It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Forget about Halloween, if this doesn't scare you nothing will

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:36 PM
link   
thebulletin.org...

"John Bordne, a resident of Blakeslee, Penn., had to keep a personal history to himself for more than five decades. Only recently has the US Air Force given him permission to tell the tale, which, if borne out as true, would constitute a terrifying addition to the lengthy and already frightening list of mistakes and malfunctions that have nearly plunged the world into nuclear war.

"The story begins just after midnight, in the wee hours of October 28, 1962, at the very height of the Cuban Missile Crisis. Then-Air Force airman John Bordne says he began his shift full of apprehension. At the time, in response to the developing crisis over secret Soviet missile deployments in Cuba, all US strategic forces had been raised to Defense Readiness Condition 2, or DEFCON2; that is, they were prepared to move to DEFCON1 status within a matter of minutes. Once at DEFCON1, a missile could be launched within a minute of a crew being instructed to do so...."

This is the second (known) incident involving nuclear attacks stopped at the last moment by brave, wary crewmembers. The other involved a Russian nuclear torpedo that was halted by a subordinate officer who was rightfully suspicious an attack was warranted.

Likely there were many more such incidents to go along with those we know about, such as mistaken alerts by Vela satellites, the day a NORAD training tape broadcasting an attack in progress was mistakenly issued, and numerous others.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:52 PM
link   
Launching nuclear missiles has always been, and remains, a game of chicken the world cannot afford to play. It is amazing that these morons in charge of our governments around the world have even considered this a possibility.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:57 PM
link   
a reply to: Metallicus

Yeah well said , again we are presented with the sad fact that our "elected leaders" would choose to waste every single soul on this planet and everything we have build for what.... the win?? what exacly are you winning ??

Cannot win things wich are vaporized by a nuclear holocaust.

sorry if i come across like i am ranting , geuss i am.
Stuff like this angers me.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:59 PM
link   
Heros were on both sides in this...
in.rbth.com...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:01 PM
link   
Don't worry. It's only a matter of time before someone comes to power who doesn't care about MAD. Someone who just wants to watch the world burn for whatever reason.

When that happens all bets are off, and the more countries who have nukes, the greater our chances it happens.

But just rememeber: It's only fair that every country has nukes now ...

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:04 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
in.rbth.com...

wow! Incredible I've never heard of this!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:25 PM
link   
a reply to: bronco60

My reply might not be popular among most members but it's just my opinion, nothing more. I do know that some ATS members share the same opinion as me on this topic.

I must admit that I've always considered most parts of the Cold War to be a conspiracy by those involved to justify the massive funding of their military industrial complex, all powerful nations need a BOGEYMAN. I also believe that the whole Cuban Missile Crisis was a staged event to serve several agendas.

They always have stories like these, now days it's new revelations in regards to the staged raid on the Osama compound in Pakistan. Many people reasonably believe that it never happened and all the new "details" being leaked are just red herrings to make us think it actually happened, that is what I think the new info in your OP might be, a red-herring to distract us from the possibility that it was all a lie.

Nothing against you or your thread, just my two cents.

I don't mind getting flamed

Thank you for the thread and new information (new for me at least if it is factual).

S n F for promoting interesting discussion.

ETA:

Off topic - I enjoyed your posts in the latest OJ Simpson thread

edit on 28-10-2015 by real_one because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:36 PM
link   
Nowadays, I have serious concerns about ISIS members among the European refugee´s wave.
edit on 28-10-2015 by Nelsonbjr because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:37 PM
link   
Other events that were going on at the same time are equally alarming in my opinion.

Operation Northwood

edit on 28-10-2015 by deliberator because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 02:47 PM
link   

It is the tiniest of things that cause the biggest errors…

cracked

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:12 PM
link   

originally posted by: cavtrooper7
in.rbth.com...

Nice read,

A computer defense system malfunctioned and misreported a nuclear attack.

The officer was fired for not launching a counter strike(essentially).

The system was exposed to have a design weakness.

Now the soviets have an automated fail safe system that will automatically launch missiles if it's programmed perimeters are met and no human intervention is taken to STOP the missiles.

I really don't know why everyone(govs) are so gungho to get computers involved and in charge of our weapons. Don't these people have iPhones? Computers? Set top streaming boxes? Can you do a hard(unplug it) restart on a nuclear defense system when it freezes up?

I mean, self driving cars are an asinine idea, those WILL result in the deaths of people when they maleverything malfunctions). Let's keep their greasy little bytes off of the nuclear hardware shall we.
edit on 28-10-2015 by MisterSpock because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:54 PM
link   

I happen to know a man who was in active service (NATO) that very night.
He told me he was walking around in the city pondering that very much same situation.
So... I can concur on this in info being right on the money.
Thank you for this. I think this John Bordne is telling it like it was. At least I know the Cuban missle story is very much the truth!

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 04:46 PM
link   
a reply to: real_one

Thanks for the kudos on the OJ thread, it's one of those rare consipiracy-type things I've come to find has merit (not the cop aspect, the "his son did it" aspect which I think holds a lot of water).

I think there is a great deal more to the idea that the Cold War was largely pushed by the political and industrial/bureaucratic interests of "elites", mostly in the US but also in the USSR. You have to remember, people like General Patton were calling for the nuclear annihilation of the Soviet Union just after WWII, at a time when it had been devastated by the loss of 20 million and very nearly destroyed. And it was a politically popular thing, to hate on "atheistic commies".

Both countries, but mainly the US, were also left with a vast munitions and war infrastructure that had lifted the country out of the Depression. Those well-paying jobs had to be protected, and there was no other way for that to happen at scale other than having a perpetual enemy that like to yell scary words and bang shoes on podiums. Also, the bureaucratic generals in the Pentagon all knew that the coming nuclear armies would require all-out efforts against the real enemies--their opposite numbers in the sister armed services! (Army, Airforce, and Navy/Marines). So you had people like Curtis Lemay demanding fleets of 10,000 Minuteman missils and similar numbers of bombers, and multi-billion dollar nuclear carrier groups or even individual nuclear submarines which could, all on their own, completely destroy the USSR. Even the army got into the act, with nuclear-tipped surface-to-air missiles set to explode over the cities they defended, and tiny nukes with two-man crews whose lethal radius extended past their range.

I doubt it was all of a plan, however--just grubby, powerful people justifying their personal ambitions and greed with the fear of the day. It's the oldest story in humanity.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 05:22 PM
link   
20 close calls nuclearfiles.org...

Imagine what it will be like when half the world has nukes.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:42 PM
link   
a reply to: joho99

Right now I think the biggest concern is Pakistan, with their inferiority complex and worrisome factions.

new topics

top topics

join