It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Rumsfeld signs Iraqi stolen property!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Yes Yes, a new wave of criticism is set to hit US Defense Secretary Donald Rumsfeld seen here signing a Baghdad roadsign!

What really gets me about this is that destryoing the infrastructure in Iraq through an unjust pre-emptive war is not enough for this guy, but he clearly condones the stealing of that infrastructure as well. I guess you have free reign when you�re the occupier of a third world country. I�m sure he�d have charges pressed against me if I stole and then asked him to sign the �Welcome Friends� sign Mrs. Rumsfeld must have hanging on their front door. I guess the moral of the story is, if it belongs to nameless, faceless, brown people, it�s fine to �take� as your own.

posted on Jan, 3 2005 @ 06:36 PM
link   
relax dude, its just a sign.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:15 AM
link   
Are you kidding me?

Ok, let's just say Canada were to invade/occupy Alaska for reasons of liberating Americans to provide them with federal health care
. How would the US public interpret the Prime minister of Canada autographing American infrastructure or road signs in victory?

Seriously now. It's very symbolic of conquerors, or conquerism if that's the right word.

America's purprose will be to rebuild Iraq's infrastructure, not to claim pieces of it as personal memorabilia with signatures of US defense secretaries.

[edit on 4-1-2005 by syntaxer]

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Q: How would a lifelong resident of Baghdad feel viewing this photograph?

I don't think "It's just a sign" applies.

The photograph displays a (relatively minor) act of public stupidity.

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 07:23 PM
link   
for any other politician, this would be a big act of public stupidity

but for 'Rummy', acts of public stupidity seem an everyday occurance

people may say that Bush is an idiot (and he is, IMO), but Rumsfeld is an evil, arrogant idiot. i swear the guy does things like this just to pi$$ people off

posted on Jan, 4 2005 @ 08:54 PM
link   
Well now we really know why they went in seeing as there are no WMDs, and all the links to Al-Qaeda came after the invasion...

Its because one the major republican backers must be a roadsign collector, and he needed the Baghdad sign to complete his collection so bush drove in and destroyed the country... well, maybe not... but its definately more credible than the excuses the bush mob came up with...

But i agree this is a disgrace... they're supposed to be fixing the country up, but instead they are condoning the theft of the infastructure... those roadsigns aint cheap, and its you, the US people, have to pay for it.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 10:08 PM
link   
You got to be kidding people are worried about Rumsfeld signing a road sign no harm has been done thou the act!
Was the photo taken in Iraq?
Why arent you people worried about US military tactics and winning the battle for the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people?

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:01 PM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

Why arent you people worried about US military tactics and winning the battle for the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people?

The photo is a sign of stupidity from the Secretary Of Defence, that has the opposite effect.

The arrogant position of "winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people" would in itself have the opposite effect, comparing the relative histories of the two nation states concerned.

posted on Jan, 5 2005 @ 11:17 PM
link   
The photo is a sign of stupidity from the Secretary Of Defence, that has the opposite effect.

The arrogant position of "winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people" would in itself have the opposite effect, comparing the relative histories of the two nation states concerned.

There was nothing stupid about Rumsfeld putting his name to the sign. The so called arrogant position of winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people is vital in turning the people against the insurgents.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by xpert11

There was nothing stupid about Rumsfeld putting his name to the sign. The so called arrogant position of winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people is vital in turning the people against the insurgents.

I'm sure the quickest way to winning the hearts and minds of the Iraqi people is to autograph stolen property in celebration amungst US troops. Oh yea sure, that provides a clear message of liberator and in no way could they confuse that with conquerer.

Also,

If you're an American citizen xpert11, your tax paying dollars will go towards the eventual replacement of that road/infrastructure sign.

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 05:58 PM
link   
Given the current state of infrastructure in Iraq I doubt that the roadsign was even in the ground. Im not an American citizen dont forget the USA is rebuilding two countries. Rumsfeld act will hardly have any affect on the local population.
How do you know the sign was stolen?
How do you know the sign wasnt found on a rubbish dump or a local member of the population wanted rid of it and gave it to US troops?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:13 PM
link   
Hmmm, in America it is a federal offense to steal a road sign of any type. But it's ok, it was just some brown country, why should we care?

Fine, Not Canada, they to friendly, Japan invades Hawaii to liberate from the idiot causing WWIII, then the PM comes and signs a, IDK, book bag, stop sign, bike, car, whatever, that was taken after a bombing. Gee, not nice is it?

posted on Jan, 6 2005 @ 07:37 PM
link   
Hmmm, in America it is a federal offense to steal a road sign of any type. But it's ok, it was just some brown country, why should we care?
Again you havnt proved the sign is stolen , hence there is no proof any crime took place. It might be a federal offense in the USA but Iraq isnt the USA and people should be more worried about the kidnapings and the insurgents trying to undermine Iraqs future.
What is a Iraqi citzen going to be more worried about a roadsign that most likely came from a rubbish dump or the insurgents trying to undermine the countrie?

top topics

join