies

I still remember the first time I found out a fellow bartender used to be air force Intel and worked out of Japan during the mid 90's. I mentioned a callsign that I pieced together referring to the planes that flew with the F-117.
Man, I've never seen someone's eyes bulge so big before.

he responded by just saying "my C.O taught me never to admit, nor deny, anything that I ever saw. Just to laugh and smile... And I'm not laughing or smiling right now...f***er"
Score one for the aviation nerds!!
One more thing: this is me, 20 years ago, enjoying the beautiful mountains around tikaboo valley! Please let me know if this link does not work!

edit on 10292015 by HomeyKXTA because: Picture

top topics

join