It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Help ATS via PayPal:
learn more

What is enough for you to clear your conscience?

page: 1

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:34 PM
It seems to me everyone on a site like this is here to speak out against the evils of the world in one way or another. I used to hope that doing that could make a significant difference but experience has taught me that that belief was naive and unrealistic. I mostly post now to clear my conscience and to make a statement to the universe/"God"/a higher power that I was taking some kind of stand against the things I believe are wrong.

I'm starting to wonder if posting anonymously is enough. Don't get me wrong, I take measures in my personal life to stand up against injustice. However, when it comes to the most significant issues facing the human race, there is very little most individuals can do except for speaking out IMHO. I think there are different levels of speaking out, what is enough for you?

Level 1: Speaking out anonymously

In most cases, level 1 has been enough for me up until now. I'm starting to wonder if it's enough in the big picture. If there is a "judgment day" after we die, will anonymous posts be enough?

Level 2: Attempting to effect change through third parties

This would include writing personal letters to lawmakers or giving to charities that take action against the things that you consider to be wrong. I put this ahead of level 1 because you're giving your resources (beyond time) to attempt to effect change or you're at least putting your real name on your letters. Is it enough?

Level 3: Using your real name and likeness and/or voice to speak out

This is far more effective than level 1 IMHO because people tend to trust someone who uses their real name and likeness and/or voice to speak out. Is it enough?

Level 4: Protesting in person

Since almost everyone ignores protesters, I think level 2 and level 3 are superior to this method. Is it worth putting yourself in harm's way for something that is almost always ignored?

Level 5: Physically trying to stop what you believe is wrong

In most cases, this is doomed to failure and you're almost certain to end up in prison or worse. There are times when it's a must to do this but most of the time it is downright foolish IMHO.

What is enough for you to clear your conscience?
edit on 27-10-2015 by Profusion because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:51 PM
Honesty is enough.
Live honest, be honest.

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:57 PM

edit on 28-10-2015 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 27 2015 @ 11:58 PM

edit on 28-10-2015 by hknudzkknexnt because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 12:35 AM
Why would anyone have a guilty conscience for something that is outside of their control? However, to answer your questions and assuming your options are inclusive and accurate...

Level 1: Speaking out anonymously. Yes.

Level 2: Attempting to effect change through third parties. Yes.

Level 3: Using your real name and likeness and/or voice to speak out. No. I value my privacy too much.

Level 4: Protesting in person. Useless (and annoying).

Level 5: Physically trying to stop what you believe is wrong. This depends entirely on the situation.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:07 AM

originally posted by: Metallicus
Why would anyone have a guilty conscience for something that is outside of their control?

I believe that if you're supporting an organization such as the US federal government directly or indirectly you become culpable for its actions to some extent. I think it's a minuscule extent for most people on most issues but the culpability is still there.

IMHO, if one accepts that situation and doesn't at least speak out against the things being done by the organization they belong to that they don't agree with then they should feel guilty about that. Furthermore, I wonder about the karmic consequences of that

Here's a video on that topic:

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:28 AM
Be the change you would like to experience.
Free will is not violated in the process.
Love is always offered only.
Realization is the way and its effect does not stand in the way of Harmony.
One improvement is a change to the whole world.
Know this to be true.
a reply to: Profusion

edit on 28-10-2015 by ancientthunder because: fix a line

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:47 AM

Guilt is a useless emotion.

And karma is just another way to make ourselves feel good- 'they'll get theirs'. I dont believe in karma. And believe in karmic debt even less. What did the little boy or girl who is dying of cancer ever do to anyone that would warrant them getting cancer? They're carrying debt from a past life. okkkaayy!

My conscience is clear, so I didn't answer your questions.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 03:07 AM

Interesting idea.

In real life, I do Level 5 a lot. But I have to disagree with your conclusion. You implied that physically meant through violence, but we can physically stop something without using violence. I include meetings, negotiations, lobbying, and business/trade battles with the "opponent" as Level 5 options too. (And physically preventing someone from attacking someone else can also be done without violence.)

I almost never do Level 4. I observe protests but my identity isn't one that should be too involved directly in them. It's not because I'm famous, infamous, or anything extreme. But I'll leave it at that.

My entire career is based on my Level 3 works.

I look at your Level 2 as an extension of Level 5. Delegating, teamwork, and coordinating with independent allies is also a direct form of changing something. And as time passes and hopefully I get more powerful, I'll do Level 2 stuff more and let my future lackeys & disciples do all of the work, muahahaha!.

As for Level 1, meh. I do things like ATS mostly as an outlet for myself. I don't expect it to have any effect though. People who hate what I love & love what I hate probably won't change their feelings just because they've hurt my feelings or pissed me off. You can see that in the constant anti-Islam threads that pop up.

Though the optimist in me believes each of my serious posts has the potential to reach someone. And just that possibility is enough to keep me doing it. Though I would never treat the anonymous posts as my only way to clear my conscience (hint hint). In other words, become the change you wish to see & become a personified version of the path you believe in.

That's also why I boycott everything I disagree with. Because God willing, I'm never going to choose between the lesser of 2 evils again. I'd rather choose the option that I'm at peace with, even if it's unpopular or taboo.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 07:22 AM
I have to admit that it would be quite entertaining to die, and then as you float outside the gates of heaven, awaiting your judgement, god's gigantic booming voice speaks from somewhere above you:

***Clink...Clink....Clink*** (gates slowly open)

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 08:30 AM

To stand in front of an on-coming tank is putting your ideals into action, ironically, even if you don't move a muscle.

That would be the work of a true idealist.

Some just talk a good story from a secured position of cover.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 10:07 AM
Why do you clean the outside of the cup? Don't you know that which made the inside, also made the outside? If you clean the inside of the cup, the outside will become clean too.

and so, the first will be last to enter the Kingdom.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:34 PM
1. The Universe is fed up to the teeth on martyrs. They want people to be freed from lower enslaved realms in safe constructive manners. Seriously.

2. Being brave and speaking up, finding solutions, forming groups, assertively getting in the way of their global goals, is good. We have a level of protection when we get on track doing the work we came to do and its part of waking up, enlightenment, meditation, and soul work, to find our way to this.

But, action steps, be they community work/projects, advocacy for those who can't and nudge others to sign their names or phone in/write in, or start a project that helps and shines the way. However we do it is still best done in your communities with some push to nation or group mind type of stand against corruption, only possible with enough on board.

3. Only a few are led to make a bigger stand to bring more onboard basically, and that is often a dangerous role even in a free'er nation. I see them as the angels who signed up for the task, whereas they were already on page with how to free this planet and were not wishing for communities and people here to risk their children's lives and be harmed, but to use intelligent wayshowing methods that evil has no ability to bring charges against. Your crime, you were too good.

Some bigger wings come in but the goal is to protect the people.

4. We don't want to have people risk anything online for example, any risk would be in community work.

Only the elite want to promote, martyrs, and target people.

They also know that many online are not the well heeled professionals in their towns, though some are. Most who have had out of the box experiences do so because they've gone through hardships.

So what this would do is create alot of blaming and shaming of those who are putting out what they can and what they've learnt.

Its from the bottom up that change really comes, and some would like to belittle those who are doing what they can.

But the reality is, that well heeled group has been given alot of time to change things around, and they usually don't. For example, there are no well organized community watchdog groups that enlighten and solve problems in every community that all of us are invited to participate in and that can organize to fire corrupt leaders and create homes for homeless, and win/wins for the people.

If the well heeled were all that, they'd have done it a long time ago.

They're not, they're programmed to blame everyone not like them, and to be selfish instead.

posted on Oct, 28 2015 @ 01:38 PM
We're trying to get people out of here safely, ie that they don't drag their gravity/frequency down beyond easy repairs by harming others. For some they're encouraged to bigger steps but most its its just get them out of here safely, this being a very damaging, dangerous low frequency realm run by insane despots who work to send you to the abyss and a huge timeout.

Everyone here has enormous loving families/Family, that does not want them to be overtaken by dark side.

new topics